Equipment: Has anyone tried the Bauer Vapor APX 2 skates?

Captain Serious 19

Apr 8, 2013
Chicago
I can get a deal on a pair of these skates and was wondering if anyone had tried them out. I have heard good things from some reviews around the web, but I would like more input. I have tried them on and they fit very well. How do they perform?

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Honestly one gen to the next, the improvements are minimal. I think we've reach a peak on skating performance when we introduced carbon fibre/composite into skating materials. APX, Totalone, CCM Rbz, rbk 20k vs APX2 performance will be very similar. if you're taking about 10 year old skates vs. current gen, that's different.

#1 thing for skates is fit. you should be comparing the fit and shape of skates. Supreme vs. Vapor vs. Grafs. Second major thing is stiffness low vs. mid vs. high.

Top end skates are pretty much all the same once properly fitted. Big differences could be the blade profiling and getting one that matches your skating style.

Anyways, the new big thing is the Tuuk holder. Change blades on the fly but for most players, i doubt this feature will be any different than changing out old steels. More comfortable and less lace bite with the eyelets. Not sure how much of this is marketing placebo vs. real life performance.

I do admit that they are very sharp looking skates and have nice aggressive styling (best looking skate I've seen). If you find these fit the best and you like how they look, then it's your purchase.

Unfortunately these are super high end prosumer skates before professional grade skates (AHL, NHL customs). small niche market and not too many people have these yet.

If you're spending this much, you should go to a skate shop and see if they let you try the competition out.

Last edited:

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I was able to get them for about half off and I love them. They were the first pair of skates that I actually felt a performance difference. My edge work and ability to accelerate out of turns was definitely improved. And the comfort level was great.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
These are tempting for me...

I personally like the square eyelet system.

Have you ever used a top-end skate before?

Captain Serious 19

Apr 8, 2013
Chicago
No I currently play the Vapor x4.0 skates. I'm 6'3" 185 and people have told me I need a stiffer skate. They felt nice when I tried them on and I love the look of them. Just wanted to know if people thought it was a waste of money since Im not trying to make the NHL or anything.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
you're fairly tall but seem to be lighter for your height class? (correct me if i'm wrong)

How strong of a skater are you? If you're quite a powerful skate with a muscular build, there's no problem with getting a pro-level stiffness. These skates will last long for you (3-4 years) and offer you great performance. $800 CCM RBZ, NXG, APX, 20K

If you feel your ability isn't as strong and on a skinnier build, drop to the mid-stiff level (basically 1-2 models down from the top). The $200 savings can get you a good skating profiling from a good hockey shop which may be more beneficial than a high-tier skate. ($30) The skates will last almost as long as the pro-levels. $500-600

The one major problem with a pro-level skate vs mid-level is that they may be TOO stiff for an average skater.

The incremental differences between mid-stiff, stiff, extra-stiff is usually not worth the money. the best deals are older high-end skates during a change-over year.

i.e. CCM CL, APX 1

you can also get skates properly fitted in a store to your feet rather than buying a used/prostock pair molded to someone else's feet.

Most people will know when they have "outgrown" their skates. i.e. feels like they can make better turns, go faster. A new pair properly fitted will definitely benefit then

Last edited:

Captain Serious 19

Apr 8, 2013
Chicago
Ya I have only been skating since April but I skate/play 5 times a week. I am in powerskating classes and the coach even told me I needed a stiffer boot. . Are the 2011 APX skates pretty good? I know I sound immature but the Hawks players just won the cup in APX 2 skates so I obviously want them. I know they have custom skates that are not like the ones sold in stores, but the new tongue on the APX 2 and lace design seems worth it.

soldier0829

May 29, 2013
New York
I've been skating on mine for about 5 weeks now and I absolutely love them. I made a huge jump from my previous pair (tacks) but I can honsetly say it was worth the spend. The boot is stiff, light and molds perfectly to your foot after one or two bakes (I baked mine, skated them for 4 sessions, then baked again and that seemed to do the trick).

I would try them on in the store and spend some time with them on your feet to make sure the fit is right for you.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Ya I have only been skating since April but I skate/play 5 times a week. I am in powerskating classes and the coach even told me I needed a stiffer boot. . Are the 2011 APX skates pretty good? I know I sound immature but the Hawks players just won the cup in APX 2 skates so I obviously want them. I know they have custom skates that are not like the ones sold in stores, but the new tongue on the APX 2 and lace design seems worth it.

As mentioned earlier, skates are only as good as how well they fit your feet. Properly fitted $200 skates will be better than $600 improperly fitted skates. Improper skates will have pressures points on your feet and fatigue your feet as you play your game.

Comparing model A vs model B performance is useless. You compare skate shape. Each skate line is tailored to different types of feet. Vapors are narrow, Supremes are wide. Custom skates worn by the pro are truly non-retail skates. They pick a certain appearance (i.e. APX2 design) and they can get every single aspect of the skate customized. They can be wearing supremes made to look like APX2 skates.

Unless you're going fully custom, you should be looking for FIT. Look for mid-stiff to stiff boots. I really recommend getting the CCM CL or APX because they are on sale. Then you have extra money to get superfeet/profiling as upgrades to your skate.

I don't know how else to explain this but you fit the skates to the skater and not the other way around.

Virtually ALL high-end skates perform the same. There are subtle differences but when you notice them, you won't be asking on a forum for advice on buying skates. you'll go to a skate test. Obviously these are your skates so you can buy whatever you like best..

Last edited:

nittanypucker

Dec 11, 2011
Great White North
I got these skates recently at a really great price so I pulled the trigger. My last skates were the first generation APX and the fit is slightly difference. The shape of the toebox is a little different and I love the eyelits because it really helped lock my laces in place. The biggest difference for me was the tongue. The tongue thickness and length have been increased over the old APX, which was my only real gripe because blocking shots could be kind of rough with APX. I am a more muscular, stronger skater and I've been skating since I was two; I prefer a stiffer boot so the Vapor line has worked well for me. Even so, I bake my skates so the break-in process isn't agonizing.

As said above a few times, fit is most important because some people's feet fit better with Nexus vs. APX. My suggestion would be to try them on first and then if you aren't willing to spend $800+,you can always hunt around on ebay for someone who impulse buys. However, be warned that you will be buying used and who knows what they've done to the skates, e.g. lied about not baking, or the condition of the skates. Good luck!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad