Has draft pick development improved?

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
As physical training methods, nutrition, skill development, and psychological support for prospects, along with the massive increase in scouting departments, have all become more sophisticated, specialized, and emphasized, has there been any analysis to determine if the percentage of drafted prospects progressing on to NHL careers has increased?

One would think that compared to 20, 30 years ago, as the craft of scouting and developing prospects has become more sophisticated, the percentage of prospects making it to the NHL would increase.

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
As physical training methods, nutrition, skill development, and psychological support for prospects, along with the massive increase in scouting departments, have all become more sophisticated, specialized, and emphasized, has there been any analysis to determine if the percentage of drafted prospects progressing on to NHL careers has increased?

One would think that compared to 20, 30 years ago, as the craft of scouting and developing prospects has become more sophisticated, the percentage of prospects making it to the NHL would increase.
If the percentage of the prospects would increase, which also means the amount of players who enter the NHL from the juniors increases, whereas the number of teams hasn't significantly changed for the last twenty years - at whose expense would that increase be? Earlier retirements? Less undrafted FAs signed (incl. from overseas)?

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
If the percentage of the prospects would increase, which also means the amount of players who enter the NHL from the juniors increases, whereas the number of teams hasn't significantly changed for the last twenty years - at whose expense would that increase be? Earlier retirements? Less undrafted FAs signed (incl. from overseas)?

It does seem the league has been trending younger, with less and less players in the mid-to-late 30s. But yes, that is a valid point that I am interested to see if any stats back that up.

Another possibility would be that if more prospects meet their full potential faster and reach the NHL more consistently, then the average length of an NHL career may decrease, as the league would cycle through players on the decline faster. I think you see that in the NFL.

Last edited:

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I think the talent is concentrating more and more at the top of the draft as teams get better at scouting. Fewer late round stars because they were picked early instead. Would have to see the numbers to quantify it though.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
I have ran these numbers over the years and the median age has been 27 for a long time. Was 26.9 in December when I checked.
Yes, but it isn't younger than compared to 40 years ago. Players are having longer careers due to better training.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Yes, but it isn't younger than compared to 40 years ago. Players are having longer careers due to better training.
It was younger 40 years ago. That was not long after the 18 year old draft was started (1980). There are also a lot more teams now, meaning more jobs. Would be interesting to go further back, although for this discussion, doesn't matter. My point was that the ~27 age has been pretty constant for a long time which that link you posted confirmed.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Depends on the time frame you are talking about. Up till about 78 draft--not all teams took it seriously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad