Has a goalie ever scored a game winner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Haha! I saw the headline "Ward scores game winner for Hurricanes" at TSN.ca and thought, Cam Ward scored the game winner for the Hurricanes? Then I realized it was Aaron Ward. :propeller

It made me wonder though, has any goaltender EVER scored a game winner? :confused:

It could potentially happen. In international hockey, if there's a round robin, a team may need to win and pull their goalie during a tie. Even in the NHL, if a team has a delayed penalty, they pull their goalie. Shots on goal don't stop the play, so the goalie can contact the puck. It's incredibly unlikely, but a sharp angled shot or pass from behind the net could be re-directed by the goaltender and go all the way back down the ice into the net. Haha, I know, I said incredibly unlikely. Also, goals are credited to the last player that touched the puck, so an errant pass after a rebound could go into an empty cage.

Anyway, trivia buffs do your worst! ;)

Interesting factoid - in box lacrosse, teams pull their goalies during delayed penalties as well. However, when the GM of my junior club was a semi-pro goalie in the 70's, he would regularly go up into the play instead of going to the bench. He had (and still has) a cannon of a shot with the big goalie stick. Apparently he scored 17 goals one season.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Didn't Brodeur get credit with a game-winner? He actually shot a puck for a goal once, but he got credit for another goal after that in one of those fluke last guy to touch it delayed penalty messes. I think that second one was a winner.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Brodeur scored a GW. He scored an EN but the other team still managed to score a goal so he got the GW.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Brodeur scored a GW. He scored an EN but the other team still managed to score a goal so he got the GW.

That's so selfish. Allow a late goal just so he can be credited with a game winner? For shame.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
12# Peter Bondra said:

Easily the most likely scenario for a GW to be scored by a goaltender, and I somehow overlooked it. Sheesh. :shakehead

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
12# Peter Bondra said:

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Brodeur's GW goal (of the fluky delayed penalty variety) happened in the 2nd period. Then Brodeur gave up a goal during the 3rd, but the Devils ended up winning and the fluky goal was the game winner.

KOVALEV10*

Theodore is the only goalie to score a goal and get a shutout in the same game. January 2 2001 vs the ISLANDERS.

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
KOVALEV10 said:
Theodore is the only goalie to score a goal and get a shutout in the same game. January 2 2001 vs the ISLANDERS.

Didn't Damion Rhodes get a goal and a shutout in the same game as well?

I think Theo was also the only goalie to score his goal backhanded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->