Has a team has ever traded every pick they had for a draft?

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Yep, St. Louis in 1983. They boycotted the draft in the midst of their then-impending move to Saskatoon.
So they just boycotted but didn’t actually trade all their picks. That’s actually a dumb thing to do since it only hurts the team and all of the other teams get the benefit.
So is there an example of a team trading away all of their picks?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
St. Louis is the right answer.
While the Blues had traded a few picks in that draft [namely their 1st and 2nd round picks], they still had other picks available; they just didn't have a designated representative for the draft.

So, while it is accurate to say that the Blues are the only team to ever not participate at all at a draft, it's inaccurate to say that they did so because they had traded away all of their picks.

See the link below for the story [details on the draft about halfway down].

The Saskatoon Blues: The Story

So they just boycotted but didn’t actually trade all their picks. That’s actually a dumb thing to do since it only hurts the team and all of the other teams get the benefit.
See link above.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
While the Blues had traded a few picks in that draft [namely their 1st and 2nd round picks], they still had other picks available; they just didn't have a designated representative for the draft.

So, while it is accurate to say that the Blues are the only team to ever not participate at all at a draft, it's inaccurate to say that they did so because they had traded away all of their picks.

See the link below for the story [details on the draft about halfway down].

The Saskatoon Blues: The Story

The Moderator changed the title, so St. Louis was correct for the original question.

See Post #7.

No one is saying St. Louis traded all their picks.

Reactions: Glengarry Glencross

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
The Islanders were rumored to have offered Columbus their entire draft in 2012 for Ryan Murray. I'm pretty neutral on Garth Snow during the Wang era, I don't see him doing this. He was very conservative when it came to picks. Hell, the only guy that panned out from that draft was Pelech in the 3rd round.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I believe New Jersey made the offer to Pittsburgh to move up for Lemieux

In 2012 the NYIslanders offered all their picks, including the 4th OV, to Columbus for the 2nd OV pick. Ther were rumoured to target Ryan Murray.

I believe that, if accepted, that would had been the biggest nothing for nothing blockbuster in NHL history.

Nevermind, already mentioned above.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The Moderator changed the title, so St. Louis was correct for the original question.
I didn't see the original question; however, I noted how the responses were being framed given the question posed in the OP regarding the trading of all draft picks.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The Islanders were rumored to have offered Columbus their entire draft in 2012 for Ryan Murray. I'm pretty neutral on Garth Snow during the Wang era, I don't see him doing this. He was very conservative when it came to picks. Hell, the only guy that panned out from that draft was Pelech in the 3rd round.

Reinhart = Barzal and Beauvillier
Pokka = Leddy

Probably one of the best drafts Snow had when you factor in the 2 trades.

All that being said I heard the story was he would have done it if Yakupov fell to #2

Reactions: LordNeverLose

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Columbus still has two later round picks, but you know they're gonna phone it in at the 2019 draft.

Columbus has been doing great with late round picks though.

Well, maybe not great, but solid enough. I know Atkinson was late and Nutivaara was too. There have been a few others.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I never believed the rumor for Yakupov/Murray. I also heard that it was if Yakupov dropped and it wasn't all the picks.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
That is still drafting a player that year, my question is making Zero picks in a draft. Say if Columbus trades it’s 2 picks for a 2nd next year and drafts No One.

On a side note that 2012 draft is looking very mediocre I am sure I would not trade Forsberg at #11 for anyone in that top 10.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->