Has A Lack Of Scoring Depth Become A Problem?

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
People have talked about injuries, how Hutchinson isn't an NHL-calibre goalie, defensive problems and JT's struggles (he now has five goals in his last four games), but what about the lack of scoring from the entire bottom six outside of Spezza in the last few weeks?

I honestly can't remember the last goal Kapanen scored. Johnsson hasn't been putting the puck in the net very frequently the last few weeks. Timashov and Gauthier obviously don't score very many goals. Kerfoot, who has played in the top six at times, hasn't been very noticeable on offense to me since early in the season. I remember an Avalanche fan did say he disappears later on in seasons.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I’m not indifferent to your point, but Leafs are leading the league in goals, second in GF/G.

I’m not worried about chipping the engine for extra HP on a Mustang when the thing has brake problems.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I’m not indifferent to your point, but Leafs are leading the league in goals, second in GF/G.

I’m not worried about chipping the engine for extra HP on a Mustang when the thing has brake problems.

Well said.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Recently, maybe. In general, not at all.

They are still generating opportunities. Just struggling to finishing at times.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Think some of this might also be Keefe not holding back his top two lines. Babcock never wanted any player coming across as more important them himself. The cost is the amount of situations the 3rd and 4th lines are going to get under Keefe as well.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
As great as more varied scoring would be, I think the other points mentioned are the greater concerns. Tough go for the defence in having to effectively replace Rielly's minutes. Hopefully, Campbell will continue to provide that needed upgrade in goal. Finally, for as high as the team ranks in GF, they are a bit lower than that in goal differential.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

There’s really nothing going more to say in my opinion.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
As great as more varied scoring would be, I think the other points mentioned are the greater concerns. Tough go for the defence in having to effectively replace Rielly's minutes. Hopefully, Campbell will continue to provide that needed upgrade in goal. Finally, for as high as the team ranks in GF, they are a bit lower than that in goal differential.

I think that goal differential will already improve just by going from Hutch to Campbell, assuming we do not get worse in any other area.

If Hutch was in net, I am not sure we get away with any points from that back-to-back. And the Leafs definitely deserved to get at least 3 points, even with their 3rd period issues.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think that goal differential will already improve just by going from Hutch to Campbell, assuming we do not get worse in any other area.

If Hutch was in net, I am not sure we get away with any points from that back-to-back. And the Leafs definitely deserved to get at least 3 points, even with their 3rd period issues.

I'd agree with all of this.

I'd say the team faring so well in GF and having the GD being lower in ranking than that suggests where the greater problem overall lies (goaltending/defensively). I might be surprised that Campbell won the start he did and lost the start he did, but it evens out more than well with the three points out of four IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad