Has Matthews struggled in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
It's been 2 games and the whole team looked like shit. He will be fine.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
He does need to be better, but I'm not sure if he is fully healthy. Nylander needs to be better as well. Same with JVR. At least Marner picked up a couple of points.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Most young players take a few playoffs to hit their stride. It’s a completely different game. I haven’t watched too closely but Matthews has been by far the most noticeable Leaf on offense. I reckon it’s just a matter of time for him. Ideally a guy like Matthews gets his start on a team where he can be a little bit of a passenger at times. It has to be extremely difficult for him at 19 or 20 to have the hopes of a nation pinned to his back. I think he’s doing well considering.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I mean has been against some elite veteran centers everywhere he goes in the playoffs. Still insanely young, let the kid develop even more and im sure he will be fine

Reactions: egelband

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Matthews is awesome, but after the nonsense we had to endure at the beginning of the season I'm glad to see him struggling, even though we'll never see humility from most leaf fans.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
If Matthews gets no points and the series goes five, three more, then eichel will have finished with more points then Matthews in the same amount of games played, on a team that scored nearly a hundred less goals.

generational

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
Too few games to generate a fair opinion imo. Right now he's playing against the best defensive forward of his generation and the best line in hockey. It's his 2nd season as well.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I mean if you watched the box score sure but he's been playing really well and should have had more points then what he has based off his play. Unfortunately that is not the way the world works so his stat line isn't as pretty.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Matthews is awesome, but after the nonsense we had to endure at the beginning of the season I'm glad to see him struggling, even though we'll never see humility from most leaf fans.

would you consider a 73% corsi at 5-vs-5 and a +50% corsi against the leagues best 2 way #1 line struggling?

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Matthews is the last player I’m worried about. When Frederick Andersen lets in 3 goals on 4 shots again and Mike Babcock is putting komarov on the 1st line that’s the issue.

When you’re down 3 or 4 goals right off the bat you can’t play your game because you’re in catchup mode. If the leafs can score first it will help them a lot.

Tough to win a cup with a euro goalie which is why Boston and Nashville won’t win the cup. Look for Pitt to 3 peat or the Jets from the west.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
the commentary team has really bothered me sugar coating his play.

Hearing Jim Hughson overstate everything he did all game was nauseating.

“The Bruins are all over the Leafs but HERE COMES AUSTOOOON MATTHEWWWWWS.....(does nothing) ...the puck goes the other way and AUSTON MATTHEWWWWWS ...gets checked.”

Craig Simpson’s “isn’t it? Wasn’t it? Shouldn’t it? “ is getting so annoying too.

Reactions: flamesforcup

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
the commentary team has really bothered me sugar coating his play.

Hearing Jim Hughson overstate everything he did all game was nauseating.

“The Bruins are all over the Leafs but HERE COMES AUSTOOOON MATTHEWWWWWS.....(does nothing) ...the puck goes the other way and AUSTON MATTHEWWWWWS ...gets checked.”

Craig Simpson’s “isn’t it? Wasn’t it? Shouldn’t it? “ is getting so annoying too.

He has to pump the star players tires, Boston plays good hockey! Matthews played well but no points, it happens.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
He’ll be fine-it’s just been 2 games and Matthews set up quite a few dangerous opportunities. He cannot be totally shut down in a best of 7 series-he is just too talented for that to happen.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
He is having to go up against arguably the greatest defensive forward of all time on basically every shift

Cry me a river.

My team has one great player. And guess what? When he plays he goes up against every top checker and best d men.

Still produces.

You’d think someone of the caliber of Matthews who is considered universally better by everyone on here could overcome that.

That being said this series is far from over...maybe.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
Matthews is the last player I’m worried about. When Frederick Andersen lets in 3 goals on 4 shots again and Mike Babcock is putting komarov on the 1st line that’s the issue.

When you’re down 3 or 4 goals right off the bat you can’t play your game because you’re in catchup mode. If the leafs can score first it will help them a lot.

Tough to win a cup with a euro goalie which is why Boston and Nashville won’t win the cup. Look for Pitt to 3 peat or the Jets from the west.

Wut. :skeptic:

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
He has been invisible these last two games. It’s been extremely aggravating, as it seems like he’s never even skating hard. IMO, the team will live and die by his leadership. He needs to step up at home.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
Cry me a river.

My team has one great player. And guess what? When he plays he goes up against every top checker and best d men.

Still produces.

You’d think someone of the caliber of Matthews who is considered universally better by everyone on here could overcome that.

That being said this series is far from over...maybe.

Calm down, Eichel is a great player sure but you have never seen him play in the playoffs where the game gets more physical and there is less time and space. Matthews had a solid game tonight created some good chances and had a lot of shots on net. The goals/ point will come. He is already one of the best goal scorers in the league they are going to come eventually he’s way too good for them not to.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Calm down, Eichel is a great player sure but you have never seen him play in the playoffs where the game gets more physical and there is less time and space. Matthews had a solid game tonight created some good chances and had a lot of shots on net. The goals/ point will come. He is already one of the best goal scorers in the league they are going to come eventually he’s way too good for them not to.

Maybe they will.

I expect him to be better at home.

Series isn’t over.

I just don’t think he played a good first two games at all. Even leaf fans were saying he was invisible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->