Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Cincinnati Cyclones Thread: Part XV

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well deserved by both guys. Reunanen continues to fly under the radar.
Whose radar? This board was clamoring for him literally all year.

I think that he wasn't nearly as effective as his stat line suggests. He deserves the nod based on said production, but he's kind of weak and his defense is questionable even in the AHL. It's hard for me to see him sticking with this team, particularly that we're now evidently focused on being more difficult to play against.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Whose radar? This board was clamoring for him literally all year.

I think that he wasn't nearly as effective as his stat line suggests. He deserves the nod based on said production, but he's kind of weak and his defense is questionable even in the AHL. It's hard for me to see him sticking with this team, particularly that we're now evidently focused on being more difficult to play against.

He's there in the sense that people wanted relief from the agony of what they were seeing, but outside of that he's never been a kid that most Rangers fans, or even the board really spend a lot of time on.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He's there in the sense that people wanted relief from the agony of what they were seeing, but outside of that he's never been a kid that most Rangers fans, or even the board really spend a lot of time on.
That may be so. However, we ranked him right behind Barron and Jones in the last prospect poll, so I think people have a pretty good handle on what he is as a prospect.

I'm not sure how he would fit in long term. He's a good skater with good vision who moves the puck around pretty well. He'd be fine on PP2, but I feel like that's a role that's going to be tried with other guys first. He's not going to be any kind of shutdown player, as he's not strong, either individually in the corners or with the puck, and while he recovers well, he's not super sound positionally. He profiles to me as a guy who, to reach his ideal production levels, would get 10 minutes of ES TOI and 3-4 minutes on the PP, being matched against weaker lines when he's out there as if he's caught on ice against against the bigger, stronger, more skilled players in the league, he'd get killed.

There's just no room. Jones--who I think is significantly better at the things Tarmo himself is good at--is probably ahead of him, and Robertson will probably be in a year's time as well. Of course Miller and Lindgren are there. Even if you wanted him on the right, we know what that looks like with Trouba, Fox, presumably Lundkvist, and Schneider. That doesn't even include Hajek who the organization still seems to like, and whatever cheap veteran we bring in.

I just don't think, based on what I've seen out of him this year, that he's good enough at the things he's good at, to unseat any of our more heralded young players and prospects. Maybe he takes a big leap in year two, but barring that, I feel like his only path to the NHL is with another organization. Otherwise I think he ends up in the KHL or SHL.

Reactions: egelband

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
That may be so. However, we ranked him right behind Barron and Jones in the last prospect poll, so I think people have a pretty good handle on what he is as a prospect.

I'm not sure how he would fit in long term. He's a good skater with good vision who moves the puck around pretty well. He'd be fine on PP2, but I feel like that's a role that's going to be tried with other guys first. He's not going to be any kind of shutdown player, as he's not strong, either individually in the corners or with the puck, and while he recovers well, he's not super sound positionally. He profiles to me as a guy who, to reach his ideal production levels, would get 10 minutes of ES TOI and 3-4 minutes on the PP, being matched against weaker lines when he's out there as if he's caught on ice against against the bigger, stronger, more skilled players in the league, he'd get killed.

There's just no room. Jones--who I think is significantly better at the things Tarmo himself is good at--is probably ahead of him, and Robertson will probably be in a year's time as well. Of course Miller and Lindgren are there. Even if you wanted him on the right, we know what that looks like with Trouba, Fox, presumably Lundkvist, and Schneider. That doesn't even include Hajek who the organization still seems to like, and whatever cheap veteran we bring in.

I just don't think, based on what I've seen out of him this year, that he's good enough at the things he's good at, to unseat any of our more heralded young players and prospects. Maybe he takes a big leap in year two, but barring that, I feel like his only path to the NHL is with another organization. Otherwise I think he ends up in the KHL or SHL.

Exactly. H's not completely off, but somewhere in the B-range - outside the top 10, hidden behind the prospects people tend to talk more about, maybe even not talked about behind lower ranked prospects that people have liking for.

Just doing a quick comparison to some of his ranking peers, we've got 15 pages on Barron, 25 on Gauthier, 23 pages on Henriksson, a combined 37 pages on Jones, 10 pages combined on Cuylle, 6 pages on Berard, and 9 pages on Reunanen buried a few pages deep.

I agree his future is probably elsewhere, but that's somewhat separate from his value as a prospect.

Reactions: nyr2k2

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... There's just no room. Jones--who I think is significantly better at the things Tarmo himself is good at--is probably ahead of him, and Robertson will probably be in a year's time as well. Of course Miller and Lindgren are there. Even if you wanted him on the right, we know what that looks like with Trouba, Fox, presumably Lundkvist, and Schneider. That doesn't even include Hajek who the organization still seems to like, and whatever cheap veteran we bring in...

yes this near-term deep prospect pipeline on D will have some 'casualties',
this post doesn't even mention Skinner, who also has trended well through each of his seasons since Draft
Crazy, the new coach could choose to start with a more proven D,
Hartford could have a D corps of Schneider-Jones, Roberston-Lundkvist and Reunanen-Skinner for a few weeks/months...

lately I am wondering if K'Andre is the asset moved for a young-ish C,
deal sorta like Jones-Johansen - and hopefully for a genuinely young high-upside C -
when traded, RyJo was 23-1/2, Zib was 23-1/4

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Exactly. H's not completely off, but somewhere in the B-range - outside the top 10, hidden behind the prospects people tend to talk more about, maybe even not talked about behind lower ranked prospects that people have liking for.

Just doing a quick comparison to some of his ranking peers, we've got 15 pages on Barron, 25 on Gauthier, 23 pages on Henriksson, a combined 37 pages on Jones, 10 pages combined on Cuylle, 6 pages on Berard, and 9 pages on Reunanen buried a few pages deep.

I agree his future is probably elsewhere, but that's somewhat separate from his value as a prospect.
That's fair. People seem to acknowledge him as a solid prospect but not really discuss him much. I would guess playing in Liiga has something to do with that. Pajuniemi, who is the flashier of the two, only has four pages on his thread--and it's his draft thread. :laugh: I try to give updates when I can and we do have a few others who watch, but I think there's a lack of coverage of the Finns that leads directly to the lack of discussion here.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The playing of Jones over Reunanen late last season really cemented the notion to me that management just doesn't rate him.

He's the same age as Lindgren and Fox, so really it's time to trade the kid if he isn't in the plans. Maybe with his production this season we can get back into the second round of the draft for him this year.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
The playing of Jones over Reunanen late last season really cemented the notion to me that management just doesn't rate him.

He's the same age as Lindgren and Fox, so really it's time to trade the kid if he isn't in the plans. Maybe with his production this season we can get back into the second round of the draft for him this year.
I think that 2 of Tarmo, Hajek, Jones, and Robertson are gone in deals especially if we go and get that vet LD with presence

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I think that 2 of Tarmo, Hajek, Jones, and Robertson are gone in deals especially if we go and get that vet LD with presence
I think part of the reason jones was playing was they wanted to show case his talents for exactly that reason.
There is no way a rangers D will consist of fox, lundqvist, and Jones. And that’s not because they all very talented. I just think them all being similar in size and having similar skillsets just leads me to believe this current D core will only consist of maybe 2 of them.
Lindgren-Fox
Robertson/Miller/Jones-Trouba
Robertson/Jones/Miller-Lundkvist/Schneider
The bolded guys aren’t going anywhere for 3 years at least. I’m tempted to bold Schneider’s name as well because he is the most unique package of size and nasty with unknown offensive potential.

Last edited:

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I think part of the reason jones was playing was they wanted to show case his talents for exactly that reason.
There is no way a rangers D will consist of fox, lundqvist, and Jones. And that’s not because they all a rent very talented. I just think them all being similar in size and having similar skillsets just leads me to believe this current D core will only consist of maybe 2 of them.
Lindgren-Fox
Robertson/Miller/Jones-Trouba
Robertson/Jones/Miller-Lundkvist/Schneider
The bolded guys aren’t going anywhere for 3 years at least. I’m tempted to bold Schneider’s name as well because he is the most unique package of size and nasty with unknown offensive potential.
Genius minds think alike. Jones/Tarmo/Hajek most likely to go unless a bigger trade requires Robertson which I’m ok with. Don’t want Miller, Lundkvist, and Schneider to go anywhere. If we go out and get that vet LD and sign Smith cheaply for 7th there’s serious logjamming (big Lebowski!) at LD.

Reactions: jay from jersey

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

Ryan Graves 2.0. He will go to the Canucks or Stars or a team that will appreciate him and have a great career lol they should not have drafted him if they have no plans for him

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Ryan Graves 2.0. He will go to the Canucks or Stars or a team that will appreciate him and have a great career lol they should not have drafted him if they have no plans for him

I don't know. I see him more as a Raphael Diaz/Thomas Poeck/Andrew Hutchinson/Bobby Sanguinetti type. Small, soft PMD that is good enough to power play QB in the AHL but never becomes more than a #7 at the NHL level.

Maybe I'm wrong but I have him more in the Hunter Skinner tier of prospects than the Robertson/Jones tier.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
They drafted him five drafts ago, and then his D+1 and D+2 years he looked like a nothing. Before his D+3 when he took off they drafted Lundkvist and Miller, acquired Lindgren, and that same year they acquired Adam Fox and Jacob Trouba. Jones was picked in the third round and exploded immediately thereafter in 2019, and Hajek (though he's blah) was a guy they acquired after drafting Reunanen. Are you going to argue we should not have acquired these other guys because good-but-not-great PMD prospect took a big step forward in his D+3 season? Come on. This is exactly why you draft guys like Reunanen--you stock up on a position and hope that bunch of guys pan out and then you can pick and choose which ones you want to keep. It's why trading Keane for Gauthier was an easy thing to do, because of the depth. To say nothing of Robertson and Schneider.

When you draft a project like Reunanen you have no idea where he'll be in five years. If he's on your team, f***ing awesome. If he's a decent trade chip, also awesome.
I don't know. I see him more as a Raphael Diaz/Thomas Poeck/Andrew Hutchinson/Bobby Sanguinetti type. Small, soft PMD that is good enough to power play QB in the AHL but never becomes more than a #7 at the NHL level.

Maybe I'm wrong but I have him more in the Hunter Skinner tier of prospects than the Robertson/Jones tier.
This is right. I think he's more likely to be playing in Sweden or the KHL or back in Finland in two years than he's the "next Ryan Graves," which isn't even that impressive of a thing.

Reactions: Miamipuck and Fitzy

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
They drafted him five drafts ago, and then his D+1 and D+2 years he looked like a nothing. Before his D+3 when he took off they drafted Lundkvist and Miller, acquired Lindgren, and that same year they acquired Adam Fox and Jacob Trouba. Jones was picked in the third round and exploded immediately thereafter in 2019, and Hajek (though he's blah) was a guy they acquired after drafting Reunanen. Are you going to argue we should not have acquired these other guys because good-but-not-great PMD prospect took a big step forward in his D+3 season? Come on. This is exactly why you draft guys like Reunanen--you stock up on a position and hope that bunch of guys pan out and then you can pick and choose which ones you want to keep. It's why trading Keane for Gauthier was an easy thing to do, because of the depth. To say nothing of Robertson and Schneider.

When you draft a project like Reunanen you have no idea where he'll be in five years. If he's on your team, f***ing awesome. If he's a decent trade chip, also awesome.
This is right. I think he's more likely to be playing in Sweden or the KHL or back in Finland in two years than he's the "next Ryan Graves," which isn't even that impressive of a thing.
Meh maybe he carves out a career with some team as a bottom pair PMD like MA Bergeron was. I’m with all of you guys. If he does make it, it likely won’t be with the rangers.
We have bigger players with more tantalizing talents that have already past him on the depth chart the do the things he does but play a more well rounded game. Good for him for improving himself though. I hope he’s part of a trade that brings this team a solid return

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Meh maybe he carves out a career with some team as a bottom pair PMD like MA Bergeron was. I’m with all of you guys. If he does make it, it likely won’t be with the rangers.
We have bigger players with more tantalizing talents that have already past him on the depth chart the do the things he does but play a more well rounded game. Good for him for improving himself though. I hope he’s part of a trade that brings this team a solid return
For sure, guy could become any number of good things. I just thought the idea of "why did we draft him (five years ago) if we had no plan for him" to be absurd. That's like complaining that we had no plan for Pajuniemi because, oh shit, we ended up with Lafreniere and Kakko, Buch became really good, Barron became a good prospect, Kravtsov panned out, etc. It's just...bizarre.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Not every draft pick needs to play for the parent club. Things change. These guys are assets for the team, not puzzle pieces. Not to mention, these guys have their own careers in mind too.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn

I’ve watched Jones at the world championships, he’s really good on the offensive side of the puck. If he can get stronger to handle the defensive side, then you have a player. If not, maybe he can move up to wing and apply his strengths offensively.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I’ve watched Jones at the world championships, he’s really good on the offensive side of the puck. If he can get stronger to handle the defensive side, then you have a player. If not, maybe he can move up to wing and apply his strengths offensively.
Brendon Smith style ;)

Reactions: wafflepadsave

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

Very curious, my understanding was Maine had been joint 'AA' affiliate of Flyers and NYR

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Very curious, my understanding was Maine had been joint 'AA' affiliate of Flyers and NYR

I believe Philly is still Reading.

Boston has been Gwinnett, so Maine would be great for them with Providence in the AHL. I thought the affiliation agreement with New York and Maine was still good for this year, though, so who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad