Has anyone seen the US or Finish preliminary rosters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Regarding the prelim. US list and why we have not seen it. Of course, a lot of the guys are pretty obvious and leaks are coming out from local beat reporters about who is on the list, but here is the AJC update on the USA official list:

"Unlike Canada, which last week published its "long list" of 81 players who were provided to the International Ice Hockey Federation and the International Olympic Committee as candidates for its 2006 team, Thrashers general manager Don Waddell, who is serving as the U.S. team's general manager, elected not to make his public. For one, the U.S. has a lot fewer players to chose from. At its Olympic orientation camp last month, USA Hockey brought in fewer than half the number (39) that are on Canada's list. Waddell cited some public criticism that Wayne Gretzky, Hockey Canada's general manager for the Turin Games, received in not naming Anaheim goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere. "I don't see any benefit of it," Waddell said. "You see what Gretzky's dealing with [regarding] Giguere. To me, there's not a reason to disclose." Waddell was not in attendance Tuesday to see the favorite to play goalie for the U.S.: the Islanders' Rick DiPietro. However, Waddell's assistant, Paul Holmgren of the Philadelphia Flyers, was."

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/thrashers/1005/26thrashersnot.html

It will be interesting to see if the list does stay unpublished since the IIHF website has some of the other lists posted.

from Raleigh paper:

"Laviolette, who will coach the United States in February, confirmed that Erik Cole is on the U.S. list, to no one's surprise."

From the Boston Herald:

"The United States has a list of about 75 players to watch. Hal Gill is on the list with Shawn McEachern and Brian Leetch. Ian Moran, who was one of the final two cuts from the 1994 Lillehammer squad, is not on this list. ''I must have been No. 76,'' Moran said."

and that Moran quote is classic Moran - I always enjoy when they mic him during a game.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
It shouldn't be too hard to make up a list for the U.S. Here's mine:

Forwards (x40):

Modano, Guerin, Conroy, Brown, Roenick, Kesler, Higgins, Weight, Tkachuk, Cullen, Cole, Adams, McEachern, Gomez, Parise, Langenbrunner, Gionta, Parrish, York, Blake, Halpern, Legwand, Hall, Arnason, Smolinski, Malone, LeClair, Konowalchuk, Rolston, Amonte, Park, Marchant, Fritsche, Knuble, Drury, Connolly, Grier, Dimitrakos, Reasoner, Holik

Defense (x30):

Mara, Tanabe, Ballard, Miller, Gleason, Corvo, Carney, Weinrich, Roach, Chelios, Schneider, Suter, Eaton, Leetch, Gill, Komisarek, Hedican, Hill, Poti, Orpik, Klee, Leopold, Martin, Rafalski, Pothier, Liles, Preissing, Fahey, Hatcher, Berard.

Goaltenders (x10):

Miller, DiPietro, Snow, Conklin, Esche, Grahame, Boucher, Johnson, Dunham, Adam Berkhoel.

I understand this isn't a great looking list, especially when compared to the likes of Canada, but a competitive team can and will be assembled.

Last edited:

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Rabid Ranger said:
Forwards (x40):

Modano, Guerin, Conroy, Brown, Roenick, Kesler, Higgins, Weight, Tkachuk, Cullen, Cole, Adams, McEachern, Gomez, Parise, Langenbrunner, Gionta, Parrish, York, Blake, Halpern, Legwand, Hall, Arnason, Smolinski, Malone, LeClair, Konowalchuk, Rolston, Amonte, Park, Marchant, Fritsche, Knuble, Drury, Connolly, Grier, Dimitrakos, Reasoner, Holik

I know they can name whomever they want, but do you thnk that he would play for the US? Would he want that? He never represented the US before, right? He ever said anything about his desire to play for the US?

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Holik lobbied to play for the 2004 US World Cup team but was not selected by GM Larry Pleau. He was actually pretty ticked off about it and complained about the politics involved in USA Hockey.

The problem here is I don't think Holik will be eligible to play for the USA in Turin. My understanding is, according to IIHF rules, a hockey player is only allowed to represent one country and Holik has already played for the Czech Rep. The World Cup wasn't an IIHF sanctioned event, but organized by the NHL. I believe this is the reason.

Anway, as for the USA roster - I can't picture Keith Tkachuk being named to this roster. By showing up to camp fat and then suffering an injury "unrelated" to his obesity, he can't being winning over Don Waddell. IMO, only Weight, Modano, Guerin, and Leetch will be be representing the US from the older generation of players. And maybe Aaron Miller.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
It shouldn't be too hard to make up a list for the U.S. Here's mine:

Forwards (x40):

Defense (x30):

Mara, Tanabe, Ballard, Miller, Gleason, Corvo, Carney, Weinrich, Roach, Chelios, Schneider, Suter, Eaton, Leetch, Gill, Komisarek, Hedican, Hill, Poti, Orpik, Klee, Leopold, Martin, Rafalski, Pothier, Liles, Preissing, Fahey, Hatcher, Fitzpatrick.

Goaltenders (x10):

Miller, DiPietro, Snow, Conklin, Esche, Grahame, Boucher, Johnson, Dunham, Adam Berkhoel.

I understand this isn't a great looking list, especially when compared to the likes of Canada, but a competitive team can and will be assembled.

yup, there aren't too many choices once you make a list that long. I imgaine your list is a little lengthier than the list the US submitted since the AJC said about 75, probably 1 or 2 goalies and forwards a piece left off the list.

I believe Bryan Berard is the only player that was invited to the Sept. orientation camp not on your list.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
CDeeps said:
Holik lobbied to play for the 2004 US World Cup team but was not selected by GM Larry Pleau. He was actually pretty ticked off about it and complained about the politics involved in USA Hockey.

The problem here is I don't think Holik will be eligible to play for the USA in Turin. My understanding is, according to IIHF rules, a hockey player is only allowed to represent one country and Holik has already played for the Czech Rep. The World Cup wasn't an IIHF sanctioned event, but organized by the NHL. I believe this is the reason.

But Nabokov played for Kazakhstan in the IIHF WJC and is now eligible for team Russia. Ahhh, those are details which I'm not familiar with. I'll try to find it somewhere in the IIHF rulebook...

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
CDeeps said:

Anway, as for the USA roster - I can't picture Keith Tkachuk being named to this roster. By showing up to camp fat and then suffering an injury "unrelated" to his obesity, he can't being winning over Don Waddell. IMO, only Weight, Modano, Guerin, and Leetch will be be representing the US from the older generation of players. And maybe Aaron Miller.

I recall some articles suggesting Holik should be picked as an injury replacement. I did not recall him lobbying so specifically on his own behalf. Not questioning the facts, but if you find an article/link, I would not mind reading it. And you are correct that Holik can not represent the US at the Olympics.

I also agree that this US Olympic team will continue the "changing of the guard." However, if Tkachuk returns from his current injury and plays very well, I can see him being named. He was one of the few vets they invited to the orientation camp.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
TORRUS said:
But Nabokov played for Kazakhstan in the IIHF WJC and is now eligible for team Russia. Ahhh, those are details which I'm not familiar with. I'll try to find it somewhere in the IIHF rulebook...

He was ruled ineligible in 2002. He appealed again for 2006 and was ruled eligible for 2006 sometime in 2004.

Here is a link to more details about the decision.

http://www.tsn.ca/tools/print_story.asp?id=89656

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
sk84fun_dc said:
yup, there aren't too many choices once you make a list that long. I imgaine your list is a little lengthier than the list the US submitted since the AJC said about 75, probably 1 or 2 goalies and forwards a piece left off the list.

I believe Bryan Berard is the only player that was invited to the Sept. orientation camp not on your list.

and chris higgins also

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
roshiajin said:
Holik is Canadian, isn't he?

Bobby Holik is a czech I think.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=215&hubname=nhl-thrashers

And yes he is.

And regarding Waddells call on not making it public, its actually kinda a good idea, with naming that many players, if you leave someone off, someone is pissed, and if you name someone and they don't end up making it, they could get pissed as well. I can understand the reasoning.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If I had to pick the U.S. team based purely on what I've seen so far in the young NHL season I would go with the following:

Forwards (x12):

Modano, Guerin, Weight, Gomez, Brown, Gionta, Cole, Parrish, Malone, Cullen, Conroy, Blake.

Defense (x8):

Leetch, Schneider, Liles, Leopold, Miller, Mara, Tanabe, Rafalski.

Goaltenders (x3):

DiPietro, Grahame, Miller.

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
subtract one more D to get to 8...

I am too tired to process the possible 23 man roster tonight to even suggest which D would not be on the list, but Martin did not have a very good game tonight so at the moment, his name stands out. I recognize 1 game does not make or break a guy's possible contribution to the games, just a comment.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Here is a piece about Bobby Holik wanting to play for Team USA in the 2004 World Cup of Hockey.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Thanks, I knew several writers lobbied for Holik while the team was being named last year. I recall at least 2 pieces, if not more. I agree with them that Holik knows more about the US and American history than most people born here and he does take a lot of pride in his citizenship. I did not recall seeing anything that quoted Holik at the time, just others lobbying for him to be picked. The piece you linked indicates that the Vancouver article quotes Holik (although it sounds like from after the team was picked) so I might try to track that down.

I understand USA Hockey's philosophy about this, but it would have been interesting to see Holik in a USA uniform.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Based on what I've read, it seems like John Grahame isn't even on the preliminary list, since he wasn't invited to the camp in the summer, and I hope he makes USA Hockey very sorry for the oversight. :)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sotnos said:
Based on what I've read, it seems like John Grahame isn't even on the preliminary list, since he wasn't invited to the camp in the summer, and I hope he makes USA Hockey very sorry for the oversight. :)

Where did you read that?

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
The article on TSN and elsewhere states that the only change from the camp invitees is they added some veterans (Chelios, etc). Grahame wasn't invited to camp, and he's not one of the usual suspects, therefore it sounds to me like he's not on the list.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sotnos said:
The article on TSN and elsewhere states that the only change from the camp invitees is they added some veterans (Chelios, etc). Grahame wasn't invited to camp, and he's not one of the usual suspects, therefore it sounds to me like he's not on the list.

That might be, although I think Waddell was being purposefully vague. If the U.S. list has between 60-70 names on it (which I think it does), you can bet Grahame's name is on the list, especially since there aren't that many solid American goaltenders in the league right now.

espo*

i can't remember if it was the TSN guys or someone on HNIC last week that was plugging Keith Ballard and Ryan Miller for a spot on the U.S squad last week.They/he,were saying based on his play so far this year Miller should be named and that Ballard should get serious consideration as he's the real deal.Food for thought.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Rabid Ranger said:
That might be, although I think Waddell was being purposefully vague. If the U.S. list has between 60-70 names on it (which I think it does), you can bet Grahame's name is on the list, especially since there aren't that many solid American goaltenders in the league right now.
That's not what I got from their comments at all. To me "Our list was all the guys that came to our camp plus we added a few veteran guys. We added guys like (Chris) Chelios, (Mathieu) Schneider, (Jeremy) Roenick, those types of veterans" is fairly specific. Doesn't sound to me that they put 60+ names on there.

Of course, this is all just speculation. They should just release the damn list, IMO! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad