Has Babcock Been Set Up To Fail?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Supporters of Bab's never preface their accolades with "Best coach of a stacked Canada Olympic team" when they describe him...so, if he is a great coach..."get at 'er and keep grinding" like he loves to say.

You are paid to coach whatever the GM puts in front of you...not a cheat code type team that is stacked like he has had in the past. This is where all of the praise he's been given get's to be proven or disproven.

funny that this shtty coach was chosen for 2 olympics and a world cup by a committee of our brightest hockey minds

of all the possible canadian coaches they picked him , funny that.

Reactions: 54thecup

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Leafs adjusted 5v5 stats this year (via natural stat trick):

CF%: 55.25 (4th in NHL)
SF%: 52.84 (9th in NHL)
SCF%: 56.42 (4th in the NHL)
HDCF% 53.13 (10th in the NHL)

Just Offense:

Corsi For/60: 67.62 (1st in NHL)(by a longshot)
Shots For/60: 34.13 (4th in NHL)
Scoring Chances For/60: 32.3 (1st in NHL)
High Danger Chances For/60 8.22 (15th in NHL)

Just Defense:

Corsi Against/60: 54.77 (13th fewest in NHL)
Shots Against/60: 30.46 (15th fewest in NHL)
Scoring Chances Against/60: 24.95 (13th fewest in NHL)
High Danger Chances Against/60: 7.25 (12th fewest in NHL)

Save%:

87.86 (30th in the NHL)

Leafs have been gelling fairly well with all the new bodies with almost every single number above average to great.....except one of course. The only reason this team isnt at least 5-1 is plainly obvious but it feels like half the fanbase is stuck in groupthink talking about the flat earth. Still need some work on special teams but 5v5, the group has been excellent. Shooting % is going to go up as well as save % come November (or so history tells me). Team looks to be decently coached so far though. We can always quibble about little annoyances but some of this stuff is just too over the top. Seems to me the team needs to focus more on finishing their scoring chances as well as creating better quality ones. Feels unusual that this team has actually been better at preventing high danger chances against than creating them when ranked (but still have a positive differential) but its still early and I'd be interested to see how things evolve in a month or two. Freddy did look far more comfortable last game after that first shaky goal which is massive going forward.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Leafs adjusted 5v5 stats this year (via natural stat trick):

CF%: 55.25 (4th in NHL)
SF%: 52.84 (9th in NHL)
SCF%: 56.42 (4th in the NHL)
HDCF% 53.13 (10th in the NHL)

Just Offense:

Corsi For/60: 67.62 (1st in NHL)(by a longshot)
Shots For/60: 34.13 (4th in NHL)
Scoring Chances For/60: 32.3 (1st in NHL)
High Danger Chances For/60 8.22 (15th in NHL)

Just Defense:

Corsi Against/60: 54.77 (13th fewest in NHL)
Shots Against/60: 30.46 (15th fewest in NHL)
Scoring Chances Against/60: 24.95 (13th fewest in NHL)
High Danger Chances Against/60: 7.25 (12th fewest in NHL)

Save%:

87.86 (30th in the NHL)

Leafs have been gelling fairly well with all the new bodies with almost every single number above average to great.....except one of course. The only reason this team isnt at least 5-1 is plainly obvious but it feels like half the fanbase is stuck in groupthink talking about the flat earth. Still need some work on special teams but 5v5, the group has been excellent. Shooting % is going to go up as well as save % come November (or so history tells me). Team looks to be decently coached so far though. We can always quibble about little annoyances but some of this stuff is just too over the top. Seems to me the team needs to focus more on finishing their scoring chances as well as creating better quality ones. Feels unusual that this team has actually been better at preventing high danger chances against than creating them when ranked (but still have a positive differential) but its still early and I'd be interested to see how things evolve in a month or two. Freddy did look far more comfortable last game after that first shaky goal which is massive going forward.
They’re definitely better than what they’ve shown but the same holes remain. They’re a top offensive team, a middle 3rd defensive team, and goaltending has to be good-to-great if this team is to have a chance.

It appears they still lack jam and that defense isn’t built for the playoffs.

I hope I’m wrong.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
We likely would have won against Boston if the whistles actually did go away. We had the edge at 5v5, they were absolutely obliterating us on the PP. They never did go away though, the amount of penalties in that series was marginally less than what we saw all season.

Yep.

The Bruins won off the Backs of the Bergeron unit's red hot pp -at 5v5 they were relatively neutered

Andersen also didn't help things in game 7...

Edit: typo

Last edited:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Yep.

The Bruins won off thr Babcacks of the Bergeron unit's red hot pp -at 5v5 they were relatively neutered

Andersen also didn't help things in game 7...
No RH PK C was a problem, too. A one legged Zach Hyman was his best option. Credit to Dubas for bringing in Nick Shore. He’ll be a useful addition come playoff time.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
After thinking a lot about it I have decided to behind whatever we’ve got. No point in crying, complaining and moaning. By continuing to complain I realized I am losing interest in hockey.

Of course there are going to be game day rants if we don’t win and Babcock stays status-quo; but other than that I think it’s time (at least for me) to get behind the team

After the season is done (hopefully in June and successfully); it will be time to evaluate.

If for some reason Leafs don’t do well then it’s time to not only pass on judgment on Babs but also on Dubas. Actually more so on Dubas because of how he has handled team composition.

Let’s face it us ranting is not gonna change anything anyway.

So am just gonna enjoy the ride come what may......

P.S. this does not mean I will be giving Dubas cult a free pass; if they hijack threads and justify dubas’ moves without any logical reasoning

Reactions: Volcanologist

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Barrie and Rielly are clear cut at that level -and most metrics have Muzzin being closer to a good #2 than second pairing quality guy
I would honestly say Muzzin is more of a top pairing guy than Barrie is. He can play all situations against a high QoC and gets heavy defensive usage.

Top pairing defenders don't generally require as much sheltering as Barrie has received for the majority if his career. Barrie is an amazingly gifted player, you just need to utilize him in a particular way to get the best benefit

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
After thinking a lot about it I have decided to behind whatever we’ve got. No point in crying, complaining and moaning. By continuing to complain I realized I am losing interest in hockey.

Of course there are going to be game day rants if we don’t win and Babcock stays status-quo; but other than that I think it’s time (at least for me) to get behind the team

After the season is done (hopefully in June and successfully); it will be time to evaluate.

If for some reason Leafs don’t do well then it’s time to not only pass on judgment on Babs but also on Dubas. Actually more so on Dubas because of how he has handled team composition.

Let’s face it us ranting is not gonna change anything anyway.

So am just gonna enjoy the ride come what may......
Did someone hack your account?

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
funny that this shtty coach was chosen for 2 olympics and a world cup by a committee of our brightest hockey minds

of all the possible canadian coaches they picked him , funny that.

So you think he is the ONLY guy who could have won with those teams?...ok then.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
This roster is full of veteran players.

Tavares 10th year veteran
Rielly 7th year veteran
Barrie 8th year veteran
Matthews 4th year veteran
Marner 4th year veteran
Nylander 4th year veteran
Muzzin 7th year veteran
Spezza 17th year veteran
Ceci 6th year veteran
Andersen 6th year veteran

If you are not a rookie then you are a veteran.

Factually correct post.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Boston-St Louis
Washington-Las Vegas
Pittsburgh-San Jose

6 big and heavy teams with elite talent at the top but a balance throughout. With how the whistles go away in the playoffs, you’d have to be an absolute fool to think this Leafs team can win 16 playoff games against teams like that with the current group.

Cox isn’t right very often, but he’s got a point here.
I'm tired of the 'big & heavy' mantra. That's not why Toronto will fail to win, nor is it why they've failed to win in the past. Gritty, grinding, players are useful, so long as they also bring offensive, defensive, and transitional value to the team, and that is what those six teams have that balances their roster out...not some supposed physical edge. In fact, Toronto is technically a 'heavier' team that Pittsburgh & Boston, and is 11th in the entire NHL in that metric.

Toronto has been more physical in the past...even a few seasons back we featured Martin, Komarov, & Polak, all big hitters, and big bodies like Boyle & Fehr, as well as relatively physical players like Kadri, Zaitsev, & Borgman...none of that helped us win in the playoffs. In fact, the 2018 Maple Leafs were the 4th heaviest team in the NHL...Boston was 22nd.

Yes, St. Louis was a heavy team, and Washington (to a lesser extent) was as well. But Pittsburgh...heck no! They were 29th heaviest in 2017, and 23rd in 2016 when they won their Stanley Cups. Physicality was not a major part of their success...it was speed, speed, speed, and skill, skill, skill, and goaltending that won them those back to back Cups. Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Bonino, Kunitz, Guentzel, Hagelin, Rust, Sheary, Cullen....Hornqvist was really the only 'big & heavy' they had among their forwards, and the defense was not exceptionally big either, featuring Letang, Schultz, Daley, & Dumoulin...only Cole was really a big hitter on that team's defense.

All I'm saying is that playing heavy hockey is a good thing, in the sense you need to be hard on the puck, win battles down low, and play with intensity and effort. Toronto's stars like Marner, Matthews, & Nylander need to improve in that area. But Toronto has guys who do great at that, just like every other team, in their bottom & top six...Mikheyev, Moore, Hyman, Tavares, Kerfoot, Johnsson. Big hits have little correlation to possession, let alone goals, let alone wins. Toronto's bigger concern should be team defense, having better structure, situational awareness, and playing as a cohesive, team unit, not individual parts. Also, they need Freddie to be big in the playoffs, like Binnington, Holtby, & Murray have all been for their teams. That is a much bigger factor than 'heaviness'.

tl;dr
Heaviness is a factor, and not totally unimportant...but it is not the major factor behind why the Leafs haven't won, and these teams have. For example, Pittsburgh has the most Cups of these teams in recent memory, and was by no means a 'heavy' team. What made these teams successful, beyond their skilled offensive cores, was incredible goaltending, attention to detail & defense throughout the lineup, good situational coaching, things the Leafs have not had Also, the Leafs have come up against Washington, Boston, Boston respectively in the playoffs, without home ice advantage, and pushed each series to 6+ games, all very close. One more win against Boston, and they could've been in the Cup finals easily.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Yeah, a young GM trying to make it in the nhl invests 41M dollars in an elite core, and purposely wastes a chunk of his team’s window so he can sabotage his head coach... come on.

Reactions: Menzinger

Mitch Matthews

Sep 13, 2019
This team will continue to fail until such time that management gets rid of Babcock.

To the eye, it's obvious this team lacks any semblence of structure. They have no system. Everyone improvising, running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Not the players fault - this is ENTIRELY on Babcock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad