Has anyone been to the U18 in Calgary??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
2005 prospects like Brule, Bradford, Staal, Levasseur, Price, Bertram, Latendresse, etc. are in action.

Does anyone know how the boys are looking and can someone give reports on the upcoming games and who's looking like they'll make the final cut?

I'm really interested to see how Cogliano, Brule, Bradford and Bertram are faring head to head?

leondias

Aug 1, 2004
Thermopylae
X-SHARKIE said:
Good friend of mine is attending....I'll get back to you guys when I hear from him.

does your friend scout for a team or is he just a fan. This will allow me to know how much stock to put in what he says through you.

W Jets fan

Jun 14, 2004
Pretty well everyone looks good here in Calgary. Going to be a tough team to
pick. Cogliano and Brule on same line and lookin good! Latendresse is not here,
does anyone know why??? Games start Monday night and should be quite intense
as todays practices went on each one was more intense. Will be interesting to
watch the games Mon, Tues and Thurs. Will report who looks good after the games. :handclap:

X-SHARKIE

leondias said:
does your friend scout for a team or is he just a fan. This will allow me to know how much stock to put in what he says through you.

He used to be a scout for the Sudburry Wolves and is now retired. Still talks with the organization though.

All the talk so far seems to be about how great Cogliano looks. I guess his speed is just amazing. His shot and all around offensive skills with the puck are also amazing.

Nothing but good so far on Gilbert Brule as well.

J.P. Levasseur has been head and shoulders above the other goaltenders, except Ryan Mior. Although Mior was hit in the shoulder by a stray puck, bugged him at first but it was shaken off in minutes. But he says it's obvious to see Levasseur is an elite goalie and should be a top 5 pick possibly in next years draft.

Last edited:

db23

HabLover said:
I'm really interested to see how Cogliano, Brule, Bradford and Bertram are faring head to head?
Probably in that order. :)

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Panda Bear said:
Latendresse is not here, does anyone know why???

Well, it appears Francis Pare has replaced Guillaume Latendresse at the U18 camp. Hockey Canada hasn't reported anywhere why Latendresse is not at camp. My first guess is obviously an injury, but hey, maybe he has other problems??

It's unfortunate that Latendresse is not at this camp. He would have been an obvious choice to go overseas and it would've been nice to see how he stacks up against the best his own age.

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
HabLover said:
Well, it appears Francis Pare has replaced Guillaume Latendresse at the U18 camp. Hockey Canada hasn't reported anywhere why Latendresse is not at camp. My first guess is obviously an injury, but hey, maybe he has other problems??

It's unfortunate that Latendresse is not at this camp. He would have been an obvious choice to go overseas and it would've been nice to see how he stacks up against the best his own age.
I believe Latendresse is recovering from a shoulder injury. Not sure if he has had surgery or is waiting for it.

maxen1

Jul 17, 2004
Bradford scored 2 goals in tonights game... played well! Another guy that I thought played well was Little. Game ended in a 2 - 2 tie. I think most of the guys played tight tonight as they are obviously nervous.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
maxen1 said:
Bradford scored 2 goals in tonights game... played well! Another guy that I thought played well was Little. Game ended in a 2 - 2 tie. I think most of the guys played tight tonight as they are obviously nervous.

Nick Drazenovic from the Prince George Cougars had 1 goal for Team Red in tonight's game.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
HabLover said:
Nick Drazenovic from the Prince George Cougars had 1 goal for Team Red in tonight's game.
Hey that guys underrated, Draze should be a first rounder, but he is always overlooked on these threads. But it is a deep draft, I don't see Durand and Setoguchi being all that far ahead of him. But I will admit they probably are.

X-SHARKIE

My friend camp away from the first game very impressed with Nick Drazenovic and Devan Setoguchi.

Saying Drazenovic is being overlooked because he doesn't have elite speed, or hands...but my friend sees this guy as one of the smartest players in the camp, makes smart plays in all situations and really likes him.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
X-SHARKIE said:
My friend camp away from the first game very impressed with Nick Drazenovic and Devan Setoguchi.

Saying Drazenovic is being overlooked because he doesn't have elite speed, or hands...but my friend sees this guy as one of the smartest players in the camp, makes smart plays in all situations and really likes him.

I always thought Drazenovic was 1st round material, ever since the U17s he was amazing for BC. Actually he does have great hands though, at the U17s he was deeking his way through high traffic zones and making great smooth one-on-one moves, his stickhandling is great and his playmaking is great along with a good shot.

X-SHARKIE

moosefan said:
I always thought Drazenovic was 1st round material, ever since the U17s he was amazing for BC. Actually he does have great hands though, at the U17s he was deeking his way through high traffic zones and making great smooth one-on-one moves, his stickhandling is great and his playmaking is great along with a good shot.

I heard about his playmaking skills. Would you consider his hands elite though? I meant he was pretty much good in all aspects and just a very smart player, but he didn't have Cogliano's elite speed or Latendresse's elite hands that would make scouts drool, but he does have good hands I hear, just nothing that makes you giddy. But that was just in one night.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
X-SHARKIE said:
I heard about his playmaking skills. Would you consider his hands elite though? I meant he was pretty much good in all aspects and just a very smart player, but he didn't have Cogliano's elite speed or Latendresse's elite hands that would make scouts drool, but he does have good hands I hear, just nothing that makes you giddy. But that was just in one night.

well I found he picks his spots, he is able to do really neat stuff with the puck and he does have some slick hands, but he doesn't have Latendresses hands you are right nor does he have Coglianos speed your right, I think the only two players who have speed like that are Bertram and Cogliano. You are right Draz does do everything on the ice though, and he is able to make some pretty nice deeks with the puck though.

X-SHARKIE

Ok everyone, I recieved an email my friend who is attending the tournament. Last night was just a brief phone conversation but here is snippets of what he had to say about the U-18 camp.

Well first, he had trouble recognizing players at first, but he recieved a flyer with the players names and numbers eventually.

Brock Bradford looked good. Scoring two good looking goals, has a bit of Theo Fleury in him. Small, but agressive, has some amazing moves,extremely shifty and quick, with a great release.

Devon Setoguchi has been awesome, has been a bigger force then Gilbert Brule, has created chances on his own. Looks like a top 10 pick.

Gilbert Brule, lined up vs top players every shift, players obviosly want to shut him down and take note when he is on the ice, Has used his amazing slap shot quite a bit.

Daniel Bertram: Insanely fast, just an amazing world class skater with great offensive tools. One of the funnest players to watch work, just an amazing talent.

Riley Merkley: A big smart player, has been surprisingly physical. Looks like a two way powerforward in the making.

Chris Durand: Elite vision, very good hands. Skating needs improvement but his game is surpringly mature and is a great two way player.

Marc Staal has been looking very good, a very good skater, very smart, great in his own zone, looks really good offensively as well.

Ryan O'Marra: Everything is here with this player, Big and physical with good offensive upside. 1st round talent with a big frame and likes to hit.

Daniel Ryder: A stocky and fast forward who looks like he could actually end up being better then his brother, Impressed my friend alot. Ryder has a good looking and very powerfull stride, looks to have great hands and a snipers mindset.

Those were the guys he seemed most impressed with, if anyone has any questions on a specific player i'll ask him or see if he already has some on that player.

Montreal: Nothing on Gragnani..but Ryan Mior has been very very impressive, extremely quick, very agressive, great agility, moves very well, doesn't over exhert him self to make save, extremely agressive on his angles, shows no remource for giving his own teamates slashes to the legs durring drills and scrimages. Gives up some bad rebounds at times. ALways moving, a high tempo goaltender. Played very well.

Another player who was very impressive was J.P. Paquet. He has good size, he looks to be more physical then expected, getting the puck out of his zone with authority and has been a real take control kind of player, a force on the ice. Skates the puck up on his own sometimes and always makes the smart play.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
X-SHARKIE said:
Brock Bradford looked good. Scoring two good looking goals, has a bit of Theo Fleury in him. Small, but agressive, has some amazing moves,extremely shifty and quick, with a great release.

Devon Setoguchi has been awesome, has been a bigger force then Gilbert Brule, has created chances on his own. Looks like a top 10 pick.

Gilbert Brule, lined up vs top players every shift, players obviosly want to shut him down and take note when he is on the ice, Has used his amazing slap shot quite a bit.

Daniel Bertram: Insanely fast, just an amazing world class skater with great offensive tools. One of the funnest players to watch work, just an amazing talent.

Riley Merkley: A big smart player, has been surprisingly physical. Looks like a two way powerforward in the making.

Chris Durand: Elite vision, very good hands. Skating needs improvement but his game is surpringly mature and is a great two way player.

Marc Staal has been looking very good, a very good skater, very smart, great in his own zone, looks really good offensively as well.

Ryan O'Marra: Everything is here with this player, Big and physical with good offensive upside. 1st round talent with a big frame and likes to hit.

Daniel Ryder: A stocky and fast forward who looks like he could actually end up being better then his brother, Impressed my friend alot. Ryder has a good looking and very powerfull stride, looks to have great hands and a snipers mindset.

Those were the guys he seemed most impressed with, if anyone has any questions on a specific player i'll ask him or see if he already has some on that player.

Montreal: Nothing on Gragnani..but Ryan Mior has been very very impressive, extremely quick, very agressive, great agility, moves very well, doesn't over exhert him self to make save, extremely agressive on his angles, shows no remource for giving his own teamates slashes to the legs durring drills and scrimages. Gives up some bad rebounds at times. ALways moving, a high tempo goaltender. Played very well.

Another player who was very impressive was J.P. Paquet. He has good size, he looks to be more physical then expected, getting the puck out of his zone with authority and has been a real take control kind of player, a force on the ice. Skates the puck up on his own sometimes and always makes the smart play.

yeah Paquet is pretty physical with a great shot, your scouting on Mior is right on

Bertram IMO is a better talent than Brule and so might Setougchi this year be among Brule class. Mirkley is a guy I really liked as well when I seen him play, he won't wow you with anything, just goes out and does his job and and does everything well, and is a very very good role player.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Over on the PEI Rocket board, there was some reports on Mior, saying he's doing great. Hope he makes the team, he should have a big year for PEI.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Question is where as Teemu Rask fit into this.

I think Between Lavasseur and Mior.

Lavasseur - 6th - 10th overall
Rask - 11th - 15th overall
Mior - 16th - 25th overall

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
La-La-Laprise said:
Question is where as Teemu Rask fit into this.

I think Between Lavasseur and Mior.

Lavasseur - 6th - 10th overall
Rask - 11th - 15th overall
Mior - 16th - 25th overall

I would say those are dead on predictions IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad