Confirmed with Link: Hartford Wolfpack fire HC Keith McCambridge

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
There’s such beauty in TurgePurge coming back under his other moniker only to call for hiring one of the worst WHL coaches over the last two years and a Lindy Ruff tagalong.

That’s definitely how you’re going to turn Hartford around, hiring off the Lindy Ruff coaching tree.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It also doesn't help that they were doing well for a good part of the season...and then their best players got traded.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The Rangers should offer the job to Rikard Gronborg. He wants to coach in the NHL someday. He has dual US-Swedish citizenship. His wife is an American girl. He went to school here. Someone isn't hiring him without NHL or AHL experience. If Gronborg plays his cards right and is patient, he eventually replaces Quinn. The average NHL coach lasts 3-4 years before the players get sick of him and stop listening.

Gronborg sounds good but more generally, AHL head-coaching should be given to someone who has a potential and could be groomed into an eventual NHL head coach. For some reason this organization generally passed on development of their own coaching staff into NHL level options and when it has own NHL opening - there are no internal candidate that should be given serious consideration.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
IDK. With St. John's he had two good years, two bad years, and a horrendous year. Comes here and has a "meh" season and a bad season. Overall 2 playoff appearances in 7 seasons.

I never thought he was bad. But, I didn't see anything special. We weren't especially organized in a tight system or playing balls to the wall. He seemed mediocre to me. A bit of a step up from Company Man Ken.

I think Hartford should have made the playoffs last year and should have at least competed for a spot this year (until we started to dismantle it).

This! Also it definitely was puzzling to me that prospects that were reported as struggling in Hartford looked pretty good when they were brought up. Completely understand that more structure in the NHL makes prospects look better in certain situations but that phenomenon was across the board and so was giving me an impression that something else was off with the Pack.

P.S. Probably better this way than if all prospects that looked good in the AHL looked completely out of place with the Rangers (like Lettieri)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It also doesn't help that they were doing well for a good part of the season...and then their best players got traded.
I don't think this is accurate. When they traded Cole Schneider they were 18-17-4 and 13th in the Eastern conference. They were better than they ended up, but they weren't doing well--they were on the outside of the playoff picture almost the entire year.

Who else did they trade? Pedrie sucked and was in the ECHL. When they traded Holland they were 21-25-8 and last in their division, essentially done, and the deal netted them something the team needed (RHD), particularly given how horrible they were defensively. Trading the goalies was a no-brainer as they both played poorly and the organization wanted to get a look at Halverson (and eventually Huska).

IDK--I don't remember Hartford ever playing "well" outside maybe the first month. It definitely wasn't trades that sunk them.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
hoping Drury hires a guy like this, even if it means he gets some of Drury's admin titles/roles:

i believe i read that Mike Velucci contract expires after this season
Elite Prospects - Mike Vellucci Team Staff Profile

2017-18 Carolina Hurricanes NHL Asst. General Manager
Carolina Hurricanes NHL Dir. of Hockey Operations
Charlotte Checkers AHL Head Coach
2018-19 Carolina Hurricanes NHL Asst. General Manager
Carolina Hurricanes NHL Dir. of Hockey Operations
Charlotte Checkers AHL Head Coach

Charlotte Checkers team led AHL in points this season
Developed numerous prospects into NHL regulars
resume includes being 1st American born HC to be 'coach of the year' in OHL
age 52, just a few months older than NYR coach Quinn

[ADDED oh and this from yesterday:
April 15, 2019 at 4:15 PM EDT - Updated April 15 at 4:15 PM
The AHL today announced that Mike Vellucci has been selected as the winner of the Louis A.R. Pieri Award as the league’s outstanding coach for the 2018-19 season.]

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Wasn't there a coach last year or the year before that was rumored to come over to the wolfpack after his contract expired with his local team? I cannot remember who it was but I specifically remember reading a big article about it on a thread on this board right around the KM hire

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Wasn't there a coach last year or the year before that was rumored to come over to the wolfpack after his contract expired with his local team? I cannot remember who it was but I specifically remember reading a big article about it on a thread on this board right around the KM hire
Filip Pesan from Extraliga? He was at training camp last year.

Reactions: TheTakedown

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Pešán is also the guy that coaches Liberec, currently in the ELH finals, and the team Lakatos plays for. He does not seem to like Lakatos. LOL. Not that there was any chance of Lakatos getting signed as it is, but bringing in Pešán would be the final nail in that coffin.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Pešán is also the guy that coaches Liberec, currently in the ELH finals, and the team Lakatos plays for. He does not seem to like Lakatos. LOL. Not that there was any chance of Lakatos getting signed as it is, but bringing in Pešán would be the final nail in that coffin.
I think him and Chytil butted heads a lot at the WJC or something.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
The Rangers should offer the job to Rikard Gronborg. He wants to coach in the NHL someday. He has dual US-Swedish citizenship. His wife is an American girl. He went to school here. Someone isn't hiring him without NHL or AHL experience. If Gronborg plays his cards right and is patient, he eventually replaces Quinn. The average NHL coach lasts 3-4 years before the players get sick of him and stop listening.

do you think he comes all the way over from Europe to coach the Wolfpack though? He seems like he'd be good for the job but I don't see him coming to the USA for anything less than an assistant coach role. or associate.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Well at least they recognize there was an issue
Was terrified that the whole situation in Hartford would be overlooked (because we ARE the Rangers, right?) Well, maybe finally that mantra can be put to pasture.

New regime, new start. Doing things right.

Never want anyone to lose their job (except, AV and Ruff), but I suppose this had to be done.

When you CANNOT trust sending players there, and 100% KNOWING they would get proper guidance and IMPROVE, then there is a problem.

When a good player like Hayek scuffles there, then comes to the NHL and EXCELS......well then, the answer is obvious.
Time to clean house.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
Let Quinn hire the Hartford Coach. The team needs to play the same system as the big club . Both coaches need to be on the same page and coach that will insist on player's playing the correct way . I keep hearing the WHO is "Scr ambly"

that's on the coaching . There is no reason at even an AHL level thAt player's should consistently be out of position

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Grönborg will coach ZCS Lions next season:
Här är Grönborgs nya klubb

He wasn't getting a HC job in the NHL with how little experience he has coaching club hockey. Not sure how keen NHL coaches were on bringing him on as an assistent either, and the money probably differs a lot between an AHL gig and the Swiss league. He will get a brand new BMW and a good pay check there.

Boring option from my POV.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Coaches generally sign during the spring. Don't think there will be many options still out there when Davidsson "have done the right thing" and negotiated with Dolan.

Its just more of the same trend as we have seen the last decade, the AHL its a total afterthought for our management. Sather threated it like it was done in the 70s and Gorton has stayed with the same and doesn't seem to have the energy to deal with it. The only one who changed anything in this field was Renney. We continue to be a organization with A-tier resources that are run like a country club in many areas.

What have Davidsson ever done? He was a hockey player in the 70's and then screamed o'baby what a save on TV for a while. Great, just what we need, someone that won't get in the way.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Grönborg will coach ZCS Lions next season:
Här är Grönborgs nya klubb

He wasn't getting a HC job in the NHL with how little experience he has coaching club hockey. Not sure how keen NHL coaches were on bringing him on as an assistent either, and the money probably differs a lot between an AHL gig and the Swiss league. He will get a brand new BMW and a good pay check there.

Boring option from my POV.

Not boring to me, my favorite team in that league ! Captain Kevin Klein and Dom Moore coming back next season?

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->