Has MAF’s Vegas career solidified his HOF status?

MAF: HOF?

• Total voters

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
# 1: I’ve hated MAF since we traded up to draft him.

# 2: IMO MAF was one of the weaker links on this team and a huge reason for the lack of success from 2012 - 2014.

# 3: MAF had a great playoff in 2008 and a very solid playoff in 2009. He had a very good Caps series in 2017. Combining that with his wins record in the Penguins era he clearly was not HOF worthy.

# 4: Enter his exit and career with Vegas. He’s shown that maybe part of the issue with his goaltending in the Penguins system was partially the system.

# 5: He was basically reason # 1: for the Vegas finals run.

Five career SCF appearances (2 as a back up). Likely finished in the top five and potential top three for wins if Vegas continues to be solid.

Great f***ing guy. Never heard a bad word said about him and his character off and on the ice is legitimately untouched in the NHL.

So what do you think? I think his personality combined with his accolades (despite the lack of awards) will result in him being a HOFer. Do not agree with it, but can’t see how it’ll go another way.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
He'll probably get in, and when he does everybody will wonder why a bunch of goalies that were better than him aren't in.

Yinzers will rejoice seeing Yinzer Jesus get enshrined.

Reactions: EightyOne

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Gerry Cheevers made it in despite - like MAF - having zero individual accolades. He was the main goalie on 2 Cup winners though.

In short, I dunno. He shouldn't but he might.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm not sure what's more sad, the fact that people actively hate him and hate people that love a guy that was the consummate professional his entire tenure for the team, or that he's actually a good goalie and you're allowed to let people be homers of his and also dislike him with admitting he's a good goalie that deserves what he's earned.

I hope he gets in the HHOF when his career is over, f*** all these dip shit haters.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Love him as a person. I think he's a good goalie. He's got a great record. I think at times his head was a problem during our stagnant years, but he was never one of the top reasons for us taking so long to get that second cup. That being said...

I don't think you're HOF worthy unless you're one of the very best in your position for a substantial length of time. He's not only never won a Vezina, he's never even been a finalist. I think he's a really good goalie who's played on really good teams, but that's it. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets in on longevity and win count.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Will at least retire at #4 in all time wins, could maybe hit 2nd all time depending how long he goes and what Lundqvist is able to do. Add in the Cup wins and appearances and he’s a lock.

Should he get in is a little different, I guess I understand the argument that he’s never really been a top 3 goalie any given year but he gets results and has done so with 2 different teams. A weird HOFer for sure, but still deserving IMO.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The standard that I've been led to exist for HoFers says he shouldn't be in. Given that people do get in despite not meeting those standards I wouldn't rule it out, but it feels like his is a career that needs more individual hardware.

That said - his role in that fairytale start probably got him a decent chunk closer.

Reactions: tom_servo

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm not sure what's more sad, the fact that people actively hate him and hate people that love a guy that was the consummate professional his entire tenure for the team, or that he's actually a good goalie and you're allowed to let people be homers of his and also dislike him with admitting he's a good goalie that deserves what he's earned.

I hope he gets in the HHOF when his career is over, **** all these dip **** haters.
yep the only Fleury fans who I dislike are the ones that feel the need to hate on Murray simply because he isn't Fleury. I think most people are capable of liking more than one person. I've never really gotten the hate for Fleury either. Thinking we should move on from him? Yeah, sure. That's fair even if I don't agree with it. But some people were/are way past that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
yep the only Fleury fans who I dislike are the ones that feel the need to hate on Murray simply because he isn't Fleury. I think most people are capable of liking more than one person. I've never really gotten the hate for Fleury either. Thinking we should move on from him? Yeah, sure. That's fair even if I don't agree with it. But some people were/are way past that.
Yeah I don't get those people too.

The only thing that I am kind of skeptical about is Murray as the future leader of this team when Sid and Geno are gone. Not in a "I think he'll suck" kind of way, more so...not so sure what kind of leader he is yet kind of way.

But yeah, people that get annoyed by those fans tend to somehow attach the hate for those fans to the player because it doesn't jive with their opinion. That's stupid.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I hope he gets in the HHOF when his career is over, **** all these dip **** haters.

Man, have you ever read a single comment you’ve uttered about Mike Sullivan?

JFC lol

Reactions: Ogrezilla

TheTang58

Nov 30, 2018
# 1: I’ve hated MAF since we traded up to draft him.

# 2: IMO MAF was one of the weaker links on this team and a huge reason for the lack of success from 2012 - 2014.

# 3: MAF had a great playoff in 2008 and a very solid playoff in 2009. He had a very good Caps series in 2017. Combining that with his wins record in the Penguins era he clearly was not HOF worthy.

# 4: Enter his exit and career with Vegas. He’s shown that maybe part of the issue with his goaltending in the Penguins system was partially the system.

# 5: He was basically reason # 1: for the Vegas finals run.

Five career SCF appearances (2 as a back up). Likely finished in the top five and potential top three for wins if Vegas continues to be solid.

Great ****ing guy. Never heard a bad word said about him and his character off and on the ice is legitimately untouched in the NHL.

So what do you think? I think his personality combined with his accolades (despite the lack of awards) will result in him being a HOFer. Do not agree with it, but can’t see how it’ll go another way.
Curious, why do/did you hate MAF from day 1 and do you still feel the same way?

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
He shouldn't get in, but probably has a decent chance because it's a popularity contest.

Reactions: JackFr

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
As others have stated, his personality will likely push him over the precipice since he's not a clear cut lock

My standards are generally this for the HOF:
1) Was he in the conversation for the top 3-5 players at his position for any length of time? A: No, you can't say that
2) Was he someone that dramatically altered the position he played? I.e. Think Broduer with his puckhandling...he made the league invent the trapezoid. A: No, unless you count flopping as a skill

To expound on #2 I think we've discussed this before where MAF was in the league at the wrong time. If he was in a prior era, he could have been a Hasek-lite where he was a pro at baiting shooters. But he was born where goalies were starting to become monsters in net and were utilizing the "blocking" style where their plain surface area made the save. Shooters no longer get baited.

Furthermore his puckhandling has been to his detriment over his career: the Juniors gold medal game, the disaster vs Columbus in the playoffs, etc.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
He'll have the numbers, but I don't personally see him as HHOF goalie. He was just never quite near the top of the league at his position.

I wouldn't retire him number here either, ring of honor though for sure.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Durden Tyler

Dec 19, 2017
I've vote yes, he got the number in the win column with a stack team but we can look the other way. He never got great number because of this stack team who let odd man rush all game long knowing they can out score the opposition. With a more defensive team he shown he can have great number. And in my opinion should have been top 3 his 1st year in Vegas for Vezina. Number was impressive even more with the line-up in front of him. Nobody would have said he was bad if he post the same number as he got with the pens.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
The list of goaltenders who have made the HoF over the past 20 years is quite small. To not have won, or even have been a finalist for a Vezina (among other things) is quite damning for one's chances there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad