Has any player ever been as wasted as McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nathan MacKinnon has yet to win a playoff round and it looks like the Avs are floundering again this year. Lemieux didn't even play in the playoffs at this point in his career.

Reactions: wetcoast

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Just read: https://www.tsn.ca/the-oilers-are-squandering-mcdavid-s-excellence-1.1255904

Now I'm trying to think of a worse ratio of player ability:team performance over a sustained period of time, but can't really think of anything that comes close to a generational player missing the playoffs in (probably) 3 of 4 years. There's got to be a case of somebody in the pre-cap world though, right?

In a different way (and worst way), Hasek before being almost 30 year's old.

And yes it was common pre-cap era.

Sakic, Yzerman, Lemieux, Marcel Dionne, etc...

It took team 5 full season to have a .500 level team and for Lemieux it took him scoring 199 points to have 40 wins in 80 games.

For a while almost every team was making the playoff too, so maybe it felt less tragic to have no shot at the cups but still at least have some playoff time.

That said Sakic/Yzerman early days were far from McDavid winning Art Ross type, if the oilers stay bad one more season he would be above them certainly.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
It bothers me how so many people over here are pitying McDavid. They sound like he is in his late 20s/early 30s and his career has been wasted. On top of that sounds like every other player on his team is total trash which is not the case. RHN, Draisatl, Nurse are just a few who are great hockey players in their own right. There were so many star players in the past who had so much worse supporting cast earlier in their careers than McDavid. Ovi, Lemieux, Yzerman, Nash, Iginla, Bure, Bourque just to name a few

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Please decide if you like those draft, cap, parity things OR NOT. Pretty please with sugar on top.

I thought the overwhelming consensus was those things were great. But that's how a McJesus ends up on an Oilers show.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
And he'll be on a bad team for at least another 3-4 years.

Does your crystal ball say this?

They are 6 points out of a playoff spot right now, with a little luck they could still make the playoffs but I doubt it for this year.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Does your crystal ball say this?

They are 6 points out of a playoff spot right now, with a little luck they could still make the playoffs but I doubt it for this year.

Oh my god, fans of western teams are out of their ****ing minds.

I say this as somebody arguing against the same general delusion on the Blackhawks forums.

**** teams are in playoff 'contention' because the west, in aggregate is trash. But the teams at the top of the west, are actually quite good, and would kick the ever loving **** out of whichever team in the wildcard race ultimately wins the tallest midget contest.

Scraping into the playoffs in a year where it takes 10 fewer points (minimum) to do so, doesn't mean you're on the right track, it means you lucked out in a fluke year.

By all means, build around that. I love comedy.

Reactions: Individual 1

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Oh my god, fans of western teams are out of their ****ing minds.

Sure and some fans of eastern teams are out of their minds as well.

I say this as somebody arguing against the same general delusion on the Blackhawks forums.

I thought the Hawks were out of it and now they are 4 points out of a playoff spot, not sure if they make it as I think the Blues are a lock and there is only 1 spot available

**** teams are in playoff 'contention' because the west, in aggregate is trash. But the teams at the top of the west, are actually quite good, and would kick the ever loving **** out of whichever team in the wildcard race ultimately wins the tallest midget contest.

Sure I would expect the team to get the last seed in the west to lose in the first round, same with the East, unless the Pens are that 8th team.

hard to quantify as it's 100% subjective though right?

Scraping into the playoffs in a year where it takes 10 fewer points (minimum) to do so, doesn't mean you're on the right track, it means you lucked out in a fluke year.

8 teams make the playoffs in each conference, points don't carry over or have any impact on the plyoffs at all.

By all means, build around that. I love comedy.

Funny you seem more like a drama guy to me.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I do believe the incompetent Oilers will be a contender in 2-3ish years. If that doesn’t happen, then yes, no player will have been more wasted.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Nathan MacKinnon has yet to win a playoff round and it looks like the Avs are floundering again this year. Lemieux didn't even play in the playoffs at this point in his career.
Colorado has a much better futures collection than Edmonton. Made the playoffs last year, and would have easily made it this year with average goaltending.

I don't know if there's much help coming for Edmonton, unless they win a top draft pick if they miss the playoffs.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Yup...

RNH... He has gone through this garbage for 8 seasons and has seen 7 different guys behind the bench as head coach....

He keeps his mouth shut and always does his job and his talent has always been wasted there

I think he would be unreal elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad