Has anybody dislocated their kneecap (patella)

hockeyhockeyhockey

Feb 25, 2006
Has anybody dislocated their kneecap (patella) playing hockey? If yes, how long was your recovery time? Rehab exercises?

I dislocated my patella twice? I should have had my knee brace on after the first time I dislocated it, but now it dislocated again for the 2nd time and it's taking longer to recovery.

Do you wear a brace now? what kind for hockey?

Anybody have any input will help. Thanks

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Basically what happens when you dislocate your knee is that you stretch tendons and muscles, possibly tearing them. If your doctor hasn't set you up with rehab(mine didn't for my first 5 dislocations) then you need to take it in your own hands. Work you legs out and target your inner thigh, your quads and hamstrings(to a lesser extent). This tightens those muscles and helps hold your patella in place. Don't over do it and keep the weight semi-low as to not stress the injury. In my experience if you don't build up these muscles you will suffer from dislocations and hyperextensions at a much higher rate than you have ever before.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Ok, man. Today is your lucky day. I'm recovering from surgery called a Tibial Tubercle Transfer (TTT) on my left knee. Basically it is a surgery done to realign the knee cap by repositioning the patella tendon which attaches to the tibia. I'm 24 and my last knee-disclocation was on May 20th the surgery was done on June 27th. (i've had about 10+ dislocations of my left knee, 5 or so on my right knee).

Take it from me, SEE AN ORTHOPEDIST NOW! Do not wait until you do major damage to your knee! The cartilage behind my patella is all kinds of messed up from my dislocations.

Send me a PM if you want to talk about this more. I"ve researched different kinds of therapies extensively and might be able help more.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Ok, man. Today is your lucky day. I'm recovering from surgery called a Tibial Tubercle Transfer (TTT) on my left knee. Basically it is a surgery done to realign the knee cap by repositioning the patella tendon which attaches to the tibia. I'm 24 and my last knee-disclocation was on May 20th the surgery was done on June 27th. (i've had about 10+ dislocations of my left knee, 5 or so on my right knee).

Take it from me, SEE AN ORTHOPEDIST NOW! Do not wait until you do major damage to your knee! The cartilage behind my patella is all kinds of messed up from my dislocations.

Send me a PM if you want to talk about this more. I"ve researched different kinds of therapies extensively and might be able help more.

oh man, sounds like me. My doctor recommended the surgery for me, but I really don't feel like being either a) in a wheel chair for a few months or b) be on crutches alternating knees for quite a few months.

P.S. I'm at about 20+ on my right and 5+ on my left. They're mostly partial dislocations but plenty of full dislocations. It's gotten to a point that I can partually dislocate my knee, let it pop back in... walk or skate to a bench or chair, wait a few mins for the pain to go down and the muscles to relax then go back to playing. Hurts like hell the next day :cry: I'm 22 now, first dislocation when I was 14. Last full dislocation over a year ago and only 2 maybe 3 hyperextensions or partial dislocations. Hopefully I can avoid surgery *crosses fingers*

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I sent you a PM with a lot of info for you to check out. This surgery has had me on the couch for the past month, but I'm able to walk with crutches since the day of the surgery. Should be using a cane soon. Also, on that message board I post under the name: NotMyKneeAgain

arcticwinter

Apr 16, 2005
i dislocated my kneecap twice playing hockey.both times it went waaay out.the doctor casted it both times.i wear a g2 patellar unit right now but i think it's shot[my knee].it aches all the time and clicks and ticks like crazy.im trying to heal it naturally without surgery but it's 18 months later now and walking downstairs is still not good enough.those major dislocates sure hurt.

arcticwinter

Apr 16, 2005
after the first time,i returned after one year off.i then rehabbed it like crazy and built tree trunk quads to try and stabilize it and i played six seasons skating harder than ever.i did a mike modano full speed down the wing ,cut to the slot,wind up for a slapshot in full stride maneuver and got cranked from the rear backchecking forward as i released the shot and he fell on my knee at the worst possible time and knocked it out.[later i was told i actually scored on that stupid shot off the crossbar].anyway after about an hour of agony[just like the first time]and being knocked out[just like the first time i left with a cast[just like the first time].i then actually played in a tournament three weeks after i got my cast off,and essentially quit hockey.psychologically i dont think i can recover from this and play the way i enjoy playing the game.i think about it the whole time i play.both times it went out[anyone that seen it is still traumatized]i was taking a slapshot.the biggest problem i have hockeywise still lingering is my right leg seems to have forgot how to support me in a full speed tight turn when it's the only skate on the ice[i.e crossovers when its the inside leg].anyway i hope you recover and play better than ever,a good side effect of training your quads to be bulletproof is you end up skating way faster.lol.

hockeyhockeyhockey

Feb 25, 2006
Wow..... Thanks for the details.....

Can I ask you what were your ages when you dislocated your patella? First time? Second time? So you said you went six seasons before it happened again, so that's like six years later?

So what kind of damage did you do to your knee? Did you rip any tendons, liagments? First time? Second time?

I was told my femor bone is shallow where the patella slides up and down, where most people have a deeper groove where their patella sides up and down.

Did you get to play any high level hockey?

Take Care

hockeyhockeyhockey

Feb 25, 2006
How are you handling quiting hockey? OK?? I understand!! Especially when you gave it your best shot with rehab, then it happened again. But you went six seasons before it happened again. Did you wear a brace during those six season? and did you have a brace on when it dislocated the second time? Once again, thanks for all your information and sharing your experience, it is really helping.

I am in the processes of doing rehab right now, sitting out the season.... so far.... I missed all the tryouts. I had two teams very interested in me, but now that I can't skate, I can't go to tryouts.

My goal is to get stronger and pain free by December, because that's the deadline to add players to a roster. My therapist gave me a few guidelines to try before I start skating: like running sideways, 90 degree turns, etc before I skate.

I have too many stories that once you dislocate your patella it will happen again. What have you heard? Look at you... super strong quads for support and it happened again... but 6 years later. Did you have a brace on? It probably wouldn't have helped, because you said the other guy landed on your knee??

How did you know when you could skate after the first time you dislocated your patella?

I wish you luck with your recovery

Thanks again!!!

Jysk

Jul 3, 2004
Skellefteå Sweden
I have done it to. 10 times over the last 7 years have i dislocated my right knee.
The last time was 3 weeks ago when i was working in my fathers garage and bumped my right calf in the carbumper. I was so frustrated over it so i punched my righthand threw teh garage door and cut my hand (smart thing to do, not).

I was forsed to retire after the first dislocation because it was so much damage to the kneekap and other things around it.
I have never been so dipressed in my hole life, it felt like my life was thrown in the garbage, but i had a lot of support from my family so without them it wouldnt have worked.

arcticwinter

Apr 16, 2005
thats alot of questions,so i hope i remember them all.i have only had two dislocates,but both were of the variety that the doctor wants to take a picture of it and the room is crowded with hospital personell and paramedics with a stunned look on there face wanting to watch the procedure.first was late teens and second mid twenties.i healed it naturally both times so i dont know the extent of the damage other than my ligaments are severely stretched and i had some locking.i've played with and against all levels of hockey players ,beginner to junior,college and pro,but i began working at a young age and didnt pursue hockey.i would classify my skating as strong though.i had to quit because of two reasons,one as i say mentally i'm scared to injure it again.[similar to nhl players having one poor year after coming back from a severe injury].iv'e lost confidence in it.secondly ,my employer paid my full wages both times,and three would be pushing it,and i still have years to work and i need both knees.i had a brace on it the second time but it was a mickey mouse one compared to todays versions.i also have that shallow femur bone.i skated very early both times after it happened,just casually and it was fine.just like going for a walk.pushing it early,i dont know.
i would say rehab it very,very,very well.especially the insides of your leg.and see if you can get a custom patellar unit that grips your kneecap very well.you can still rip around the ice with knee braces on[mike gartner had two on and won the nhl's fastest skater].i use a g2 patellar unit but i wish it gripped my kneecap a little better.best of luck.

Last edited:

JiriHrdina

Jul 8, 2005
Just noticed this thread.

I don’t play a lot of ice hockey but do play a lot of ball hockey. I dislocated my right knee the first time on a breakaway deke (hit the post too…lame). Doctors didn’t say much and I dislocated it again about a month later carrying luggage up the stairs. Again, nothing from the doctors about what I should do. After the third time they got me into some rehab and I got a patella stabilizing brace.

That was 3 years ago and since then I’ve dislocated and/or tweaked it a few more times but the brace seems to limit the damage. I’ve tried to strengthen the muscles around the knee and they are definitely stronger but still the dislocations happen and without the brace I wouldn’t be able to play anymore at all.

At one point we talked about surgery but the doctor’s advised against it. It is frustrating as I’m always aware of my bad knee when playing and its taken away from my enjoyment of the game…but better than not playing at all. I’m also about 30% slower now than before probably primarily from lack of confidence in the knee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->