Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Maine Mariners Thread: Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
The higher end prospects will find somewhere to play, even if it has to be in Europe. The NHL teams and their agents are going to allow them to sit out that long. Loan agreements are going to be made and guys will suit up in the Swiss league, SHL, LIIGA, DEL, etc.

Might go the same way for the higher end CHL players as well. Canada is in much better shape than the US, but if they cannot get testing in a good spot for these kids and staff, it's going to be tough for them to get going. I wonder if you'll see some of the 19-20 year old players that are on the fringe of making an NHL roster, but are high end CHL players look to make this move, if they can. Anyone know how this works?

I have to think this is a big reason why Nils and Lias Andersson stayed in Europe. Those seasons are likely to at least begin. If there is another wave, they'll probably have testing in place. If the AHL is not going to happen or is delayed, I'd expect Kravtsov back in the KHL again, Rykov too. Reunanen will stay in LIIGA.

CHL players are usually under contract for 3 seasons starting at 16, so unless a European team is going to pay the transfer fee that clubs usually get from the NHL for drafted players, I don’t see that happening.

Lafreniere might be an exception, as he’s been destined to play pro at 18 and he’s already played 3 seasons in the Q.

The number of players that could slot into a top level men’s side is as comparable as them jumping straight into the NHL. You could drop them into Allsvenskan or 2nd tier leagues

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Again though the AHL is dependent on gates (fans in the seats, concessions, merchandise sales) to make money. There is no big TV contract and no lucrative sponsorship deals. For the AHL teams to make any money they really need fans in arenas. Otherwise it's probably best from a financial perspective for them to just not play.

Yeah, the AHL simply can't afford to play under the type of conditions the NHL will be playing under in the return to play. If the AHL season doesn't start alongside the next NHL season, I could see the NHL allowing teams to have a designated number of players who practice with the team, but don't count against the cap. They would all have to be players making 1.075 mil or less (or 1.125 mil or less once the minimum goes up to 750k). If the players actually play in a game, it would be treated like a call up.

Reactions: Joey Bones

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hmm obvi Jones, Dmowski (among rookie AHL deal Fs who finished season in Pack org) contributed more regularly to Pack...
Yeah McBride wasn't horrible but I would definitely prefer Dmowski.

Jones, IDK what he'll do.

I wonder what's going to happen with these guys. Do they sign on for next AHL/ECHL season not knowing when or if it will be played, or do they head to some of the lesser European leagues?

Reactions: egelband

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Not sure McBride signing an ahl deal impacts anyone else and hopefully Jonesboro gets a deal with the rangers

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
but why not surround them with legit AHL vets that can help them instead of some scrubs nobodies like this guy?
There is a really good chance that a lot of the top-level AHL vets end up going to Europe for a year. It's unclear if and when the AHL will play this year and a lot of guys are supposedly looking for opportunities abroad.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
There is a really good chance that a lot of the top-level AHL vets end up going to Europe for a year. It's unclear if and when the AHL will play this year and a lot of guys are supposedly looking for opportunities abroad.

Yeah. If you are an AHL vet,would you prefer to play in Sweden, Finland, Switzerland for a year or sign in the AHL with the possibility of not getting paid at all with the season not even confirmed yet? Easy decision for me

Reactions: charliemurphy

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Why? How does this re-signing help develop our prospects in AHL?

these guys are just roster depth,
as seen last year, they did not substantially block anyone, (... Elmer? Gropp?)
McBride was in Norfolk mostly, Dmowski and LZG had stretches in Maine.
and with the Lias and Krav exits, the Fontaine injury, plenty of F icetime to spread around
next year there wont be all of PDG, Beleskey, Nieves, Fogarty, Lettieri, ORegan

i dunno, to me, the 14th F on the minor league affiliate doesn't merit too much heat .....

and i am not even gonna speculate about how an AHL season might, or might not, even happen, or be changed in extreme ways

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
and with the Lias and Krav exits, the Fontaine injury, plenty of F icetime to spread around

i dunno, to me, the 14th F on the minor league affiliate doesn't merit too much heat .....

and i am not even gonna speculate about how an AHL season might, or might not, even happen, or be changed in extreme ways

Some people think the best way to develop talent is to just have 20 prospects on a team in the AHL, apparently

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
SO are the AHL guys going to be loaned or like baseball they will just practice

Why can’t the league survive ? Financial due to no fans ?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
SO are the AHL guys going to be loaned or like baseball they will just practice

Why can’t the league survive ? Financial due to no fans ?
No one has said anything yet about the AHL, but we've discussed it some here.

We don't know if or when they'll have a season. The AHL, like minor league baseball, is very highly reliant on gates (people coming to the game and buying things) to generate revenue, since they don't have a lucrative TV contract and the sponsorship deals are small and many will likely be voided with no fans present. So the likelihood of being able to play, is very small, if you ask me. Less than two-thirds of the teams are owned by their NHL franchises, who are already facing their own operating shortfalls, and probably don't want to lose more money operating an AHL team. The independently-owned AHL teams are in trouble.

Beyond that, the NHL is using the whole "bubble" model. That's obviously not going to work for AHL teams as it's another added expense and you'd have to do it for all franchises all season, or until things truly opened back up. So, that's another major impediment.

There are the "4A" players--guys who are really good AHL players but not quite NHL regulars--who are probably going to look for opportunities in Europe, given the uncertainty of if/when the AHL season will start. I posted the other day that Danny O'Regan, when he's done with the Rangers this postseason, is rumored to be signing in Germany. Lots of guys will do that (for as many spots as there are for North American players in the European leagues). Many guys can't just wait around and then lose an entire year of income if the AHL in canceled.

At the same time, you're going to have guys under NHL contract--for us, think guys like maybe a Gettinger, Elmer, Ronning, the three college guys we signed, maybe K'Andre Miller, etc., that will need a place to play. They could theoretically be loaned out, but if we do that it makes it very difficult to bring them back into the mix if we needed them. The NHL could expand rosters, or allow a permanent taxi squad of 6-10 guys, but that would be tough still as those guys aren't actually playing when for their development, they need to be playing more than anything.

It's also going to be interesting to see how the European assignment clauses work. Usually, they are written so that if a player isn't on the NHL roster by Date X, or after X games, he can exercise the clause. How will that work if the NHL season start a couple months late? Like, if Rykov's EAC kicks in if he's not on the roster after ten games, and we're not ten games in until December, will he have to wait until that point to exercise it? At that point the KHL has played a couple dozen games, and most of the other leagues have as well. Or, if his clause kicks in if he's not on the roster by October 15--does that date get pushed back, or is it honored?

There are a ton of things still up in the air with the AHL in general and the players specifically. It will be really interesting to see how they work it all out. Lots of guys will be looking for places to play hockey and quite honestly, there probably aren't enough spots in the high-level European leagues for the North American guys that will be looking for work. I feel like a lot of guys are just going to sit out.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
No one has said anything yet about the AHL, but we've discussed it some here.

We don't know if or when they'll have a season. The AHL, like minor league baseball, is very highly reliant on gates (people coming to the game and buying things) to generate revenue, since they don't have a lucrative TV contract and the sponsorship deals are small and many will likely be voided with no fans present. So the likelihood of being able to play, is very small, if you ask me. Less than two-thirds of the teams are owned by their NHL franchises, who are already facing their own operating shortfalls, and probably don't want to lose more money operating an AHL team. The independently-owned AHL teams are in trouble.

Beyond that, the NHL is using the whole "bubble" model. That's obviously not going to work for AHL teams as it's another added expense and you'd have to do it for all franchises all season, or until things truly opened back up. So, that's another major impediment.

There are the "4A" players--guys who are really good AHL players but not quite NHL regulars--who are probably going to look for opportunities in Europe, given the uncertainty of if/when the AHL season will start. I posted the other day that Danny O'Regan, when he's done with the Rangers this postseason, is rumored to be signing in Germany. Lots of guys will do that (for as many spots as there are for North American players in the European leagues). Many guys can't just wait around and then lose an entire year of income if the AHL in canceled.

At the same time, you're going to have guys under NHL contract--for us, think guys like maybe a Gettinger, Elmer, Ronning, the three college guys we signed, maybe K'Andre Miller, etc., that will need a place to play. They could theoretically be loaned out, but if we do that it makes it very difficult to bring them back into the mix if we needed them. The NHL could expand rosters, or allow a permanent taxi squad of 6-10 guys, but that would be tough still as those guys aren't actually playing when for their development, they need to be playing more than anything.

It's also going to be interesting to see how the European assignment clauses work. Usually, they are written so that if a player isn't on the NHL roster by Date X, or after X games, he can exercise the clause. How will that work if the NHL season start a couple months late? Like, if Rykov's EAC kicks in if he's not on the roster after ten games, and we're not ten games in until December, will he have to wait until that point to exercise it? At that point the KHL has played a couple dozen games, and most of the other leagues have as well. Or, if his clause kicks in if he's not on the roster by October 15--does that date get pushed back, or is it honored?

There are a ton of things still up in the air with the AHL in general and the players specifically. It will be really interesting to see how they work it all out. Lots of guys will be looking for places to play hockey and quite honestly, there probably aren't enough spots in the high-level European leagues for the North American guys that will be looking for work. I feel like a lot of guys are just going to sit out.
it's also extends to Maine, folks, also.....

Reactions: nyr2k2

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

I want roster depth to be grizzly AHL vets like Gernander, Brad Smyth, Newbury, Cole Schneider(why did they get rid of him?). I don't want useless players like McBride who couldn't score a single goal in ECHL. I don't know why they like O'Reagan he is not a big scorer and he is soft.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
I want roster depth to be grizzly AHL vets like Gernander, Brad Smyth, Newbury, Cole Schneider(why did they get rid of him?). I don't want useless players like McBride who couldn't score a single goal in ECHL. I don't know why they like O'Reagan he is not a big scorer and he is soft.

Mentioning Cole Schneider (he was f awful!) in the same sentence with Kris Newbury, Kenny G and Shooter Smyth is borderline blasphemy...

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
O'Regan is supposedly signing in Germany. And that's the thing--a lot of the better fringe players will probably sign in Europe since there's no certainty of an AHL season in the Fall.

McBride sucks but every AHL team has guys like him under contract to come up and play in your bottom six when other guys are injured or guys get the call to the NHL. He's filler. His signing will have basically no bearing whatsoever on what happens in Hartford next season (if/when) and any suggestions that it's emblematic of a larger issue is misguided, IMO.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
How was he awful? But whatever, you still get the point I was making, right?

We was just .... a waste of a vet roster space. Let's leave it at that.

We are totally on the same page on the vets though... 3-4 AHL superstar players (4A+), give em $200K and let them lead the way. That little $ spent on them to create a winning atmosphere for prospects outweighs the actual money.

Every AHL team needs the Dmowskis and McBrides... 4th liners, PK, and yes... the AHL is still a rough place, of course not the good ol' days... but still gotta protect and have muscle. An AHL 4th line is very different to an NHL's 4th line.

I followed the Pack in 2000... that team only had one purpose, the calder cup... if any prospects developed from that team, great, if not... they didnt care. Mile Harder... Johan Witehall... Dale Purinton... Terry Virtue... *gushing*

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
We was just .... a waste of a vet roster space. Let's leave it at that.

We are totally on the same page on the vets though... 3-4 AHL superstar players (4A+), give em $200K and let them lead the way. That little $ spent on them to create a winning atmosphere for prospects outweighs the actual money.

Every AHL team needs the Dmowskis and McBrides... 4th liners, PK, and yes... the AHL is still a rough place, of course not the good ol' days... but still gotta protect and have muscle. An AHL 4th line is very different to an NHL's 4th line.

I followed the Pack in 2000... that team only had one purpose, the calder cup... if any prospects developed from that team, great, if not... they didnt care. Mile Harder... Johan Witehall... Dale Purinton... Terry Virtue... *gushing*
Yeah you gotta find the balance. Put together a winner that has a mix of veterans and also prospects playing important roles.

I said going into last season and even once the season started that they desperately needed to sign one (or more) high-end offensive players. They were too thin up front. And that proved true as the season wore on and guys were recalled, injured, Andersson shit his pants and went home, etc. They really needed another 4A guy or two. Like Fogarty and Lettieri are both very good AHL players, but they needed a Peter Holland or Chris Bourque to carry the load. O'Regan is good but he's not really a catalyst.

Reactions: Osminator

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
O'Regan is supposedly signing in Germany. And that's the thing--a lot of the better fringe players will probably sign in Europe since there's no certainty of an AHL season in the Fall.

McBride sucks but every AHL team has guys like him under contract to come up and play in your bottom six when other guys are injured or guys get the call to the NHL. He's filler. His signing will have basically no bearing whatsoever on what happens in Hartford next season (if/when) and any suggestions that it's emblematic of a larger issue is misguided, IMO.
OReagan was actually born in Berlin so he doesn’t count against a foreigner quota

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad