Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Cincinnati Cyclones Thread: Part XV

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think you’re right. They’ll probably want a #6 guy who can kill penalties, to help spread the minutes out a bit.
Yeah I really wish Hajek showed better this year. What he theoretically brings would be a nice fit on the bottom pair. Same can be said for Rykov; shame it didn't work out with him.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Barron has the hockey smarts, his skating will get fixed much like Boyle and Hayes. He's likely a 3rd line player but with the depth this team has in the future who knows.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Yeah I really wish Hajek showed better this year. What he theoretically brings would be a nice fit on the bottom pair. Same can be said for Rykov; shame it didn't work out with him.

Hajek needs to be away from Smith. If you watch that pairing smith is all over the ice and Hajek is going around covering for him. There was one play last night where Smith literally followed Hajek into the corner, I have no idea how someone can be successful with someone so out of position and unpredictable.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hajek needs to be away from Smith. If you watch that pairing smith is all over the ice and Hajek is going around covering for him. There was one play last night where Smith literally followed Hajek into the corner, I have no idea how someone can be successful with someone so out of position and unpredictable.
I know some people see it this way, I see it the other way. I think Smith is the better player on the pair, which is also I believe borne out by the numbers.

The last time I saw Hajek look good in any environment was his first five games before he wrecked his shoulder. I think he sucked last year both in NY and Hartford and was apparently pretty mediocre in the Czech League this year.

I think he alternates between looking reasonably competent and like a guy who just isn't particularly good at any one thing.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010

I think Hajek has improved and made some good plays, i am not as down on his propects as some.
Robertson or Jones may bump him, and a vet LHD may replace Smith, but w a Expansion Draft protect slot open, he may be here in fall, and do ok, as 3rd pair or 7th/8th guy.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I know some people see it this way, I see it the other way. I think Smith is the better player on the pair, which is also I believe borne out by the numbers.

The last time I saw Hajek look good in any environment was his first five games before he wrecked his shoulder. I think he sucked last year both in NY and Hartford and was apparently pretty mediocre in the Czech League this year.

I think he alternates between looking reasonably competent and like a guy who just isn't particularly good at any one thing.
Yeah I don't see how people can think Smith is the problem between him and Hajek when Hajek looks like a middling AHLer every night, lmao.

Reactions: Number 9 and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think Hajek has improved and made some good plays, i am not as down on his propects as some.
Robertson or Jones may bump him, and a vet LHD may replace Smith, but w a Expansion Draft protect slot open, he may be here in fall, and do ok, as 3rd pair or 7th/8th guy.
I'm fine with Hajek as a 7/8. I just don't think he has shown enough to be a regular.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I think you’re right. They’ll probably want a #6 guy who can kill penalties, to help spread the minutes out a bit.

To add onto what's being said about Tarmo. The litmus test to be a #6 D for the big club is -- are we okay with him getting stuck out there with Sidney Crosby on the ice? If we're not, then is he providing enough offense to justify being a liability? To me, Tarmo fails this litmus test right now.

You can argue that Smith, Bitetto and Hajek fail too. But I would prefer the size of Smith/Hajek. I would like that bottom pair to eat minutes, provide some toughness, clear the front of the net, take some PK shifts. To that end, I actually like Bitetto even more.

So, really, I think Tarmo is better off being depended on in the AHL and developing a bit more defensively. Right now, where he's at in his development -- he's more of an offensive defenseman than a hybrid puck mover. But he's not an explosive offensive defenseman in the NHL that takes over games. He's a skilled D who sneakily gets points every game. Because of that, he really needs to transition his game to be more of a hybrid puck move who engages physically more in his own zone. Hopefully he's able to use his AHL time to develop that side of his game.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
completely agree with both gravey9 and nyr2k2 on tapping the brakes on Wolfpack players. There are some potential NHL players but they are not ready and would be better served by continuing o develop in Hartford rather than getting 8 minutes in NY even if there were room. And no one has showed that they can be a top six forward or top four defenseman in the NHL.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Thanks ric your write ups have been invaluable to those of us that are unable to watch certain prospects. Everyone in this thread really great job. Do you guys think Barron is more of a third or 4th line guy in the future?

I second that thanks Ric!

Reactions: Ranger Ric

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
This is not quite accurate.
Not drafted by Fla, not a prospect.
He's a AAA(A) vet minor league dMan
Cross is 31, drafted by Bruins in'07, 4 years at BC, long-time Prov Bruin('12>'18) who has bounced around last few years, Most recently signed by Fla in '19.

Panthers waived him a few weeks, back so they could send him down, and loaned him to Providence, as described above

Tommy Cross Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
not quite:

Cross is a Panthers player under contract to them.... there is no Florida AHL Affiliate since Charlotte opted out, cwede, that comes directly from the insiders within Providence's franchise, otherwise, Cross's hockey career is over and is also a first responder.

Reactions: egelband

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
not quite:
Cross is a Panthers player under contract to them.... there is no Florida AHL Affiliate since Charlotte opted out, cwede, that comes directly from the insiders within Providence's franchise, otherwise, Cross's hockey career is over and is also a first responder.
We are agreeing, what i wrote was 100% accurate,
Cross has NHL pact w Fla, was waived to allow assignment to AHL,and assigned to Prov

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
We are agreeing, what i wrote was 100% accurate,
Cross has NHL pact w Fla, was waived to allow assignment to AHL,and assigned to Prov
no, Cross was loaned to Providence due to no AHL Affiliation, since Florida is splitting Syracuse w/ Tampa, it's also why Springfield isn't active this season in the East Division, why the AHL insists on the archaic rule that every NHL team must have an active AHL Affiliation when you gave three independent ownerships the option of opting out, which Charlotte/Springfield/Milwaukee took that route

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
no, Cross was loaned to Providence due to no AHL Affiliation, since Florida is splitting Syracuse w/ Tampa, it's also why Springfield isn't active this season in the East Division, why the AHL insists on the archaic rule that every NHL team must have an active AHL Affiliation when you gave three independent ownerships the option of opting out, which Charlotte/Springfield/Milwaukee took that route
Thanks for your efforts. I am not getting the distinction you are trying to make, but i assume that's on me.
Teams can always assign players, who are assignment-eligible, to any team they choose, not just their affiliates.
NYR Prospect followers have seen that for so many years, guys like Kozak and Dowzak and Noreau placed w teams other than NYR's affiliates.
Like Elmer placed whereever he is.
Given that Maine is taking season off, most folks here do know that many minor affiliates are shut down.
Longtime Pack followers have seen Cross as an opponent for almost 10 seasons, usually as P-Bruin.
What motivared me to respond was a post stating Cross was a Panthers draft pick.
He wasn't that, and, at age 31, isnt what most might consider a prospect

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

To me, he profiles as exactly the kind of player another club should be looking to buy low on, hoping to unlock the potential he showed in an environment where he isn't facing such stiff competition.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
too many places to discuss this ...
really remarkable to project this -
today Wolfpack have 3 D-men playing on NYR NHL contracts -Reunanen, Crawley, Raddysh
(fyi Skinner on AHL deal this season)
NEXT season - they will very likely add Skinner, Schneider, Robertson, Jones and not impossible that Nils L plays come games down
NOW THAT'S A REBUILD!!!

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Bridgeport hosts the Pack. Wall starts in goal. The lineup remains the same except James Sanchez is out and replaced by Alex Whelan. Perhaps Khodorenko, who I thought had his best game of the year on Saturday, moves up to center the third line of Geertsen and Reuschhoff.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH and 28

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Scoreless after 1. Shots 8-5 Pack. Pack totally dominated first ten minutes doing everything but score. All the lines looked good. Gettinger playing better. Perhaps the faster level that Richards and Ronning are playing is forcing him to up his game. Reuschhoff playing center on the fourth line with Sanchez scratched. There was one play where Reuschhoff had the puck for 20 seconds in the offensive zone and Bridgeport couldn't stop him resulting in a good scoring chance. Cuylle active with Reuschhoff. Wall made the few stops he needed to. The Pack are clearly the better team. This one and the next two against Bridgeport..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->