Has McDavid seemed off the last few weeks?

BamaOil

Nov 18, 2018
Part of it honestly is he gets absolutely molested in the neutral zone even when he doesn't have the puck, and sometimes he gets double teamed in the neutral zone, so he's having to literally jump and dodge around assholes just to drive into the offensive zone to make himself available for a pass. It's even worse when he does attempt a zone entry, makes it really difficult to drive the puck deep in the zone when you have to figure skate around 2 guys. It's incredible that his zone entries are still high high chance % even with how other teams are playing him right now. Connor is fine, he serves up amazing passes in the o zone almost every shift, it's just tough for even Drai to capitalize on how quick his decision making is.

Also, as much as I do love Drai, he's kinda bad at catching passes, and he's really bad at one timers. They have great chemistry together, but ultimately it's 2 playmakers playing together...you're not going to be seeing amazing goals scored on a nightly basis with that setup.

Connor desperately needs somebody like Hoffman playing RW. A lot of people on here were talking about trading assets for Hoffy last year, and a lot of people liked the idea, especially with all the Sens drama that was happening. This is why so many people really want Pulju to pan out...Connor needs a shooter bad.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I would say yes. In last series of games Connor has been merely mortal.

Still very good production just not the rocket production, mostly, that we see.

For instance McDavid and Drai have identical box cars in last 8GP 3G 8A 11pts each. The same.

Anytime anybody is on pace with McD that's either McD being cold or another hot. A little of both in this instance.

But Connors splits often have a meteoric start and a bit of slow down. Connor picks it up again usually as season progresses. you can't play 82 at top speed. Nobody can.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Kinda sux? Really?
As if he wasn't the best and most dangerous player on the ice these past few games.
Name another player who created more chances than him 5on5?
Maybe double shifting is taking some toll but the guy is giving it all he can at both ends of the ice.
People expecting a 4 pt night every game need to chill.
Like I said by his standards. He seems to have his weakest month in November every year.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
He does look slightly less dynamic then he usually does... but people mentioned this happened last November too. Even when he's "off" hes still a beats. But agreed, I think he might have a flu or something. Dont think anyone should be overly worried.

UnicornONtheCOBB

Jun 29, 2016
I wonder how active the Oilers organization is with sending video, of game after game, and play after play of missed calls that continue to go called on Connor? The garbage that they don't call everything on him because they'd have to call way too many penalties is joke. That Connor is too good, so they have to let things go to even the playing field. Come on. Look at the Oilers, we're far from too good, far from dominating. We won the lottery and got McDavid, then we paid him huge money, not saying that he's not worth it, but it's huge money, and we/he deserves for the game to be called by the letter of the law, just follow the rule book. He should have an advantage, he's that good, that special, that unique. If teams continue to hook and hold, then call it, if they take 10 penalties on Connor in one game, call them, either they'll stop doing that garbage, or they'll be punished for it. Forget the cap moves Chia made, he definitely made a couple pretty big mistakes (Hall, Reinhart, Lucic), but that doesn't mean Connor and Edmonton should be punished and not get the calls they deserve. Having Connor on your team SHOULD be A HUGE advantage, letting 80 to 90 percent of the should be penalties go on him is just sad, not just for him, but for the league. The Oilers should be all over the league, and social media, I don't understand how this isn't a bigger story. I get, other players don't get all the calls either, but their is no comparison, WAY more gets let go on Connor. He's faster, he's better, he has the puck more, and he plays more than any other forward in the league. He has, ALL TIME GREAT SKILLS, and he's not being given the chance to use them, like he should.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
There were a couple games 2-3 weeks ago where he looked a bit off (by his standards), but recently? No, I think he's looked just fine.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
He has a few shifts every game where he looks like himself, a few shifts where he looks like he's not really paying attention or fully engaged, and the majority of his shifts where he looks like he's at about 80%.

Not sure what's going on. Maybe he's just sick, maybe he's just pacing himself this season, who knows.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
No. I think its more he's getting use to Hitch's system. Some adapt faster than others

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Also, better to be winning then losing with McDavid being ultimate dynamic right?

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
McDavid is still performing much better than the average player, but I have noticed this too. A handful of passes he made in the last few games were completely off the mark and out of character. Probably ill just like last season around this time, and it doesn't help that he's playing so much.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
He looks much better with the lead - has some extra jump in his step - think the losing is just getting to him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Think that the constant hooking, interference and holding not being called is finally starting to slow him down. It hasn’t been getting called at all so teams are doing it at will knowing they’ll get away with it 9/10 times or better.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Think that the constant hooking, interference and holding not being called is finally starting to slow him down. It hasn’t been getting called at all so teams are doing it at will knowing they’ll get away with it 9/10 times or better.
Seems to be a mandate to keep "parity" this way for the league, just like to keep certain markets viable. System is messed up and its getting more obvious every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->