Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Cincinnati Cyclones Thread: Part XV

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Is it true Cuyle can turn into a Wayne Simmonds type? Simmonds scored 50-60 points in his hay day.

Probably not, he's got a very good shot and he plays with speed and physicality, he probably tops out as a middle 6 utility winger. But I'm not a prospect expert and there's a billion people that know more probably

How can this question be even attempted to be answered?
pretty easily actually without being rude

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Probably not, he's got a very good shot and he plays with speed and physicality, he probably tops out as a middle 6 utility winger. But I'm not a prospect expert and there's a billion people that know more probably

pretty easily actually without being rude
Coming up with a response to what a prospect could be at the NHL level without actually event playing at the NHL level is as pretty much asking to describe a pie in the sky scenario.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Coming up with a response to what a prospect could be at the NHL level without actually event playing at the NHL level is as pretty much asking to describe a pie in the sky scenario.
you know it's possible to try and project prospects based on their style and strengths without guaranteeing they will mirror an NHL level player?

why even analyze prospects if you can't use your research to come up with an NHL prediction lol

Reactions: pld459666

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Wall isn't even in the conversation yet and may never be.

To be honest—maybe it’s just the f***ed up year but I don’t like where either of Huska/Wall are right now. I don’t think Lindbom has played well which pretty much leaves us with Garand and Ollas as maybe the best hopes.

Alex has had some struggles but this is like his 4th year up and his NHL save % has always been above the .900 mark and he’s only a year older really than Huska—no NHL experience. What makes you think that Adam is going to be better than Alex if given that chance? I know a lot of people don’t like Georgiev but to me this is more likely replacing a better goalie with a worse goalie.

But you ask me if Jesper Wallstedt is available our turn in the 2021 draft that’s who I’d take. That would really fix our goalie issues for a long time.

Reactions: leetch99

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Cuylle seems more like a 20-15 guy who is a pain in the ass to play against. His overall offensive skill set is good but not great. He has that great shot but not a whole lot else from a skills perspective. I really like him given where we got him, but Simmonds-level scoring would require a huge leap in his offensive instincts, or some remarkable chemistry with a top player or something unusual.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
To be honest—maybe it’s just the f***ed up year but I don’t like where either of Huska/Wall are right now. I don’t think Lindbom has played well which pretty much leaves us with Garand and Ollas as maybe the best hopes.

Alex has had some struggles but this is like his 4th year up and his NHL save % has always been above the .900 mark and he’s only a year older really than Huska—no NHL experience. What makes you think that Adam is going to be better than Alex if given that chance? I know a lot of people don’t like Georgiev but to me this is more likely replacing a better goalie with a worse goalie.

But you ask me if Jesper Wallstedt is available our turn in the 2021 draft that’s who I’d take. That would really fix our goalie issues for a long time.
Seems like our goalie issue is limited to who the backup will be moving forward. Given that's not something super pressing or even hard to fix, I would not want to use a premium pick on the position. They can keep taking guys in the mid/late rounds and sign a UDFA or two. One of them will hit.

It's also worth mentioning that Hartford has had some real problems defensively for a long time. The same year Georgiev had a .914 SV% with the Rangers, he was lit up in Hartford over 11 games and had an .883 SV%. I'm not going to argue that Huska is equal to or better than Georgiev or that he ever will be, but having seen most of Hartford's games this year I do think his numbers are a bit distorted.

They could go sign one of Mann or Soderblom and really help the situation.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
you know it's possible to try and project prospects based on their style and strengths without guaranteeing they will mirror an NHL level player?

why even analyze prospects if you can't use your research to come up with an NHL prediction lol
Well, anyone CAN be the best Gretzky.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Seems like our goalie issue is limited to who the backup will be moving forward. Given that's not something super pressing or even hard to fix, I would not want to use a premium pick on the position. They can keep taking guys in the mid/late rounds and sign a UDFA or two. One of them will hit.

It's also worth mentioning that Hartford has had some real problems defensively for a long time. The same year Georgiev had a .914 SV% with the Rangers, he was lit up in Hartford over 11 games and had an .883 SV%. I'm not going to argue that Huska is equal to or better than Georgiev or that he ever will be, but having seen most of Hartford's games this year I do think his numbers are a bit distorted.

I think Huska has looked really steady in the 2nd half of whatever this season has been. The big stretch of games where they won a lot more than lost was due to Huska bringing a steadiness in goal. He's not necessarily going to be Mr. Fast Twitch or Mr. Reflexes, but he's been solid. That said, at this moment, I think Kinkaid and Georgy are better. Wall is the one who is going to need a lot more time.

Outside of Huska the only goalie I have some hope for Garand. But I suppose Ollas could develop too.

Reactions: nyr2k2

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
To be honest—maybe it’s just the f***ed up year but I don’t like where either of Huska/Wall are right now. I don’t think Lindbom has played well which pretty much leaves us with Garand and Ollas as maybe the

Not dumping on Georgi even though he’s pretty pricy as far as back ups go. I think huska would really surprise many if given the opportunity. Georgiev def has better AHL stats but also a better more seasoned team in front of him. When huska played against the Flyers in the pre season I thought he looked good for the most part.
We agree on Wallstedt though. I would have no problem spending draft capital on him as insurance for shesty. I think he turns out to be one of the best players in the first RD

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So, asking whether Cuylle can reach Wayne Simmonds level or not is the equivalent of asking if he can be Gretzky?
No. But when asking is is possible for a prospect to become someone before they have ever stepped a toe into the NHL is just as good as asking is it possible that Lafreniere is the next Gretzky. Anything is possible.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I would disagree here and a main reason why is I think Wallstedt has a for real chance of becoming the best player out of his draft year. I think Igor is a great goalie but I also wonder if he’s going to be a fragile goalie and I would like to back that position up with not just somebody okay or good but with somebody who would really push Igor for his starters job and it’s not really all that different an idea than having all the RD and LD that we have now. Besides that an 82 game season is pretty long and adding in 4 rounds of playoffs that’s a lot on one goalie and having that second option might be key to winning one day.

.....and really if Aattu Raty ends up a 3C and you’ve passed up on a legit starting goalie IMO that’s not good drafting and this draft is not that deep in quality forwards.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I would disagree here and a main reason why is I think Wallstedt has a for real chance of becoming the best player out of his draft year. I think Igor is a great goalie but I also wonder if he’s going to be a fragile goalie and I would like to back that position up with not just somebody okay or good but with somebody who would really push Igor for his starters job and it’s not really all that different an idea than having all the RD and LD that we have now. Besides that an 82 game season is pretty long and adding in 4 rounds of playoffs that’s a lot on one goalie and having that second option might be key to winning one day.

.....and really if Aattu Raty ends up a 3C and you’ve passed up on a legit starting goalie IMO that’s not good drafting and this draft is not that deep in quality forwards.
I don't agree but understand your position. I guess we'll have to see where we end up. Say we're 15--I can think of a dozen guys that could be available there that I don't absolutely love but would still prefer we take to the goalie.

If they added another first by trading Buchnevich or something, I would be more open to it.

Reactions: eco's bones

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
very often, these boards are my school

re Cuylle, yeah great timing,
as my grandmother would have said
"his (Cuylle or Gorts) ears must have been buzzing"
ie he/they knew they were being talked about

Russian thing: ears turning red must mean someone is talking about you.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Barron has what 20 pts in 19 games plays wing and center and is a good face off guy and pker and we’re still looking at Brett Howden on left wing? Really?

with 10 games to go we aren’t seeing this kid in the nhl yet??

Look at the page before for an analysis that @Ranger Ric put together (awesome job by you, @gravey9 and other usuals leading this best thread on HFNYRB!)

At 5x5 Barron is about 0.5 PPG which is pretty good for a first-year pro but not too good to cry foul for keeping his in the AHL

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

Progression. His GAA is improving. His Save % was .902 before the last game.Is he better than Georgiev right now? Nope. Will he be a good enough for a spot start a cup of coffee next season? Maybe. Let's see how he finished off the season.

Reactions: egelband

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Does anyone in here know how long the NYR affiliation agreement lasts for with Maine?
multiple years....

I don't think there's a set length as long as Drury isn't leaving the Rangers, Danny Briere is firmly running the show here so that's not a concern even in this season.... and those relationships are tight with Riley Armstrong

Reactions: egelband

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Does anyone in here know how long the NYR affiliation agreement lasts for with Maine?

multiple years.... I don't think there's a set length as long as Drury isn't leaving the Rangers, Danny Briere is firmly running the show here so that's not a concern even in this season.... and those relationships are tight with Riley Armstrong

no term was announced back then
MARINERS ANNOUNCE AFFILIATION WITH NEW YORK RANGERS - Maine Mariners

but NYR have typically not changed very often, they went to Greenville only when Charlotte was transferring to AHL,

and this change (Greenville to Maine) was cited as mutual so both could have more local regional affiliations, which has been an emerging trend in hockey over last number of seasons
The Rangers have a new ECHL affiliate
... "“This is a mutual decision for us and New York,” Swamp Rabbits President and CEO Steve Donner said in the team’s press release. “We have both made the decision to go in a different direction and seek a more regional partner..."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->