Hartsburg joins the pro-cap chorus

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
1. Does this hurt Hartsburg if/when he gets back to coaching in the NHL?
2. Are the former players echoing what the current players are thinking?

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2005/01/14/898403.html

Cap the only way: Hartsburg

By TERRY KOSHAN -- Toronto Sun

The road to NHL success in the future has to be partially paved with a salary cap.

That's coming from former NHL defenceman Craig Hartsburg, who enjoyed a solid 10-year career with the Minnesota North Stars before moving into the coaching ranks with the Chicago Blackhawks and Anaheim Mighty Ducks.

"I do (feel a salary cap is needed) because I don't think some of the owners can cap themselves," said Hartsburg, who left his role as an assistant behind the Philadelphia Flyers bench earlier this season to take over as head coach of the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.

"They make it worse for everybody else. The financial part has to change before (the game) can change anywhere else. If they all work together, players and owners, and come up with the right numbers, I think it can work."

Lanny MacDonald*

I can't wait for Wetcoaster and Benjamin to spin this one. This should be good for grin or two. ;)

Wetcoaster

CarlRacki said:

The road to NHL success in the future has to be partially paved with a salary cap.

That's coming from former NHL defenceman Craig Hartsburg, who enjoyed a solid 10-year career with the Minnesota North Stars before moving into the coaching ranks with the Chicago Blackhawks and Anaheim Mighty Ducks.

"I do (feel a salary cap is needed) because I don't think some of the owners can cap themselves," said Hartsburg, who left his role as an assistant behind the Philadelphia Flyers bench earlier this season to take over as head coach of the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.

"They make it worse for everybody else. The financial part has to change before (the game) can change anywhere else. If they all work together, players and owners, and come up with the right numbers, I think it can work."

This shocks and awes me. I could have sworn Hartsburg would have come down firmly on the side of the NHLPA and appended Goodenow's letter of reference when applying for NHL coaching jobs in the future.

iagreewithidiots

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
1. Why would it? If he comes back he will be working for the owners not the players. I dont think there is that large a number of players that are so against the cap they would try to kill him in the locker room.

2. Depends on what players you ask.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
CarlRacki said:

Sounds like he's desperate for a job and trying his best attempt to be an owners schill.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
ScottyBowman said:
Sounds like he's desperate for a job and trying his best attempt to be an owners schill.

Ummm ... but he has a job. In fact, he had an NHL job last season and left it voluntarily to coach juniors.

Wetcoaster

CarlRacki said:
Ummm ... but he has a job. In fact, he had an NHL job last season and left it voluntarily to coach juniors.

It was less than "voluntary" - he and head coach Glen Hanlon had differences of opinion.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Wetcoaster said:
It was less than "voluntary" - he and head coach Glen Hanlon had differences of opinion.

Yeah, that was unfortunate. Especially since Hanlon coaches the Washington Capitals and Hartsburg was an assistant with the Philadelphia Flyers.
And shame on Bob Clarke and Ken Hitchcock for letting another team's coach force Hartsburg out. :shakehead

Wetcoaster

CarlRacki said:
Yeah, that was unfortunate. Especially since Hanlon coaches the Washington Capitals and Hartsburg was an assistant with the Philadelphia Flyers.
And shame on Bob Clarke and Ken Hitchcock for letting another team's coach force Hartsburg out. :shakehead

OOPS!!!!! Wrong "H". I thought "Ken Hitchcock" and typed "Glen Hanlon" easy to confuse the two as they look so much alike. :dunno:

Hartsburg was "released" from his contract and replaced with Terry Murray, a close friend of Hitchcock and a disciple of defensive hockey. There were reports of friction between Hitchcock and Hartsburg over strategy with Hartsburg wanting more offence from the D jumping up into the play and Hitchcock wanting a more conservative style. Who knows.

In any event if Hartsburg wants to return to the NHL any time in the future, supporting the NHLPA would not be a smart career move.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Wetcoaster said:
OOPS!!!!! Wrong "H". I thought "Ken Hitchcock" and typed "Glen Hanlon" easy to confuse the two as they look so much alike. :dunno:

Hartsburg was "released" from his contract and replaced with Terry Murray, a close friend of Hitchcock and a disciple of defensive hockey. There were reports of friction between Hitchcock and Hartsburg over strategy with Hartsburg wanting more offence from the D jumping up into the play and Hitchcock wanting a more conservative style. Who knows.

In any event if Hartsburg wants to return to the NHL any time in the future, supporting the NHLPA would not be a smart career move.

Fair enough, I'll assume you made an honest mistake. But regarding his non-support of the NHLPA, his remarks are just part of a trend of former players talking about the logic behind and need for a salary cap. Are Patrick Roy and Adam Oates angling for coaching jobs as well?

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I wonder if Bettman ever found out who it was that leaked his counterproposal. Remember when he invited anyone to snitch and he'd make it worth their while? I guess everyone has to take sides now if they want to work in the NHL again. This would likely include ex hockey players hoping to stay in the business in new capacities. It would be easier on all of us if the players would just give in to the billionaires. But its not the right thing for them to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad