Has anyone had a goalie skater conversion

chrispw1

Dec 5, 2015
I am wondering has there ever been a player in hockey like Babe Ruth, Rick Ankiel or Trevor Hoffman who either in the NHL or in the minors converted from goalie to skater or vice versa.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Jose Theodore was a skater in minor hockey. I don't remember at which age he switched to goaltending.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Wow the title seems to imply that being a goalie is a bad thing and they can only be saved by conversion.

Seriously though baseball is a bad comparison to hockey mainly because players can and did play as a pitcher and as a position player virtually their entire youth baseball so there really wasn't a " conversion" per say.

Just a refocus from one position to another.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Tyrone Garner's story is one of my favorites - you may remember him for his three game stint in nets for the Flames in January 1999. From my site:
  • While playing in Norway during the 2005-06 season, Garner suffered a horrible groin injury which ripped the muscles from the bone. Doctors told him that under no circumstances could Garner play as a goaltender for at least one year, so Garner battled back, and skated two seasons as a forward with the SPHL's Jacksonville Barracudas (2006-07 and 2007-08, totalling 24 goals and 49 points in 88 games). He continued his forward career in the OHA Senior League.
Source: Tyrone Garner

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
If I remember correctly, Patrik Laine was a goalie until he was a teenager

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think a few players started out as goalies when they were young. I don't think there's ever been a case of a guy starting out as a goalie then becoming a forward/defenseman.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Lester Patrick at 44 made an emergency comeback for the rangers as a goalie

And won the game

Patrick is famous for an incident which occurred on April 7, 1928, during Game 2 of the 1928 Stanley Cup Finals against the Montreal Maroons, while serving as coach and general manager of the Rangers. After starting goaltender Lorne Chabot suffered an eye injury after being hit by the puck in the middle of the second period, Patrick inserted himself into the game as the Rangers' new netminder, offering his now-teammates the words "Boys, don't let an old man down." At the age of 44 years, 99 days, Patrick remains today the oldest man to have played in the Stanley Cup Finals. At the time it was not common for teams to have a backup goaltender, and the opposing team's coach had to allow a substitute goaltender. However, Maroons manager-coach Eddie Gerard refused to give permission for the Rangers to use Alec Connell, the Ottawa Senators' star netminder who was in the stands, as well as minor-leaguer Hugh McCormick. Odie Cleghorn, the then-coach of the Pittsburgh Pirates, stood in for Patrick as coach for the remainder of the game, and directed the Rangers to check fiercely at mid-ice which limited the Maroon players to long harmless shots. Patrick saved 18 to 19 shots while allowing one goal in helping the Rangers to an overtime victory.[7] For the next three games, the league gave permission for the Rangers to use Joe Miller from the New York Americans in goal. The Rangers went on to win the Stanley Cup.[8][1]
Patrick also guided the Rangers to another championship in 1933.[9]

Last edited:
Reactions: rfournier103

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
I'm guessing Ron Hextall played non-goalie positions at times during his youth, due to the fact he was a good stickhandler and his father, uncle, and grandfather were all forwards who played in the NHL.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Wow the title seems to imply that being a goalie is a bad thing and they can only be saved by conversion.

Seriously though baseball is a bad comparison to hockey mainly because players can and did play as a pitcher and as a position player virtually their entire youth baseball so there really wasn't a " conversion" per say.

Just a refocus from one position to another.

Probably the biggest difference between baseball and hockey as it relates to pitchers converting to becoming position players (or vice-versa) is that in non-designated hitter leagues, pitchers still hit during games like other position players.

It should be noted that many top teenage baseball players are pitchers; in many cases those players are the top or among the top hitters on their teams.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Martin Brodeur was a forward until the age of 7. Playing forward could partially explain his great puck handling ability.

But when Martin was small, he played as a forward, but at one tournament he was asked to be the team's backup goalie. "The next season," Martin explained, "my coach came up to me and said, 'Do you want to be a goalie or forward this year?' It was the biggest decision of my life, and I was seven years old. I don't know why I decided, but I thought it would be fun to play goal."

Martin Brodeur - Facts about...

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
As for a brief conversion ability, Dominik Hasek was a flashy sled hockey checking D until he sent guys on breakaways flying. Then, back to the goal, minding the net.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Gerry Cheevers played a few games at forward in junior.

Gilles Gilbert I believe played as a skater for a JR B team while tending net for the Jr A Knights. Can't find anything on this, perhaps Stan F has struck again?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad