Has anyone heard anything about the Euro-rights issue?

• Thread starter A Good Flying Bird*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Good Flying Bird*

For the last few years, we've read that the NHL plans to address the issue of Euro-draft pick rights.
Many feel that North Americans are getting jobbed in the draft because of it.

After all, all things being equal, why use a late pick on a North American who must be signed within two years if you can keep the rights of a European guy forever.

Has anyone heard if this issue will is being addressed in the new CBA?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
It's an absurd rule that is a byproduct of the NHL needlessly sucking up to the CHL in the same way the NBA and NFL do to the NCAA. I've long been of the opinion that there need to be uniform draft rules for all players regardless of what league they are drafted from.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Epsilon said:
It's an absurd rule that is a byproduct of the NHL needlessly sucking up to the CHL in the same way the NBA and NFL do to the NCAA. I've long been of the opinion that there need to be uniform draft rules for all players regardless of what league they are drafted from.
Problem is,it won't work!
Many euro's can't jump to the NHL until they serve their countrys dutys (military) even if they wanted too.
I see nothing wrong with keeping rights of players until they can and want to try out the NHL,it's not like the teams are holding them back.

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
Why don't they just make Euro players "non-eligible" for the draft until
they are free from any obligations, such as military service, that would keep
them from playing for the nhl?

There may be a good reason - I'm just wondering.

A Good Flying Bird*

DETROIT SKABOY said:
besides if they really are a nhl type player they will be playing within a year or so anyway

Well, it doesn't take a genious to imagine a situation where there could be problems.

Maybe there should be a three year rule.
If after three years in the CHL, College or Europe the player is not signed, he becomes a UFA

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Newsguyone said:
For the last few years, we've read that the NHL plans to address the issue of Euro-draft pick rights.
Many feel that North Americans are getting jobbed in the draft because of it.

After all, all things being equal, why use a late pick on a North American who must be signed within two years if you can keep the rights of a European guy forever.

Has anyone heard if this issue will is being addressed in the new CBA?

Why are the NAs getting jobbed? Its the Euros that are getting jobbed. The NAs can become FAs is they keep getting passed on. If they are good enough they will make more as FAs than 7th-9th rounders.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Newsguyone said:
Well, it doesn't take a genious to imagine a situation where there could be problems.

Maybe there should be a three year rule.
If after three years in the CHL, College or Europe the player is not signed, he becomes a UFA

Or reenter the draft.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
me2 said:
Why are the NAs getting jobbed? Its the Euros that are getting jobbed. The NAs can become FAs is they keep getting passed on. If they are good enough they will make more as FAs than 7th-9th rounders.

The biggest advantage that a Euro player has is the possibility of playing in the AHL as a teen. Guys like Andrei Kostitsyn, as an example, have an edge because they can come to North America and start playing pro in the AHL right away. There have been countless examples of guys who dominated junior and would have otherwise been ready for the A but were ineligible because of the CHL rules. Similarly, there have been too many examples of 18 and 19-year-old North Americans force-fed into the NHL too early, mainly because they were too good for the CHL but not ready for the NHL.

It's a stupid rule, IMHO. It protects junior hockey teams, which is fine, but that should never come before protecting junior-aged players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad