News Article: Hartnell ready for fresh start with Flyers

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20131001_Hartnell_ready_for_fresh_start_with_Flyers.html

After beginning last season out of shape and then suffering a broken left foot and never getting into a rhythm, shaggy-haired Flyers left winger Scott Hartnell is a new player this year.

Leaner. Faster. More driven.

"He's in the best shape of his life," general manager Paul Holmgren said after Monday's practice in Voorhees. "His body fat is 7 percent lower than it's ever been, so he did the work in the offseason that we asked him to do."

When Hartnell returned after missing 16 games because of his injury, "he was probably in worse shape than when he broke his foot because he couldn't do anything," Holmgren said. "But to his credit, he came back and he tried out there. There were games where he looked OK, and other games where he looked like he couldn't keep up. He admitted to me in his end-of-year meeting, 'I looked like a third-line player.' "

Holmgren chuckled.

"I think my comment was, 'Yeah, and a bad one.' But like I said, he did the work. I'm happy and proud of him for doing it. Now he has to continue it."

Classic Homer.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

You can't work the fat off your head though...that will be the main thing with Hartnell....keeping things simple and not playing stupid like he does sometimes where he is running around like a mad man and of course falling down...

"His body fat is 7 percent lower than it's ever been, so he did the work in the offseason that we asked him to do."

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
You can't work the fat off your head though...that will be the main thing with Hartnell....keeping things simple and not playing stupid like he does sometimes where he is running around like a mad man and of course falling down...

Yea, hopefully he won't throw his glove at someone on breakaway this season. :laugh:

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.

That's awesome to hear that he appears to be in the best shape ever. That will hopefully go a long way and he can get back to the 30+ goal mark.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
I would like to see Hartnell play on the 2nd line with Vinnie just because of his size and grit. Leave the top line speedy with Voracek, Giroux and insert Read.
2nd Line Simmer, Vinnie and Harts.

pughater

Jan 25, 2008
montgomery county
met him at his charity golf outing and i can say not only is he a nice guy but in the best shape ive seen him. guy is ready to go and couldnt wait to skate again

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Such a shame his redirection from G's pass against Toronto went just wide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->