Has Jacques Martin helped out the Penguins defense system?

Avengers*

We all know Jacques Martin loves to play defense and his past teams has always excelled at playing defense.

Do you think he helped out? Is he just another assisting coach?

Was changing the goalies coach changed Fleury for the best?

Disclaimer: Serious Thread

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
correlation.png

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
1. It's too early to tell.

2. We'll know better after Letang has been back for 10 games or so to see if Martin's system can account for Letang being Letang (for better or worse).

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I don't know whether it's Martin or not but there is one thing that's pretty evident. All the centers are coming back deep into the defensive zone to help out the D-men. We've also been experimenting with a 1-3-1 in 3rd periods.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The early returns are encouraging. Modified LW lock seems to be making zone entry a lot harder for opposing teams to gain the zone.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
The biggest difference that I've noticed in this relatively small sample size, is that both forwards and d-men are actually getting sticks into lanes effectively in the d-zone, which is something that I really haven't seen in DB's tenure. That alone has helped in getting to the transition game and not spending exessive amounts of time in the d-zone, which has been a massive problem in previous years.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Jacques Martin is THE coach who helped a weaker Montreal team knock us out of the playoffs a few years ago. He was the architect behind their success, I was VERY surprised he got fired at all, and at least as equally surprised he was not offered another head coaching job since. We became the beneficiaries of that, and as RRP said, the early returns seem encouraging:

Our first 3 games have been excellent: we appear to be in "mid-season form" (whatever that means, but prime form), and we're playing solidly for the full 60 minutes. We appear to be more coherent, focussed and committed, as well as executing better play defensively. I can only surmise that Jacques Martin is part of the reason (and maybe not just a small part of the reason) we are experience that success.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Jacques Martin is THE coach who helped a weaker Montreal team knock us out of the playoffs a few years ago. He was the architect behind their success, I was VERY surprised he got fired at all, and at least as equally surprised he was not offered another head coaching job since. We became the beneficiaries of that, and as RRP said, the early returns seem encouraging:

Our first 3 games have been excellent: we appear to be in "mid-season form" (whatever that means, but prime form), and we're playing solidly for the full 60 minutes. We appear to be more coherent, focussed and committed, as well as executing better play defensively. I can only surmise that Jacques Martin is part of the reason (and maybe not just a small part of the reason) we are experience that success.

What if we fired Granato and Reirden and were able to sway King to come here from was it Phoenix's assistant?

Headcoach Bylsma
Assistant Martin
Assistant King

That's some expierience for Bylsma and a Malkin fanboy :)sarcasm: ). Crosby/Malkin would get more PK time aswell.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
What if we fired Granato and Reirden and were able to sway King to come here from was it Phoenix's assistant?

Headcoach Bylsma
Assistant Martin
Assistant King

That's some expierience for Bylsma and a Malkin fanboy :)sarcasm: ). Crosby/Malkin would get more PK time aswell.

If Malkin didn't get PK time with the Pens down by 2 with 2.5 minutes left today, then I don't see the scenario where he gets PK time. His parents could be this team's assistants, and Bylsma would send out Gladams under the same scenario next time.

BTW, whatever help Martin has provided Bylsma in terms of the 'system', he hasn't provided Bylsma with the slightest clue about being a competent bench boss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->