Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Cincinnati Cyclones Thread: Part XV

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Gettinger with a power play rebound in OT to win it for the Pack with Barron and Reunanen getting the assists.

Other than the rebound goal Wall looked good.

Reactions: Number 9 and Fitzy

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Pack had 4-3 PP in OT Barron and Reunanen passing the puck back and forth on the outside with Barron finally shooting and Gettinger getting the rebound. Stars were 1. Gettinger, 2. Reunanen 3. Timashov. I would have had Barron in that group. He was much more engaged today and made several good plays. Reunanen with 6 shots on goal and REuschhoff with 4 including several good chances.

Interesting that Hartford is 4 points behind Providence with 3 games to go and and two games left between them, which is similar to Rangers 4 behind the Bruins with 2 games left between them.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I think I saw this post after the game started yesterday and I wanted to respond and largely agree with you. There have been several personnel decisions that made little sense to me if your goal is to develop your younger players.

So they scratch Ty Ronning for the first 3 games. But then he plays the next 2 and is the best player in one game and one of the best in the next and he then gets scratched for 3 more games. I could understand an argument that they didn't have much of a camp and didn't think much of Ronning coming into camp so you start out scratching him. But anyone watching the first two games he played would have seen he was deserving of more time. While I am surprised about how well Ronning has played this year I am not surprised after seeing the first two games that he would be one of the team's better players and he should not have been scratched for the second set of 3 games..

If I remember correctly Cuylle was being scratched when Knobloch was called up to coach the Rangers and the replacements put him in. The Rangers thought highly enough of Cuylle after seeing him this year to give him a contract. So why is he still being scratched for Mike O'Leary?

In one of those games the Pack had Sanchez centering Cuylle and Reuschhoff. Those guys kept the opposition pinned in below the boards every time they were able to get the puck down low. So they broke up the line and started scratching Sanchez?

I have been impressed with Austin Reuschhoff. And over the last half year he finally is getting power play time on PP2, which has been the more effective of the power play units. But Reuschhoff is consistently playing 3rd and 4th line and he often is paired with Mason Geertsen, which is like putting an anchor on the line. Maybe Reuschhoff won't be as good as I think he might but he needs to be given an opportunity to play with better players. Sometimes I think they are trying to sabotage him.

At the same time, the team has left Patrick Newell on the first line and often has Anthony Greco on that line. Neither of these guys is likely to see an NHL uniform except in a team store.

I have provided a number of examples but I have not been happy with some of the personnel moves Knoubloch has made this year and they support the comment made by RangersFan1994.

that is a Quinn/AV type of move a player with no future is in (GLASS, BLACKWELL )for someone who can be part of the future (Buchnevich, Gauthier)

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Tarmo is a good to very good offensive defensemen. That's why he is out there. But he has not played one second of PK the entire year. That might suggest something. I wouldn't say he is horrible defensively but he is not physical and can have trouble with bigger players down low and he has made a couple of obvious bad reads over the year. Some games he is fine and others there are some hiccups. I still think he is a bottom pairing NHL defenseman. But I don't see him beating out Miller, Lindgren, Jones and possibly Robertson (whom I have not seen play in a game) and I like Hajek more because Hajek is better defensively.

I would welcome the others guys who have watched Hartford to weigh in and let me know if you disagree.

How is Tarmo on D (NZ and DZ)?

What does he do well defensively and what really needs work?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Tarmo is a good to very good offensive defensemen. That's why he is out there. But he has not played one second of PK the entire year. That might suggest something. I wouldn't say he is horrible defensively but he is not physical and can have trouble with bigger players down low and he has made a couple of obvious bad reads over the year. Some games he is fine and others there are some hiccups. I still think he is a bottom pairing NHL defenseman. But I don't see him beating out Miller, Lindgren, Jones and possibly Robertson (whom I have not seen play in a game) and I like Hajek more because Hajek is better defensively.

I would welcome the others guys who have watched Hartford to weigh in and let me know if you disagree.
I agree, he's a slick passer, he can transport the puck with his skating ability. He's confident with the puck on his stick.

He's does get pushed around, and I swear there have been times where I've seen him defending the high point with a forward playing alongside his partner down low because he gets dragged so far out of position. He'll chase the play.

I don't know that he does anything unique or better than what the Rangers already have. Like, his offensive game is not better than Fox, it probably won't be better than Lundkvist, I don't even think it's better than what Jones would bring (though jury is out on that one). He's not better defensively than anyone currently on the roster, and then you also have Schneider and Robertson coming who are better two-way guys. What's his role? Where does he fit? I don't think he really fits in our organization based on what we have now and what we have coming. Seems like a trade candidate.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I still don't get Geertsen. He's a great teammate, yes, and one of the toughest dudes around. But he's a mediocre defenseman and not effective as a forward. Seems like we probably could have retained him on an AHL deal.
The more I’m reading about this kid the more I like. I’m gonna have to get the damn AHL package

Reactions: Ola and Ranger Ric

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The more I’m reading about this kid the more I like. I’m gonna have to get the damn AHL package
Geertsen? He's a tough player, but basically just an AHL-caliber tough guy. He's also 26, so it's not like there's really any projection left. If he gets a call-up if would only be because we're playing a game where we're expecting the opponent to want to have several fights. Otherwise, he's not capable of playing in the NHL. He's a bigger, worse Tanner Glass.

Reactions: Ola and Ranger Ric

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Geertsen? He's a tough player, but basically just an AHL-caliber tough guy. He's also 26, so it's not like there's really any projection left. If he gets a call-up if would only be because we're playing a game where we're expecting the opponent to want to have several fights. Otherwise, he's not capable of playing in the NHL. He's a bigger, worse Tanner Glass.
throwback to a Shawn Thornton type, but you've now got to have a bit of offensive ability in this era

Reactions: nyr2k2

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I’ll never forget when Geertsen had the mother of all horrible preseason games against New Jersey last year and he was never seen again.

Good on the team for rewarding him with an NHL contract for being a good soldier, but hopefully he’s kept far away from this team.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I agree, he's a slick passer, he can transport the puck with his skating ability. He's confident with the puck on his stick.

He's does get pushed around, and I swear there have been times where I've seen him defending the high point with a forward playing alongside his partner down low because he gets dragged so far out of position. He'll chase the play.
So he's Norman Mailer 2.0

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
No Rueschoff (sp) ?? I hit reply to wrong post again rushing around.
Hey guys has skinner been physical throwing the body around??? Or just positionally sound and playing a quiet game?

Reactions: Ola

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
No Ruessoff (sp) ??
Oh, Rueschhoff, yeah. He's big, understands how to use his body to his advantage in corners and behind the net, and has a bit of skill. His skating is adequate, though we'll see how it hold up against NHL players.

I wouldn't really say he's mean, or a guy who goes out of his way to crush other guys. I think he's a bigger, slightly more physically-inclined Tim Gettinger.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Oh, Rueschhoff, yeah. He's big, understands how to use his body to his advantage in corners and behind the net, and has a bit of skill. His skating is adequate, though we'll see how it hold up against NHL players.

I wouldn't really say he's mean, or a guy who goes out of his way to crush other guys. I think he's a bigger, slightly more physically-inclined Tim Gettinger.
Thanks for the input broski. Every time I read a game review it seems he stands out for doing something good, or that the big club is lacking

Last edited:
Reactions: Ola and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That’s for the input broski. Every time I read a game review it seems he stands out for doing something good, or that the big club is lacking
Yeah no problem. He has been a really pleasant surprise. Coming in, we had three college UDFAs, and I ranked them accordingly: Richards, Khodorenko, Rueschhoff. Some others had 1 and 2 switched but the general consensus was that Rueschhoff was a bit of a distant third behind the two others. While I do really like Richards because of his simple game and defensive acumen, Rueschhoff really came out of nowhere; you're right in that pretty much every game he's doing something, even if it's just parking himself in front of the net and creating chaos. What he has done has been very impressive, IMO. I didn't think he was much of an NHL prospect, and while his upside is limited, he's definitely on the radar as a guy with an actual chance, which I wasn't sure he'd be.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
it's official no AHL playoffs

AHL announces plans for 2021 playoffs, 21-22 calendar
"American Hockey League President and Chief Executive Officer Scott Howson today announced that due to league COVID-19 protocols, the AHL will not be able to conduct traditional Calder Cup Playoffs in 2021."
"In the Atlantic Division, the team finishing in first place during the regular season (ranked by points percentage) will be awarded the Emile Francis Trophy as division champions; the Francis Trophy has been presented to an AHL division champion annually since 2001-02."

Reactions: egelband

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Providence is 5 points ahead of the Pack with 3 games to go. Providence and the Pack play 2 times with each playing Bridgeport once. So the Pack would have to defeat Providence in both games and then beat Bridgeport because the have 3 less RW wins than Providence and Providence would have to lose or tie to Bridgeport. But Providence played an extra game against Utica so if the Pack run the table it comes down to points percentage with Providence playing 25 games and Hartford playing 24.

Don't we want the Emile Francis Trophy. I mean it's Emile Francis.

it's official no AHL playoffs

AHL announces plans for 2021 playoffs, 21-22 calendar
"American Hockey League President and Chief Executive Officer Scott Howson today announced that due to league COVID-19 protocols, the AHL will not be able to conduct traditional Calder Cup Playoffs in 2021."
"In the Atlantic Division, the team finishing in first place during the regular season (ranked by points percentage) will be awarded the Emile Francis Trophy as division champions; the Francis Trophy has been presented to an AHL division champion annually since 2001-02."

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I concur and what is interesting is that he has a skill set because of his size and the way he uses his body that the Rangers don't have much of. I just wish the coaches had used him more productively rather than linking him to Geertsen.

Yeah no problem. He has been a really pleasant surprise. Coming in, we had three college UDFAs, and I ranked them accordingly: Richards, Khodorenko, Rueschhoff. Some others had 1 and 2 switched but the general consensus was that Rueschhoff was a bit of a distant third behind the two others. While I do really like Richards because of his simple game and defensive acumen, Rueschhoff really came out of nowhere; you're right in that pretty much every game he's doing something, even if it's just parking himself in front of the net and creating chaos. What he has done has been very impressive, IMO. I didn't think he was much of an NHL prospect, and while his upside is limited, he's definitely on the radar as a guy with an actual chance, which I wasn't sure he'd be.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad