Has Matthews struggled in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Right...like half the stuff out of Karlsson's mouth this year doesn't have Sens fans thinking he's disloyal and ready to bolt if he doesn't get his money. Great captain lol

Yeah because great Captains need to be 100% loyal to their team until death. I mean look at a guy like Joe Sakic, he would never ever consider signing with another team simply because they were going to offer him more money.

Oh wait: Joe Sakic Signs With The New York Rangers – Throwback Thursday

And with the shit thats been going on in his personal life this year I think he deserves to go wherever he wants, and if you think otherwise, or that it makes him less of a captain you're a horrible human being.

But this isn't about Karlsson, this is about how Matthews has shown he has absolutely zero sense of leadership and has a long way to go if he wants to be the Captain, or the 2nd best player in the league like Leaf fans claim he is.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
"trolling mode off" Matthews is doing ok. Toronto as a team is also doing ok. I would not blame them. Their time will come within 3-4 years from now. Plus they are playing against this year contender, so result should not be a shock.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Matthews was fine. It's just interesting to see all the blame diverted to a list of acceptable individuals to criticize (we'll call it List A) and away from the list of players who must be protected from criticism (we'll call it List B) for no better reason than that they are younger right now. In a few years the individuals on List B I'm sure will be switched from List B to list A.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
GP: 6
G: 4
P: 5
PPG: 0.63

While Austin had a decent showing last playoffs, he's been held scoreless this year. For such a high calibre goalscorer during the regular season, does Austin have trouble elevating his game for the playoffs or has his team failed to support him?
If the Leafs are not winning, then he has not performed well. The blame should be put on the leader.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Yeah because great Captains need to be 100% loyal to their team until death. I mean look at a guy like Joe Sakic, he would never ever consider signing with another team simply because they were going to offer him more money.

Oh wait: Joe Sakic Signs With The New York Rangers – Throwback Thursday

And with the **** thats been going on in his personal life this year I think he deserves to go wherever he wants, and if you think otherwise, or that it makes him less of a captain you're a horrible human being.

But this isn't about Karlsson, this is about how Matthews has shown he has absolutely zero sense of leadership and has a long way to go if he wants to be the Captain, or the 2nd best player in the league like Leaf fans claim he is.

Don't throw in the baby card, he was having a shitshow way before that and no one wishes that baby stuff on anyone. His personal life is one thing, his hockey persona has certainly taking a hit. Why are you looking for leadership from a 20 year old kid anyways with so many vets in the room? Haha. Has the C helped Connor McDavid any? Is he a shit captain because the Oilers were terrible this year?

Reactions: ThewThew

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
The leafs most important players are all kids still. Meanwhile Boston has players like Bergy, Marchand, chara, Rask. Veterans that have been big parts of winning the cup. Add the toronto preassure to that, and im not surprised at all that they are struggling.
These leafs will have their time, but I dont think its right now.
When it comes to Matthews specifically, Boston has had last change these 2 games, he goes against Bergy every time.
Bergy shuts down top lines. Its what he does. Marchand is preeeetty good at shutting down top lines to. Its not easy for the young man.

Athletique_Canadien

Dec 13, 2005
Halifax, NS
He looked a lot better tonight but something was off. He made a blind back pass to Reilly that missed by 3 meters in the O zone. He's not reminding me of Matthews a year ago...

....YET!

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You are telling me McDavid wasn't the leader simply because he was 20 years old last time he was in the playoffs? I suggest you think through your posts before hitting 'Post Reply'.

Define leader? Definitely wasn't the best player on the team in the playoffs.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
The leafs most important players are all kids still. Meanwhile Boston has players like Bergy, Marchand, chara, Rask. Veterans that have been big parts of winning the cup. Add the toronto preassure to that, and im not surprised at all that they are struggling.
These leafs will have their time, but I dont think its right now.
When it comes to Matthews specifically, Boston has had last change these 2 games, he goes against Bergy every time.
Bergy shuts down top lines. Its what he does. Marchand is preeeetty good at shutting down top lines to. Its not easy for the young man.

Washington last year had no Bergeron equivalent.

Toronto fans at this point really wish they drew Tampa, a similarly skilled team without anything resembling Bergeron and/or Marchand.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
You are telling me McDavid wasn't the leader simply because he was 20 years old last time he was in the playoffs? I suggest you think through your posts before hitting 'Post Reply'.

No he wasn't, just because your the team's best player doesn't make you the leader. If you actually followed the Leafs you would know that Marleau and Freddy are more the vocal leaders of the team. McDavid had a bad playoff by his standards so using him as an example here makes no sense. Was McDavid ready for the C in Edmonton? Probably not

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
Washington last year had no Bergeron equivalent.

Toronto fans at this point really wish they drew Tampa, a similarly skilled team without anything resembling Bergeron and/or Marchand.
Yeah but last year they had even less playoff experience, read, no playoff experience.
I honestly dont think they would have done better against Tampa.
Sure Tampa doesnt have a lot of players who has won but they beat the Leafs in experience by a mile still.
Also it could be argued that Tampa is a more skilled team then both the Bruins and the Leafs.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
GP: 6
G: 4
P: 5
PPG: 0.63

While Austin had a decent showing last playoffs, he's been held scoreless this year. For such a high calibre goalscorer during the regular season, does Austin have trouble elevating his game for the playoffs or has his team failed to support him?

Thank you for this.

Hf threads have a way of back firing.

Can't wait for Matthew's hattrick next game.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
4 goals in 8 playoff games so far

but seriously, Matthews is a bum

Ovi 2.0 but with way less career goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events