Has no Touch Icing Changed The League?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I was more under the assumption that the no-touch icing was implemented due to the increasing speed of the game, not the other way around. Seems like too small and insignificant of a change to so drastically alter how teams play the game.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
The trapazoid rule has a bigger impact than most think. Gives a higher probability for a successful zone entry and makes it harder to stack the blue line or neutral zone.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
"Space plays" have done a lot to make speed as valuable as size used to be. Similarly, "puck moving defensemen" are now more valuable than "powerplay quarterbacks". The first pass from your own zone is now more valuable than the bomb from the point.

The Red Wings used to do this breakout that I recognize my and many other contemporary teams doing, I think eliminating the red line has done a lot to change the nature of puck possession.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
The increased emphasis on speed would have happened regardless of no touch icing imo. And with the increase in speed, more serious injuries would have occurred had no touch icing not been adopted. It's a shame that Joni Pitkanen's career had to prematurely end that way. :(

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Great rule change. The old touch up icing was brutal, speaking as an old Dman. Simply a situation made for boarding at high speed.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
It made no change to the game aside from less injuries to me, so it has been a positive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad