Has any active NHL players committed suicide or attempted to?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Clint Malarchuk attempted to commit suicide. He suffers from PTSD from the incident where his throat was slashed by a skate blade in a game in 1989. He also suffers from OCD (which he takes medication for) and alcoholism which probably doesn't help his situation that much. ...

Clint actually shot himself in the head once; which while obviously damaging, was not fatal. As a former Buffalo Sabres player, (and human being) I find myself worrying about him.

Just hope he finds enough peace in his world to enjoy it as long as he can...
As described in great (and sometimes gory) detail in his book A Matter Of Inches: How I Survived in the Crease and Beyond (titled The Crazy Game in Canada), Malarchuk was troubled for most of his life & developed some very self-destructive habits during his playing career, especially after the skate accident in 1989. But as a direct response to the OP's "active NHL players" condition, Malarchuk's only true suicide attempt actually occurred after his playing career had ended (2008 - self-inflicted GSW beneath his chin with the bullet lodging in the vicinity of his forehead). For anyone who can stand the even more graphic details, his book tells a very powerful story. Malarchuk's Players' Tribune article from March of this year presents a shorter version.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Theo Fleury mentions at least once or twice how he was ready to either overdose or shoot himself in order to end it all.

I believe he binged on cocaine for a week straight once, over an 8 ball a day, in an attempt to kill himself.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
As described in great (and sometimes gory) detail in his book A Matter Of Inches: How I Survived in the Crease and Beyond (titled The Crazy Game in Canada), Malarchuk was troubled for most of his life & developed some very self-destructive habits during his playing career, especially after the skate accident in 1989. But as a direct response to the OP's "active NHL players" condition, Malarchuk's only true suicide attempt actually occurred after his playing career had ended (2008 - self-inflicted GSW beneath his chin with the bullet lodging in the vicinity of his forehead). For anyone who can stand the even more graphic details, his book tells a very powerful story. Malarchuk's Players' Tribune article from March of this year presents a shorter version.

There is a good documentary on Clint Malarchuk, a 30/30 type, which I have to say I found painful. It covers all we have discussed.

The skate incident I saw, and for one of the few times in my life was shocked. 29 years later it still haunts me. If it haunts me, one can only imagine what it does to Clint.

If there's one person I pull for, it's Clint.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Trevor Ettinger was drafted Round 6 by the Edmonton Oilers in 1998. He played for the Syracuse Crunch in the AHL until 02-03 on July 28th 2003 he killed himself in his parents home in Upper Kennetcook, Nova Scotia by gunshot. He never put him more then 10 points in a season but he was known for his fights in the QMJHL and a bit in the AHL. His biggest moment being a fight between Carlyle Lewis that lasted 3 minutes long in 1998 on New Years Day. Only clips can be found of it. He will be missed.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
No one has mentioned some of the HHOFers who took their own life in their waning years.

As someone who respects the artistry of Hemingway independent of his last decision, I'll refrain from this discussion other than to say: what a player does during their career is totally different than who they do after their career is over.

Dooman

Mar 8, 2006
No one has mentioned some of the HHOFers who took their own life in their waning years.

As someone who respects the artistry of Hemingway independent of his last decision, I'll refrain from this discussion other than to say: what a player does during their career is totally different than who they do after their career is over.

The OP was about active players, that's why I stuck with Hirsch. Plus it's a compelling read.

Kim Davis

Dec 28, 2018
There was a story in Hockey Illutrated once about a player named Bill Heindl, a teamate of Bobby Orr's in junior, who attempted suicide by jumping off a bridge in Winnipeg. He survived the jump. The issue of Hockey Illustrated was from the late 70's and I checked Heindl's bio and he died in 1992 when he was only 45. so maybe his depression returned.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Clint actually shot himself in the head once; which while obviously damaging, was not fatal. As a former Buffalo Sabres player, (and human being) I find myself worrying about him.

Just hope he finds enough peace in his world to enjoy it as long as he can...

Are you personally a former Sabre player or am I misreading?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad