Has Every Organization Been the "Punchline" of the League at least Once?

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
the Giants won more than 7 games twice from 1964 to 1980, with an incredible 9 seasons in that time span with 5 wins or less

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Eagles until 2 years ago could never live down the fact that they had never won a Super Bowl. Especially because every other team in the division had done so in the modern era.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Has this ever happened before provided he gets cut.
Signs with two teams ,never plays a game for either team ,gets cut by two teams ,doesnt collect a dime from either team?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
The Bears are the founding franchise of the NFL and have 1 HOF QB in team history. That guy hasn't played football since the 1940s. It's beyond unacceptable. It's a joke.
Someone go post the clip of Bears QBs since Favre took over in 1992.
They've won 3 playoff games since 1988.
They're right there with the Browns and Lions.

Platano King

Current mood
Jun 13, 2019
San Diego
The Giants are the league's current punchline, or at least held that status right up until the Dolphins decided to trade their entire team.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Seattle definitely has, especially the early 90's. They and the Pats of all teams were the worst in the league, and they even f***ed that up by being "almost last" and drafting Mirer while NE got local stud Drew Bledsoe :( who helped reverse their fortunes.

In fact, every QB between Krieg and Hasselbeck was a joke. Dan McGuire 16th overall?!

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Any team with a carousel of QB changes.

Miami since Marino retired
Buffalo since Kelly retired
New York Jets since Namath retired
Denver outside of Elway and Manning.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Bears have had several era's as joke of league

Also the glory that is 1985 is basically a joke at this point since people in Chicago still wont shut the #### up about team and as seen on Thursday the media continues to throw the 85 Bears down throats of fans sick and tired of 85 Bears

In fact, every QB between Krieg and Hasselbeck was a joke. Dan McGuire 16th overall?!

At least you pawned off Rick Mirer on the Bears for a 1st round pick

What a joke of a trade that was

Go to 3:09 for laughs

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Bears have had several era's as joke of league

Also the glory that is 1985 is basically a joke at this point since people in Chicago still wont shut the #### up about team and as seen on Thursday the media continues to throw the 85 Bears down throats of fans sick and tired of 85 Bears

To be fair, the Bears during the Super Bowl era are basically stuck with the 1985 stigma until they win another Super Bowl...heck, do people know the Bears won 8 NFL titles before that? People don't even remember that Cleveland and Detroit were dynasties in the 1950's because their ineptitude in the SB era.

But yeah, the media will never ever shut up about the 85 Bears.
To a degree, people have calmed their minds about the Steel Curtain of the Steelers since they've won 2 Super Bowls since..

Another example would be Dallas, whom have won 3 playoff games since their 1995 Super Bowl title and every year the media hypes them up

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think you know what I mean by "punchline". The teams that the majority of the league laughs at, at their ineptitude both on and off the field. In recent years this has been the Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns, Buffalo Bills.

Has every team suffered this fate at least once? Obviously every team has had very bad years, but are there franchises that when this happened, it just didn't seem to be as big of a joke as for others?

Arizona - Yes
Atlanta
Baltimore
Buffalo - Yes
Carolina
Chicago
Cicinnati - Yes
Dallas
Denver
Detroit - Yes
Green Bay
Houston - Yes
Indianapolis
Jacksonville - Yes
Kansas City
LA Chargers
LA Rams
Miami
Minnesota
New England
New Orleans - Yes
NY Giants
NY Jets - Yes
Oakland - Yes
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
San Fransisco
Seattle
Tampa Bay
Tennessee
Washington

The ones I've marked Are pretty much from my time watching football.
How do you not include Miami?

The Redskins have been.

The Rams have been, especially in STL.

49ers and Giants too.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The Ravens never really have.

I vaguely remember certain organization whining that the league turned off certain illumination devices to make the SB more interesting.

Any team with a carousel of QB changes.

Miami since Marino retired
Buffalo since Kelly retired
New York Jets since Namath retired
Denver outside of Elway and Manning.

Dumbfounded that BWC hasn't gone on a Cutler tirade.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Saints for most of their history until Brees showed up.

In between you had times like Ditka trading all of their picks for Ricky Williams.... then got only 3 years out of him.

The Ravens never really have.

Having one player kill somebody, and then another beat the living crap out of his girlfriend is pretty pretty bad. The Rice one killed them publicly.

But they've also been around for what, 24 years? Plus they are a relatively low key team so even between their SB wins, nobody really paid attention to them.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I vaguely remember certain organization whining that the league turned off certain illumination devices to make the SB more interesting.

Sure they've shown up in the headlines a number of times, but this thread is implying a team that is pretty steadily the butt of most jokes. Not at all comparable to what teams like the Buccaneers or Browns have been through.

I don't think a few players being outspoken about the legitimacy of a power outage in a game that they ended up winning anyways qualifies here.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
And somehow that may still only be #4 for them in terms of NFC Championship game ****shows: 41-0 loss to the Giants in 2000, 38-7 loss to the Eagles in 2017 and IMO the #1 ****show 2009 loss to the Saints in OT.
As far as crushing defeats go, 1998 is still tops for Vikings losses, followed closely by 2009.
2017 barely registers on the scale. I think Vikings fans were just happy to go along on the ride that year and see how long the magic with Keenum would last.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
As far as crushing defeats go, 1998 is still tops for Vikings losses, followed closely by 2009.
2017 barely registers on the scale. I think Vikings fans were just happy to go along on the ride that year and see how long the magic with Keenum would last.
Eagles game was still rough, Nick Foles was going Globetrotters and dropping flea flickers on a defense that hadn't cracked all year. I've never seen anything like 2009 though. Basically doubling the Saints yardage, AP fumbling 3 times (1 was credited to Favre but it was APs fault), the horrendous calls down the stretch, the missed call that injured Favre when he threw a pick that would have been reversed and that the NFL apologized for the next day, that injury playing a part in why Favre threw that interception instead of running and sliding to try to seal the game, and just the general outrage over the NFL's OT rules. I've never seen anything like it and I don't think I ever will again (although it's the Vikings, so you never know).

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Sure they've shown up in the headlines a number of times, but this thread is implying a team that is pretty steadily the butt of most jokes. Not at all comparable to what teams like the Buccaneers or Browns have been through.

I don't think a few players being outspoken about the legitimacy of a power outage in a game that they ended up winning anyways qualifies here.

yeah i'm pretty sure any team/fanbase would've been pissed about that power outage

the ravens fortunately have yet to become a "punchline"

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Saints for most of their history until Brees showed up..

yeah,.. I remember the days of the Aint's.
And New Orleans fans (literally) wearing paper bags as masks to convey their embarrassment.
But I would say Saints franchise started to warm up in the late 80s, with Jim Mora. They had a couple seasons in a row where they won 10+ games, but weren't advancing in the playoffs. Part of their struggle in the late 80s, they were in the NFC West w/the Niners. So even with 10 wins, I think they were having to go into the postseason as a wild card. Niners basically owned that division.. but Saints were legit thru the late 80s-early 90s.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
yeah,.. I remember the days of the Aint's.
And New Orleans fans (literally) wearing paper bags as masks to convey their embarrassment.
But I would say Saints franchise started to warm up in the late 80s, with Jim Mora. They had a couple seasons in a row where they won 10+ games, but weren't advancing in the playoffs. Part of their struggle in the late 80s, they were in the NFC West w/the Niners. So even with 10 wins, I think they were having to go into the postseason as a wild card. Niners basically owned that division.. but Saints were legit thru the late 80s-early 90s.

They were, I mean they had the time in the early 90s where they made the playoffs 3 years in a row.

My point was, you never really heard anything about them until Brees came along and started slinging (except for when Ditka gave away all of their picks for Ricky). Outside of Roaf, Jackson and Andersen they also lacked any sort of signature player until Brees signed there. AT least now they will be relevant for a while, even after he's gone.

Hell it took them 33 years to win a playoff game.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Atlanta's original owner once joked after being asked for his comment on having the toughest schedule for the upcoming season and he said " That's because we can't play ourselves". And who can forget Petrino bailing on the Falcon with a few games left in a very disappointing season, leaving goodbye notes on the lockers and bailing away for a college job? DURING the season!!

Tampa Bay coach McKay was once asked about his teams execution after another consecutive loss and he replied " I'm all for it!".

Reactions: mmvvpp

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
The Giants are the league's current punchline, or at least held that status right up until the Dolphins decided to trade their entire team.
no they aren't, not even the second biggest punchline in NY State
they won 11 games 3 seasons ago, the Bills haven't gotten double digits in wins this century.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad