Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Cincinnati Cyclones Thread: Part XV

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Barron has what 20 pts in 19 games plays wing and center and is a good face off guy and pker and we’re still looking at Brett Howden on left wing? Really?

with 10 games to go we aren’t seeing this kid in the nhl yet??
Maybe that’s the point. Maybe they don’t really want him playing on the 4tj line? Kravstov roams, the center positions are filled. Maybe playing Howden’s minutes is not how they want to develop him?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Barron is fine where he is. Just because a guy COULD move up doesn't mean he SHOULD move up. He's still learning, still getting better. It's not like he's Panarin, taking over games--he's a young guy playing very well but also one who makes mistakes and still has plenty he can learn at the AHL level. In a normal year, he hasn't even played one third of the AHL schedule. Sometimes when guys are doing well in the AHL, it's totally fine to leave them there and let them continue developing as-is.

Would he gain something from playing out the rest of the NHL season beginning now? Sure. Would it help him more than playing his normal, feature role for five more AHL games? I don't know that it would.

I'm not opposed to bringing him up, but it's not like leaving him in Hartford to finish the year is some massive waste of development time. Things are progressing nicely for him.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Barron is fine where he is. Just because a guy COULD move up doesn't mean he SHOULD move up. He's still learning, still getting better. It's not like he's Panarin, taking over games--he's a young guy playing very well but also one who makes mistakes and still has plenty he can learn at the AHL level. In a normal year, he hasn't even played one third of the AHL schedule. Sometimes when guys are doing well in the AHL, it's totally fine to leave them there and let them continue developing as-is.

Would he gain something from playing out the rest of the NHL season beginning now? Sure. Would it help him more than playing his normal, feature role for five more AHL games? I don't know that it would.

I'm not opposed to bringing him up, but it's not like leaving him in Hartford to finish the year is some massive waste of development time. Things are progressing nicely for him.
He can stay and continue to play bigger minutes. He will get his chance next year at a full camp.

Reactions: egelband

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Out of the guys we have down there to possibly play a game in a Ranger uniform in the next two seasons...how would they be ranked according to their nastiness ....not strictly fighting but rather just out and out don't make me mad attitude ? Do we have 3-4 in that lot that play like that ? Guys that don't mind the corner work and crease work and will give you a push[instigate the shoving part] after a whistle rather then skate fast to the bench or hide behind the officials ?

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
1-0 Bridgeport after 1. Shots 12-11 Pack. Pretty even period except Pack gave up 3 breakaway/partial breakaways and while Huska stopped 2 he was beaten on a snap shot. The Bridgeport goalie, Appleby, has an NHL contract and is not giving up any easy goals.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
In a perfect world, Huska signs a two year extension, gets a cup of coffee next season, and replaces Georgiev as the full time backup come fall 2022.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
1-1 after 2. Bridgeport dominates beginning of period and Pack lucky to survive. Then Ronning draws a penalty and on the PP Brodzinski throws the puck behind the net to Gettinger who comes behind the net and makes a nice pass to Greco who shoots it in. Gettinger also excellent on the PK. His play has made a complete U turn after the first 1 games. Pack play picks up after that. Shots are 19-15 Pack after 2.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
First 12 games.

1-1 after 2. Bridgeport dominates beginning of period and Pack lucky to survive. Then Ronning draws a penalty and on the PP Brodzinski throws the puck behind the net to Gettinger who comes behind the net and makes a nice pass to Greco who shoots it in. Gettinger also excellent on the PK. His play has made a complete U turn after the first 1 games. Pack play picks up after that. Shots are 19-15 Pack after 2.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Pack lose 4-3. Pack get a bad break to start the period. On the PK Gettinger collides with another Pack player and loses his skate blade resulting in a 5-3. Huska made a couple of saves on the scramble in front but Bridgeport finally puts it in. Later Bridgeport comes down on a 2-2 and the Pack defender on the right side gets beat and Bridgeport able to put it in. Huska may have overlaid the play. Ronning moved to the first line and that line puts pressure on. Loverde makes a great play holding the puck in along the boards and beating a couple of Bridgeport players to get the puck to Barron who gets the puck back to Guittari whose shot is blocked but comes right back to him and his second shot finds its way into the net. But the pack give back the goal with Bridgeport putting in a rebound. With Huska pulled Gettinger takes a shot from down low and Richards puts in the rebound with 11 seconds left. Pack outshot Bridgeport 33-25.

Sloppy defensive work for the Pack cost the team the game. The Guittari-Loverde combo seemed to have the most trouble but Reunanen with several miscues and Skinner beat on the first goal allowing a breakaway. Up front, Ronning active but held off the score sheet. Barron pretty quiet. Gettinger continues to play well.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Pack lose 4-3. From what I saw a really uninspired game from them. Gettinger was likely the most effective player. Cuylle had a rough one. took a penalty and then lost his man on the 3rd goal against. I don't think he saw the ice after that. Barron ended up with an assist but he had a very mediocre game. Didn't have much jump in this one compared to other games. Huska, despite how it looks played well. Just not a great game overall. Bridgeport played physical and just nothing the Wolfpack did seemed particularly crisp in this one.

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Skinner continues to play a very simple game. Moves the puck out of his zone. Not caught up ice. But not showing any special offensive ability that you might have thought based on his ECHL experience. Clearly comfortable at the AHL level but not standing out. Doesn't play PP or PK.
I wonder if - with all the good young defensemen ahead of him - the Rangers trade Skinner to an organization with less of a glut. So he can have a better shot.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
In a perfect world, Huska signs a two year extension, gets a cup of coffee next season, and replaces Georgiev as the full time backup come fall 2022.
I think Georgiev has actually come through a rough season pretty nicely. I’m impressed with him. His contract is a big much for a backup, depending on other needs. But in general I’m very happy with AG. I’d only move him to a team that wanted him as starter.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

In a perfect world Huska gets his AHL save % up to .910 or at least .900. I’m not really feeling it with him yet and FWIW he’s only a year or so younger than Alex. I’m not feeling it yet with Wall either.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Out of the guys we have down there to possibly play a game in a Ranger uniform in the next two seasons...how would they be ranked according to their nastiness ....not strictly fighting but rather just out and out don't make me mad attitude ? Do we have 3-4 in that lot that play like that ? Guys that don't mind the corner work and crease work and will give you a push[instigate the shoving part] after a whistle rather then skate fast to the bench or hide behind the officials ?

I think Cuylle is the closest who could turn into a legit NHL player but he’s at least a couple years away. Geertsen is a legit tough guy but he’s not someone to give serious ice time to. Crawley will play with an edge but he’s not much of a fighter and is not a regular in the lineup.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Skinner doesn't have much trade value right now. Let him play 1-2 years in Hartford and we'll see how he develops. It's possible that one of the defensemen ahead of him is traded.

I wonder if - with all the good young defensemen ahead of him - the Rangers trade Skinner to an organization with less of a glut. So he can have a better shot.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I agree with Eco B. Other than Geertsen the toughest players are Paul Thompson and Patrick Seiloff, both on AHL contracts but brought in for their grit. Crawley was loaned to another team because he wasn't good enough to beat out several players on AHL contracts. That should tell you something about his future in the organization. Geertsen is tough but not much of a player. Cuylle is willing to battle along the boards but I'm not sure I would say that as of yet he plays with an edge. And he is several years away. I'm not sure the player you are looking for is in the system right now.

I think Cuylle is the closest who could turn into a legit NHL player but he’s at least a couple years away. Geertsen is a legit tough guy but he’s not someone to give serious ice time to. Crawley will play with an edge but he’s not much of a fighter and is not a regular in the lineup.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
After Kinkaid was brought back to the Rangers Wall played and was just terrible. His confidence must be shot. When Huska came in he steadied the back end and the team started playing much better. Huska stops almost all of the shots you have to have but he is not making consistently sensational saves. When I saw him live last year he seemed to have trouble with rebounds. That is an issue. Barring a trade, I think next year Kinkaid and Huska are in Hartford and Wall is in Maine until he restores his confidence. But I'm not sure the goalie to replace Georgiev when he leaves is yet in the system.

In a perfect world Huska gets his AHL save % up to .910 or at least .900. I’m not really feeling it with him yet and FWIW he’s only a year or so younger than Alex. I’m not feeling it yet with Wall either.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The backup goalie is generally a bit of a revolving door. But that goes with the territory. If a guy develops into a starter you move him to a team with an opening. If the backup flames out, lather, rinse, repeat.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hasn't look out of place. Decent size and wheels allows him to keep up and be effective at this level. Not necessarily a stand out but he already has the size and skating ability to play at this level at his age. Has an above average shot for this level. He's been fairly effective along the walls which is a great sign for a kid his age. He plays a fairly responsible game. The other thing is -- he's not one of these prospects who comes to the pro game and has to completely remake his playing style. He came pro-style ready.

He's played a fair amount of the games for the Wolfpack but has also been scratched a bit lately. He's often playing with the 3rd line AHLers -- so he's often playing alongside guys who are going to grind plays out. He's not playing with really skilled guys. So, he's only got 5 pts in 12 or 13 games.

If there's a negative to this season for him, I would say it's that his game has leveled off. He started off strong and I'm not sure I've seen marked improvement throughout the year. I think he's been decent all along. But I would not see he's getting more dominant. And the scouting report on him when he was drafted is that he plays with an edge. I haven't necessarily seen edge, but he's not shy physically. Some of that may just be a strength/energy issue that can plague teenagers playing against men for the first time.

It will be interesting to see where he plays next year as he could possibly come to the Pack again or go back for a D+2 overage year assuming there's a somewhat normal Juniors season next year. There's an argument to be made for either approach. It might be nice for him to go back to Juniors so he can grow more confidence in his offensive game. Then again, if he gains more strength, going back to Juniors may not be as fruitful as playing against men again.

I think for him his training will be really important. I hope he gets to train with pro guys this off-season and builds up his strength and speed.

To sum up: there's plenty to be encouraged by. He seems to be on a path towards one day being a bottom 6 NHLer. Though, I doubt that happens next year. At minimum, my guess is 22-23 season or later. Which is likely better for the Rangers too.

I feel like this is some version of Gambler's fallacy but I'm rooting for him extra hard because I want to feel less bad about our 7 overall pick. Kind of like Sanguinetti bringing us Fast. Except Sanguinetti was a late first rounder. If we drafted Fast in the late first round we'd all be happy with the pick, even though we could had Girioux.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Pack lose 4-3. Pack get a bad break to start the period. On the PK Gettinger collides with another Pack player and loses his skate blade resulting in a 5-3. Huska made a couple of saves on the scramble in front but Bridgeport finally puts it in. Later Bridgeport comes down on a 2-2 and the Pack defender on the right side gets beat and Bridgeport able to put it in. Huska may have overlaid the play. Ronning moved to the first line and that line puts pressure on. Loverde makes a great play holding the puck in along the boards and beating a couple of Bridgeport players to get the puck to Barron who gets the puck back to Guittari whose shot is blocked but comes right back to him and his second shot finds its way into the net. But the pack give back the goal with Bridgeport putting in a rebound. With Huska pulled Gettinger takes a shot from down low and Richards puts in the rebound with 11 seconds left. Pack outshot Bridgeport 33-25.

Sloppy defensive work for the Pack cost the team the game. The Guittari-Loverde combo seemed to have the most trouble but Reunanen with several miscues and Skinner beat on the first goal allowing a breakaway. Up front, Ronning active but held off the score sheet. Barron pretty quiet. Gettinger continues to play well.
Thanks a lot ric. Has skinner been physical taking the body and such in the games you seen him? Or is he just playing positionally well yet unremarkable?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Yea he’s still very young and raw. I don’t think he tops out as much more then a 3rd pairing guy, but if all things go well for him I think he can be a great addition to the 3rd pair for pretty cheap. I wish they had him killing penalties but maybe next year. This year he’s just getting his feet wet.

I’m still not giving up on Huska as a viable back up goalie. This larger guys between the pipes generally it takes longer for their game to solidify. I’m hoping when and if it all clicks for him, he can be an excellent back up option. Was never a big fan of wall TbH

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad