Has Kovalchuk turned into a Selke caliber ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
He's been struggling offensively but damn what about his defence ? backchecking, positioning, PK, the whole skillset is here now. Legit 2 way forward.

Could he be a Selke candidate in a foreseeable future ?

DevilChuk*

Probably not.. even if his defensive skills were up there (which they aren't), his reputation will never allow him to win it.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don't know about that, but he sure has looked amazing defensively. He's completely turned into a two-way forward.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
not even close. he's still not even top 5 on our team amongst defensive forwards, which is no slight against him. he's good defensively now, but he's not anywhere near the best defensive forward in the league.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
He's gotten a lot better defensively, but he's still not up to Selke calibre. He might help Zajac win one though if they both keep up their defensive play.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
If he ends the season with a goodly number of goals, and 2/3 of them shorthanded, he'll win it whether he deserves it or not.

Not that much, but that's what I'm talking about. He was a +/- positive PK player last season, with already 2 SHer and plenty of scoring chances, he's already close to that again.

I'm not saying he's a Selke, I was just being curious. How PK is considered in Selke voting ?

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Steve Yzerman's first few seasons in the league was all offense and not much attention to defensively resposibilities. Over time he turned himself into a Selke caliber player so it could happen for Kovy.

frankiedue

Jan 23, 2007
Springfield, NJ
You kind of need to built up some hype in the media to get Selke consideration. If Kovy was always assigned to play against the other team's top lines (ala Pandolfo/Madden), and he shut them down, then he would gain consideration. I believe Deboer likes to use Elias against other team's top lines. In fact, maybe Elias should be in consideration for Selke.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
"Has Kovalchuk turned into a Selke caliber ?"

A Selke caliber what? Cause, I mean, he's not a river. I'm being an *******, I know, but you need to finish your thoughts before you hit post.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Serious question.

Are you smoking pot?

If he ends the season with a goodly number of goals, and 2/3 of them shorthanded, he'll win it whether he deserves it or not.
Nope.

He isn`t a center and doesn`t take faceoffs. He can score twice as much and still not even get a nomination.

See: Marian Hossa getting hosed last year. 2nd best PKer in the league (after Bergeron, who rightfully won the award), consistently one of the best two-way forwards, the best two-way winger since 2008. Voted 13th or 16th, I was so mad I forgot.

But hey, Callahan was 6th.

ROFLcopter flies away.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
he isn't even the best defensive forward on his line.

but if he racks up a bunch of SHG he might. even if he doesnt deserve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad