Has Bergevin made us a better team so far this summer? Part 3

Will Bergevin fill a need with a major acquisition before the start of the 2019-2020 season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Shaw's production has not been replaced. The move seemed to announce that a major acquisition was coming and it turned out it was an all or nothing OS, with MB being out of any other option.

To expect any of the prospects to step up and make up for Shaw is a tall order. I think anything one of them provides, is a bonus. I'd like to see some firepower added to the PP, which would at least address a major concern.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Winning a cup forgives a great deal does it not? Many have faltered throughout history in a variety of endeavors,yet are predominantly forgiven for winning at a crucial moment in time.

In essence all the blame should be put on SS then no? He was the one who gave the nod to hire MB over PM.

well, yes a cup does forgive a lot... which is what i was pointing out in disagreeing with your comment suggesting otherwise.

As for SS... he did what any advisor does, which is provide support to the organization. At the time, although lacking GM experience, MB certainly had the resume to justify his hiring.

What you perhaps have not seen is that SS has been openly critical of MB's approach for several years. I would bet heavily that were he still a part of the organization or held any real sway with Molson, MB would've been rightfully terminated several years ago.

This mess, and its perpetuation, rests squarely on Molson's shoulders.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I’m kind of glad that we had a mediocre off-season. If we surprise and make the playoffs, great! If not, MB gets fired.

surprisingly making the PO's would be terrible as it would further prolong MB's tenure.

That, after 8 years, all of which with a top-5 goalie to build from, we are talking about "surprise playoffs", is testament to how little performance excellence is valued by the organization/ownership.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
well, yes a cup does forgive a lot... which is what i was pointing out in disagreeing with your comment suggesting otherwise.

As for SS... he did what any advisor does, which is provide support to the organization. At the time, although lacking GM experience, MB certainly had the resume to justify his hiring.

What you perhaps have not seen is that SS has been openly critical of MB's approach for several years. I would bet heavily that were he still a part of the organization or held any real sway with Molson, MB would've been rightfully terminated several years ago.

This mess, and its perpetuation, rests squarely on Molson's shoulders.

Right on with the bottom line,all on with GM.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
surprisingly making the PO's would be terrible as it would further prolong MB's tenure.

That, after 8 years, all of which with a top-5 goalie to build from, we are talking about "surprise playoffs", is testament to how little performance excellence is valued by the organization/ownership.
I would not bet on Bergevin getting fired if team misses the playoffs again.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I would not bet on Bergevin getting fired if team misses the playoffs again.

If he wasn't fired for that disastrous 2017-18 season and not only that, he was rewarded with the responsibility of replacing deadwood he had himself appointed to management -- and managed to miss the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years unscathed -- then, nothing will get him fired.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Please let this thread die. At least change the title. Bergevin did next to nothing this summer, and certainly didnt improve the team.

OK, I've added a poll to the thread.

Let's see how many believe that last summer was no fluke and that he can still do something meaningful this summer.

Grandpa

Jul 27, 2019

Here's a little tune for Annakin Slayd to sample.

Take me in, under Karl's wing, bury me deep in Laval.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
We keep saying this... yet every year it’s the same.
No I expected him to stick around after the last season. He had gotten a pass when he started talking reset. So they missed the Pos and that was kinda expected.
This year though, there needs to be progress which means making them.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
OK, I've added a poll to the thread.

Let's see how many believe that last summer was no fluke and that he can still do something meaningful this summer.

Just to be clear, that post wasnt a shot at you Runner, as I know you are only facilitating discussion during an otherwise relatively boring time of the year.

I just really dont see how anybody could honestly make a case that Bergevin improved this team.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just to be clear, that post wasnt a shot at you Runner, as I know you are only facilitating discussion during an otherwise relatively boring time of the year.

I just really dont see how anybody could honestly make a case that Bergevin improved this team.

I don’t remember a slower, more sterile time span after a UFA frenzy than this season. No major acquisition, lots of bottom signings and the team profile looking similar to last season. And Shaw traded in anticipation of a move that never materialized.

And yet several have taken the position that the team got better.

I know this is not the most exciting of threads and can’t think of what else we might be discussing that is not already handled by other threads.

I don’t disagree with your premise and in fact, if the mods feel this thread idea has run its course, then they can wind it down sooner. You are correct — was just continuing a concept that got posters involved.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Here's the evolution of this team since the beginning of last season:

G:
Niemi - - > Kinkaid
#2-3 LD:
Benn - - > Chiarot
Reilly - - > Kulak
#4C:
Peca - - > Chaput - -> Thompson - - > Poehling
#4RW:
Hudon - - > Weise - - > Weal
#4LW:
Deslauriers - - > Cousins
#2RW:
Shaw - - > increased role for one of Byron/Lehkonen

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
At this point, the opening roster could look a lot like last year's team, beyond the 4th line. The lack of additions could be an opportunity for a young player or two to start the season with the team (like Mete and Kotkaniemi the last two years). I am surprised they haven't added a powerplay qb type player as of now.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I’d say Bergevin had a very Bergevin like off-season, he addressed our backup situation, and tinkered with the bottom pairings or our 3rd-4th lines. He didn’t do anything bad per se, but he just kind of carries on moving deck chairs on the Titanic. I just dont think he has any clue how to turn this team into a winner. His supporters are always “I’m willing to give him one more chance” but he’s been here for close to a decade with very little to show for it. Time for a new GM and a fresh plan.
Agreed.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if we do improve next year by virtue of younger drafted players coming in. If Poehling or Suzuki come in and make an impact that would definitely help us. KK will also be one year older... that's all good stuff.

But we aren't going to be contenders until we fix the D. And that's not going to happen by waiting two more years hoping that Romanov and Brook can come in and make an impact. At some point an actual trade is going to have to happen (or UFA signing) for us to seriously improve. Without that, we're not going to ever be able to contend for anything. We'll be a bubble team that is extremely vulnerable to injuries. If Weber or Petry or Price go down we'll be toast. Then we'll hear the excuses about how we were hurt... You can't be that thin back there and expect to win anything.

No excuses. The guy has to make some actual moves to improve the team if we want to go anywhere.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
We're not better and I'm fine with it.

We got a good prospect pool going and another year of high picks could go a long way in terms of building a long term contending team.

Reactions: Frank JT

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We're not better and I'm fine with it.

We got a good prospect pool going and another year of high picks could go a long way in terms of building a long term contending team.
Barring injuries I don't see us having 'high picks' at the end of this year. We'll be a bubble team as we were last year.

Awesome getting CC last year but you can't count on that kind of player at 15th.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Barring injuries I don't see us having 'high picks' at the end of this year. We'll be a bubble team as we were last year.

Awesome getting CC last year but you can't count on that kind of player at 15th.

Depends. I could see us making it as a wildcard team just as easily as we could end up with a top 5 pick. I think a few players played above their head last season, and while a few others have room for improvement, I think a lot will depend on if we can build some momentum early in the season.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Depends. I could see us making it as a wildcard team just as easily as we could end up with a top 5 pick. I think a few players played above their head last season, and while a few others have room for improvement, I think a lot will depend on if we can build some momentum early in the season.
We could make the playoffs for sure. An injury to Weber, Petry or Price would sink us though.

I don't anticipate a high draft pick at the end of the year. If it happens, once again it will be unintentional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad