Has anyone else noticed that this is bringing out the "weird" in some people?

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I think I might have posted this story before over in the Bruins section but I'll repeat it here. About 2 weeks into the COVID crisis I was at a local supermarket picking up a few things. I was amazed as just about everybody else in the store was pushing around shopping carts filled to the brim with supplies like they were expecting to be holed up for the next few months. I was in the frozen food section when 2 stockboys walked by me carrying large boxes. There was no lettering on these boxes but the way they were carrying them I knew the contents were pretty light. They dumped the boxes in-between a couple of aisles and one of them opened up his box and pulled out its contents. It was the cheapest looking toilet paper I had ever seen and it looked like your butt would bleed using the damn stuff. But this was right when toilet paper, tissue paper and paper towels were like gold. Everybody nearby stampeded towards the boxes grabbing as many as they could carry. One of the stockboys yelled out that it was a limit of 2 per person and this middle aged man ( with 2 young kids in tow ) yelled back " F**k you - there's no sign " and put about 6 packs into his overflowing cart. And that wasn't even the worst thing I saw - to everybody's amazement 2 old ladies started fighting over one of the last packages. One was swinging a cane and the other one was swinging her purse. Finally one of them stumbled and had to grab onto her shopping cart to keep from falling over and the other lady then calmly walked over and grabbed the last pack. Both ladies then walked away like nothing out of the ordinary had just happened. At this point I figured it was time to pay for the stuff I had in my basket and get the hell out of Dodge before somebody pulled a gun fighting over the last jar of coffee. :amazed:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Probably the weirdest thing I saw is that back during the early days of the Corona outbreak - sometime in March - someone was selling his corona-infected blood online "so that you can use it like poison" to infect others with corona or something. I wonder if anyone actually bought any.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Probably the weirdest thing I saw is that back during the early days of the Corona outbreak - sometime in March - someone was selling his corona-infected blood online "so that you can use it like poison" to infect others with corona or something. I wonder if anyone actually bought any.

"Hey there, what's in the package?"

"Some blood I ordered online."

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I think I might have posted this story before over in the Bruins section but I'll repeat it here. About 2 weeks into the COVID crisis I was at a local supermarket picking up a few things. I was amazed as just about everybody else in the store was pushing around shopping carts filled to the brim with supplies like they were expecting to be holed up for the next few months. I was in the frozen food section when 2 stockboys walked by me carrying large boxes. There was no lettering on these boxes but the way they were carrying them I knew the contents were pretty light. They dumped the boxes in-between a couple of aisles and one of them opened up his box and pulled out its contents. It was the cheapest looking toilet paper I had ever seen and it looked like your butt would bleed using the damn stuff. But this was right when toilet paper, tissue paper and paper towels were like gold. Everybody nearby stampeded towards the boxes grabbing as many as they could carry. One of the stockboys yelled out that it was a limit of 2 per person and this middle aged man ( with 2 young kids in tow ) yelled back " F**k you - there's no sign " and put about 6 packs into his overflowing cart. And that wasn't even the worst thing I saw - to everybody's amazement 2 old ladies started fighting over one of the last packages. One was swinging a cane and the other one was swinging her purse. Finally one of them stumbled and had to grab onto her shopping cart to keep from falling over and the other lady then calmly walked over and grabbed the last pack. Both ladies then walked away like nothing out of the ordinary had just happened. At this point I figured it was time to pay for the stuff I had in my basket and get the hell out of Dodge before somebody pulled a gun fighting over the last jar of coffee. :amazed:

Yes, some people have been weird.

I went to my local grocery store. It was around March 14. One lady had 3 cases of water in her cart; and nothing else. That store has carts large enough for an adult to sit in comfortably.

Another lady, who was about 5 feet away and who I believe was her friend, had about 6 large packs of toilet paper. It was enough to fill her entire cart with some sticking up above the top of the basket like an iceberg. They were both well dressed and over 50, they looked like church ladies. I was going upstairs to meet up with my wife and they were headed to the check out lines.

When I told my wife about what I saw, she said "It isn't a waterborne illness!".

The next week, the toilet paper was limited to one pack and they only had 6 packs.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Has anybody ever thought that one byproduct of COVID is that it has helped identify the psychopath/sociopaths amongst us?

eh, not really. If anything it amplifies echo chambers within social groups.

Take social media for example. My cousin is married to a scientist who says it’s not as bad as the media are making it sound. While others who have little education on the matter say it’s the Bubonic Plague.

The Facebook comment threads bring comedic relief at night. Family gatherings since the Fourth of July onwards have been nothing but sane :laugh:

Reactions: Sick Nuzuki

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The moon landing and 9/11 always peak my interest

JFK, Princess Di, and anything Aliens are my guilty pleasures. 9/11 a bit too actually. More of in a harmless follow the string "but what if" inquisitive capacity rather than full ranting raving lunatic.

These COVID/QANON hoaxers are giving conspiracy theorists a bad name. Yet to see anything approaching even the semblance of coming to a logical conclusion. Have some respect for yourselves.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
JFK, Princess Di, and anything Aliens are my guilty pleasures. 9/11 a bit too actually. More of in a harmless follow the string "but what if" inquisitive capacity rather than full ranting raving lunatic.

These COVID/QANON hoaxers are giving conspiracy theorists a bad name. Yet to see anything approaching even the semblance of coming to a logical conclusion. Have some respect for yourselves.
I dabble in JFK and the West Memphis 3 chatter from time to time but know when to take a break .

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
eh, not really. If anything it amplifies echo chambers within social groups.

Take social media for example. My cousin is married to a scientist who says it’s not as bad as the media are making it sound. While others who have little education on the matter say it’s the Bubonic Plague.

The Facebook comment threads bring comedic relief at night. Family gatherings since the Fourth of July onwards have been nothing but sane :laugh:
No idea what you said (your theme), but that is OK.

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I still can’t wrap my head around how humans went to the moon in the 60s and how we haven’t been back despite our amazing advancements in technology.

:laugh: the one sticking point for me to say it didn't happen is they were able to talk from land to moon on 60s technology with barely any delay but I still have dropped calls with friends/family who are 2 or 2.5 hrs away from me

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I still can’t wrap my head around how humans went to the moon in the 60s and how we haven’t been back despite our amazing advancements in technology.

Because it serves no purpose worth the money?

If there was no Cold War going on, not sure we would have seen a moon landing in the 60s.

I don't see a reason to go back before we can build a permanent station there.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Because it serves no purpose worth the money?

If there was no Cold War going on, not sure we would have seen a moon landing in the 60s.

I don't see a reason to go back before we can build a permanent station there.
Yes, it’s too expensive. I still have my doubts:laugh:.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
I think you underestimate the need of the USA to prove they had a bigger dick than the USSR in those times.

That's pretty much exactly what that was... proving that the USA, the country and its system (democracy/capitalism), was superior to the USSR during the Cold War.

Last edited:

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I think you underestimate the need of the USA to prove they had a bigger dick than the USSR in those times.
No I realize it, I think the need to prove it was so big that they were willing to fake it.

Honestly I’m mostly joking. It was so before my time that I really don’t have a clue. I just can’t think of many things that we haven’t been able to do 50 years later (yes even if that is by choice).

That’s too funny. Hopefully 80 year old Buzz didn’t break his hand on that young idiot’s thick skull.
haha what a hero. After watching that I definitely believe Buzz walked on the moon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Luckylarry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->