Has anyone heard what’s up with Toews?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Agreed.

Lyme disease has become the catch all for mysterious illnesses. It's hard to definitely prove so it seems to be a diagnoses made by "we don't know what else it is?"

Whatever it is, I hope they figure it out and he's on the road to recovery.

Actually the new catch all has been Dysautonomia (which I had post elective surgery for a few months - a couple of years ago) which one of the symptoms is extreme fatigue that occurs randomly. It's triggered by various autoimmune issues - Ehlers-Danlos (often by those are are overly flexible or double-jointed), MAST cell, Lyme, Lupus, RA, Guillain-Barre, Graves, Hashimoto's, Celiac's etc. There's no treatment either.. it's just reducing the body's inflammation to prevent symptoms from reoccurring. I'm still on a drug to lower my inflammation a couple years out...

Folks think "Long-COVID" is basically Dysautonomia because COVID is an autoimmune-like virus.

Last edited:

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Have you seen always sunny in Philadelphia?

glenn howerton (Dennis) became vegan like halfway or 2/3 through the show... people who didn’t know about veganism thought he’d developed some illness or an addiction because of how his face looked different than before. More lean

People can give super lean (which is part of why some people do it)

Also looked up some pictures of Toews on the ice, he basically already had a thin face, those cheekbones sitting over/beyond his cheeks

He could be really sick regardless, but he might not have lost that much weight (and if he did could be for other reasons, not being active because he’s tired) and I agree with the above poster that the lighting is to a degree responsible for the paleness. Plus if he’s not being active + covid being around, it could be as simple that he’s not gone outside and tanned as much as he normally might for about a year now
I have seen a few episodes. I was actually just making a joke about the meme about the outspoken vegan.

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
Have you seen always sunny in Philadelphia?

glenn howerton (Dennis) became vegan like halfway or 2/3 through the show... people who didn’t know about veganism thought he’d developed some illness or an addiction because of how his face looked different than before. More lean

People can give super lean (which is part of why some people do it)

Also looked up some pictures of Toews on the ice, he basically already had a thin face, those cheekbones sitting over/beyond his cheeks

He could be really sick regardless, but he might not have lost that much weight (and if he did could be for other reasons, not being active because he’s tired) and I agree with the above poster that the lighting is to a degree responsible for the paleness. Plus if he’s not being active + covid being around, it could be as simple that he’s not gone outside and tanned as much as he normally might for about a year now

I thought you were just going to bring up Cricket's first episode when Dee told Dennis his face looked fat so he stopped eating and looked dead.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
13 replies and still not a single mention of Toews being a vegan?
He is not a Vegan as far as any evidence goes, I am not sure why people say this unless they have some inside info, regardless there are some Vegan athletes and it sounds like they have the opposite effect and have more energy according to them.

But reading up on Toews it sounds like has had "fatigue" and other issues going back to when he was a kid so who knows.

Reactions: vshun

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He’s been great this season.

upload_2021-3-13_11-21-45.gif

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I thought you were just going to bring up Cricket's first episode when Dee told Dennis his face looked fat so he stopped eating and looked dead.
Funny enough when fans on Reddit started threads asking about his health, they each got tons of replies with like 20 Dennis quotes explaining it haha

“I’m going for that ‘Jesus on the cross look’”

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that’s literally why he became vegan to get lean for , all the actors have commit sooo much to the evolution of those characters personality and physically (Mac gaining 50 pounds in real life, on purpose, just cuz he thought it would be funny; then seasons later getting super ripped again to write it into the show lol)

Reactions: NeverBeNormal

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Again, I don’t want to speculate but how gaunt, pale, and thin he looks is mildly worrisome for the guy. He kind of had that heroin chic look to him like models from the 90s.

I’ve heard lots of rumours linking it to Lyme disease, which with his symptoms that would make sense. But again, that’s speculation and absolutely nothing verifying that. Frankly, he deserves his rights to privacy as well while he deals with whatever it is.

Hoping for nothing but the best for him. Guys is a gamer and extremely competitive, whatever he’s going through is obviously very serious and real life health concerns are more important than hockey.

I remember when fans noticed the same thing about Chadwick Bozeman and folks tried to poo poo that down

JimmyH

May 19, 2018
@MarkusNaslund19 His face-off percentage; his filth; his toughness; his goal-mouth strength; his poise... I really hope he has another run at a Cup later in his life (not that his reputation would lack any luster absent a comeback).

For me personally, he was always the man in Chicago even with Kane, Hossa, Byfuglien, Saad, Keith, etc...

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
@MarkusNaslund19 His face-off percentage; his filth; his toughness; his goal-mouth strength; his poise... I really hope he has another run at a Cup later in his life (not that his reputation would lack any luster absent a comeback).

For me personally, he was always the man in Chicago even with Kane, Hossa, Byfuglien, Saad, Keith, etc...
This board has a stupid meme about him being overrated due to 'lel muh intanjibles', but the guy is (and especially was) a truly brilliant player who absolutely answered the bell every time the stakes were raised. A deserving first ballot hall of famer. But, like you, I sure hope that there are several chapters yet to be written in his career.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
So let me get this straight. Toews publicly voices his displeasure with managements direction for rebuild and not 2-3 months later he has a “mysterious” illness for which there has been absolutely no diagnosis for, just some random jargon from toews himself how he’s lethargic and lacks energy. Give me a god damn break. It sounds more like a sulking overpaid past his prime player who is being defiant. He even explicitly says he doesn’t want to be part of a rebuild. Add it up folks. It’s not hard to connect the dots.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
So let me get this straight. Toews publicly voices his displeasure with managements direction for rebuild and not 2-3 months later he has a “mysterious” illness for which there has been absolutely no diagnosis for, just some random jargon from toews himself how he’s lethargic and lacks energy. Give me a god damn break. It sounds more like a sulking overpaid past his prime player who is being defiant. He even explicitly says he doesn’t want to be part of a rebuild. Add it up folks. It’s not hard to connect the dots.

He's sad and making 10 million a year just isn't good enough.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

I hope for the sake of Toews health that it doesn't, but this could be one of those messageboard posts that just ages horrifically bad.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
People need to relax with the vegan comments lol. If someone wants to eat a vegan diet it's hardly as big of a deal as people make it out to be. Vegans aren't out there eating pieces of lettuce for dinner here. With that said, I wish all the best to Toews and whatever is going on with him. Definitely miss him this season.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I hope for the sake of Toews health that it doesn't, but this could be one of those messageboard posts that just ages horrifically bad.
It aged badly as soon as it was posted. This thread was resurrected for some really stupid takes.

If I had to speculate wildly about what's going on with Toews, my first guess would be post concussion symptoms given his history.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
If his salary is getting paid by insurance, then somebody somewhere must have some kind of handle on what's going on. :dunno:
If only the insurer and its employees had a fiduciary duty to the general public to say what was going on instead of to the policyholder and its designated agents to keep that information confidential. Well, maybe one day someone will break confidentiality and spill the beans. What's the worst that could happen to them?

Reactions: vpasla1 and TKB

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
If only the insurer and its employees had a fiduciary duty to the general public to say what was going on instead of to the policyholder and its designated agents to keep that information confidential. Well, maybe one day someone will break confidentiality and spill the beans. What's the worst that could happen to them?

I think the message was meant by: if Toews is holding up to the team because he disagree with the direction it would be hard to have that paid by an insurer, than wishing an employee would leak the info to a sport journalist or online.

Nov 20, 2013
Sweden
I hope he comes back and is successful in the NHL and... whatever it is I hope he can be a spokesperson for that cause eventually so other people in a similar predicament can have something to relate to and gain strength from. Also to have their surroundings have something to gain understanding through if it is something abstract or easily misunderstood.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I think the message was meant by: if Toews is holding up to the team because he disagree with the direction it would be hard to have that paid by an insurer, than wishing an employee would leak the info to a sport journalist or online.
I feel like I'm going to have to start a thread to explain this.

The fact that a player is injured does not mean his paychecks are being paid by insurance. It might be the case that Toews is covered by insurance and at this point, insurance is paying. It might not apply at all. It might apply, but only for part of his salary. It might apply if he missed games or whatever reason, or if he's missing games for only specified reasons. I don't know, and largely don't care other than being able to note it for future reference. I can definitely say that if Toews is insured for this season, coverage didn't kick in starting on Game 1; it started after 20-30 games or more.

If the team says Toews is hurt and he's covered by insurance and payment may be available, the team has to submit proof to the insurer to get payment. It isn't "hey, we say he's hurt" and the insurer says "oh, you say he's hurt? Well, good enough for us, here's your check." The insurer can probe that as much as it needs, including asking the player to go get another physical to confirm the existence of the injury, before accepting the claim for potential payment.

If Toews was "holding up to the team because he disagree with the direction" the team always has the ability to suspend him for failure to perform under his contract. That would be a perfectly permissible way to deal with it; they don't pay him anything, insurance is irrelevant
and Toews either pouts at home for nothing or comes back and plays and collects his paycheck.

Finally: to think that any employee would leak that information to the press is ... well, the NHL has longstanding relationships with various companies, and they all understand privacy is an utmost concern. NO ONE is jeopardizing that business relationship by leaking information of any type just to disprove some alleged story in the press.

Reactions: Fedz

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
People need to relax with the vegan comments lol. If someone wants to eat a vegan diet it's hardly as big of a deal as people make it out to be. Vegans aren't out there eating pieces of lettuce for dinner here.

Especially someone with as much money as Toews, he can afford the best of the best vegan food as far as both taste and nutrition goes.

Reactions: shello

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad