moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
WHL Follower said:
Setoguchi-Brule-Bradford- played together at Westerns

Bertram_Coglino-Ryder

Agree???

The line was first:

Setouguchi-Brule-Bertram till Bertram got hurt in the first game then they moved Bradford up. The Bertram-Brule-Set. line scored on their first shift of the game with a nice pass from Bertram to Brule, I think they might go with the :

This is how I see the lines playing out (if only Latendresse was there though):

Setouguchi-Brule-Bertram
Bradford-Cogliano-Durand
Drazonovic-Little-Ryder
Saulnier-Merkley-O'Marra

McNeill-Bourdon
Paquet-Staal
Kohn-Wilson

Levasseure-Mior

Imagin if Crosby was there and you now have a:

Setoguchi-Crosby-Bertram
Cogliano-Brule-Latendresse

as your top two lines :mad: damn

Last edited:

X-SHARKIE

La-La-Laprise said:
I wonder how Justin Saulnier did at the try-outs.

Sorry I didn't post this to begin with, but there was a mention of Saulnier.

Basically what Moosefan said. Justin is impressing with his physical play as well as great defensive game. Really just hard hard worker on the ice so far, his skill level is also impressive, as he looks like he has 1st round talent, but what sets him apart is his work ethic on the ice and his agressive style. He has been finishing his checks and really plays a great defensive game, but his offensive skills are also very good.

Man this is just team Canada. The 2005 draft is going to rock.

maxen1

Jul 17, 2004
The only surprise that I had after reviewing the camp roster sheets was the heights of these players... I think the roster sheet that was distributed at the game is pretty accurate in terms of height and weight. A lot of the players are under 6 feet.

Mar 10, 2004
moosefan said:
I hope he makes the team, greatly skilled player, was Atlantics best player at the U17s over Daniel Ryder and Luc Bourdon.
saw Justin Saulnier play last night and really held his own made an unbelievable deek on a defenseman and got a shot away fitting in good with the best hockey players in his age.Ialso see they changed his line he is now with clendenning and setoguchi, If he keeps working hard he could crack the line-up

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
99999 said:
saw Justin Saulnier play last night and really held his own made an unbelievable deek on a defenseman and got a shot away fitting in good with the best hockey players in his age.Ialso see they changed his line he is now with clendenning and setoguchi, If he keeps working hard he could crack the line-up

he is very underrated for the 2005 draft so far, alot of people over look him but he could be a late first to early 2nd round pick. Was Atlantics best player over Daniel Ryder and Luc Bourdon. Was not given a chance at all last year with Halifax as they played him as a fighter on the team and checking line player most of the times. Played for the Dartmouth Subways a year after Sidney Crosby played for them, that line would have been awsome in Dartmouth:

Andrew Gordon (crosbys linemate in Dartmouth, now plays prep school, going NCAA, was a 6th round pick of the Washington Capitals in this years draft)

so it would have looked like Gordon-Crosby-Saulnier damn that would have been nice.

Last edited:

leondias

Aug 1, 2004
Thermopylae
X-SHARKIE said:
Ok everyone, I recieved an email my friend who is attending the tournament. Last night was just a brief phone conversation but here is snippets of what he had to say about the U-18 camp.

Well first, he had trouble recognizing players at first, but he recieved a flyer with the players names and numbers eventually.

Brock Bradford looked good. Scoring two good looking goals, has a bit of Theo Fleury in him. Small, but agressive, has some amazing moves,extremely shifty and quick, with a great release.

Devon Setoguchi has been awesome, has been a bigger force then Gilbert Brule, has created chances on his own. Looks like a top 10 pick.

Gilbert Brule, lined up vs top players every shift, players obviosly want to shut him down and take note when he is on the ice, Has used his amazing slap shot quite a bit.

Daniel Bertram: Insanely fast, just an amazing world class skater with great offensive tools. One of the funnest players to watch work, just an amazing talent.

Riley Merkley: A big smart player, has been surprisingly physical. Looks like a two way powerforward in the making.

Chris Durand: Elite vision, very good hands. Skating needs improvement but his game is surpringly mature and is a great two way player.

Marc Staal has been looking very good, a very good skater, very smart, great in his own zone, looks really good offensively as well.

Ryan O'Marra: Everything is here with this player, Big and physical with good offensive upside. 1st round talent with a big frame and likes to hit.

Daniel Ryder: A stocky and fast forward who looks like he could actually end up being better then his brother, Impressed my friend alot. Ryder has a good looking and very powerfull stride, looks to have great hands and a snipers mindset.

Those were the guys he seemed most impressed with, if anyone has any questions on a specific player i'll ask him or see if he already has some on that player.

Montreal: Nothing on Gragnani..but Ryan Mior has been very very impressive, extremely quick, very agressive, great agility, moves very well, doesn't over exhert him self to make save, extremely agressive on his angles, shows no remource for giving his own teamates slashes to the legs durring drills and scrimages. Gives up some bad rebounds at times. ALways moving, a high tempo goaltender. Played very well.

Another player who was very impressive was J.P. Paquet. He has good size, he looks to be more physical then expected, getting the puck out of his zone with authority and has been a real take control kind of player, a force on the ice. Skates the puck up on his own sometimes and always makes the smart play.

As someone who was at the game last night these must be his overall impressions on kids based on previous viewings because a guy like Durant didn't touch the puck once yesterday and was a complete dissapointment.
Also shocked he didn't mention how easily Bertram was knocked off the puck and tossed around. He needs to get stronger if he wants to be a top pick this year.
Your friend needs to stop scouting based on the hype around kids and base it on what he actually sees.

X-SHARKIE

leondias said:
As someone who was at the game last night these must be his overall impressions on kids based on previous viewings because a guy like Durant didn't touch the puck once yesterday and was a complete dissapointment.
Also shocked he didn't mention how easily Bertram was knocked off the puck and tossed around. He needs to get stronger if he wants to be a top pick this year.
Your friend needs to stop scouting based on the hype around kids and base it on what he actually sees.

He also was around the previous days to see the drills and talk with some of the people there. This just wasn't about the one scrimage. I also didn't take it word for word from him, just his basics thought on the skill these kids bring and showed.
I don't see your beef with his Durand impression because he did say he was disapointed in Durands skating.

Last edited:

leondias

Aug 1, 2004
Thermopylae
X-SHARKIE said:
He also was around the previous days to see the drills and talk with some of the people there. This just wasn't about the one scrimage.

Hard to read how a kid does in traffic by watching drills. What does your friend look like maybe I'll say hi tonight.

X-SHARKIE

leondias said:
Hard to read how a kid does in traffic by watching drills. What does your friend look like maybe I'll say hi tonight.

??? I was saying he based the impressions on the previous days, including drills, and the recent scrimage.... I don't know why you keep reading one sentence of my posts then ignoring the rest because you're missing alot.
If you don't agree with his impressions, than fine.

If you run into a heavier guy tonight with a head full of facial hair ( but a top lackign it lol) Don't tell him I said that haha. Then ask him about it.

leondias

Aug 1, 2004
Thermopylae
X-SHARKIE said:
??? I was saying he based the impressions on the previous days, including drills, and the recent scrimage.... I don't know why you keep reading one sentence of my posts then ignoring the rest because you're missing alot.
If you don't agree with his impressions, than fine.

If you run into a heavier guy tonight with a head full of facial hair ( but a top lackign it lol) Don't tell him I said that haha. Then ask him about it.

so he based it on some skating drills (i also saw them, and what other people had to say as well as the game. Ok what did I not get right. Just want to clarrify

X-SHARKIE

leondias said:
so he based it on some skating drills (i also saw them, and what other people had to say as well as the game. Ok what did I not get right. Just want to clarrify

I just wanted to let you know that he has been there the past few days and he watched the drills along with yesterdays scrimage, he's seen these players before. He has given some impressions on the players threw the days.
If you don't agree with his impressions thats fine, but he isn't just going by hype. He's a big fan of Bertram, hasn't said anythign about him being a softy, but he is a small guy, but he just loves watching him play.
That's all.

keon14

Nov 13, 2002
Visit site
what about some others

what about guys like Chris Lawrence, Clune, Roelefson. The thing about most of the guys being small is that at this age, the smaller guys are usually fully matured and their bodies developed, and a big player like Lawrence is still growing, so in about 2 or 3 years time, a guy like Lawrence who is 6'5 will be fully grown, accustomed to his body and probably a big power forward in the NHL, where as these smaller guys will probably be somewhere like the AHL. I am not knocking the little guys, its just a trend.

leondias

Aug 1, 2004
Thermopylae
keon14 said:
what about guys like Chris Lawrence, Clune, Roelefson. The thing about most of the guys being small is that at this age, the smaller guys are usually fully matured and their bodies developed, and a big player like Lawrence is still growing, so in about 2 or 3 years time, a guy like Lawrence who is 6'5 will be fully grown, accustomed to his body and probably a big power forward in the NHL, where as these smaller guys will probably be somewhere like the AHL. I am not knocking the little guys, its just a trend.

Laweence was out hurt in game two but should play Thursday. Clune looks good. He has shown good playmaking skills and effort. Roelefson is a hard worker who is a pest.

Pedrostallion1

Jun 29, 2004
Might anyone have an opinion on Brett Sutter?

In his limited time with the ICE he has shown a lot of that Sutter work ethic, not afraid to get dirty, seems to be a fairly decent skater and has a not bad set of hands. On this team I could see him on a checking line and to do some banging but he's got some great talent to overtake to earn a spot.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
moosefan said:
I always thought Drazenovic was 1st round material, ever since the U17s he was amazing for BC. Actually he does have great hands though, at the U17s he was deeking his way through high traffic zones and making great smooth one-on-one moves, his stickhandling is great and his playmaking is great along with a good shot.

Drazzy's hands are very good! The guy can dangle with the best of them and can beat anyone one on one. I would say right now his on ice vision and set up abilities are his best attribute. His shot is maybe a little above average and his skating is about the same. He has decent size, although, a little slight right now, but I think he is about 6'1. He is definitely not afraid to get his nose dirty, whether it's in open ice or in the corners. Again, his slight frame/weight is the only thing working against him, but he should fill out. His skating is just fine, nothing that's going to blow anyone away, but how many guys out there do? All in all, a very good prospect and Draz should definitely have a good upcoming year in the WHL.

Eldrick

Apr 23, 2004
Anyone have results/synopsis on last night's(Tuesday) game and any thoughts/opinions on any of the players?

QQQ

Dec 15, 2003
U -18

Someone mentioned surprise at the player's listed sizes. Can someone provide those?

QQQ

Dec 15, 2003
Thanks for the site reference. Are those the heights the players provided or the heights as measured at the camp?

krooky

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Pedrostallion1 said:
Might anyone have an opinion on Brett Sutter?

In his limited time with the ICE he has shown a lot of that Sutter work ethic, not afraid to get dirty, seems to be a fairly decent skater and has a not bad set of hands. On this team I could see him on a checking line and to do some banging but he's got some great talent to overtake to earn a spot.

If his last name wasn't Sutter he would not be there.

X-SHARKIE

leondias said:
Based on what? What part of his game isn't good enough to be at the camp? Sounds like your bitter at the sutter's.

I hear he is an average skater, but his hands and offensive tools are not there. He has the Sutter heart though. I didnt hear anything really bad about him. I just wouldn't expect him to be a first day draft pick in a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad