Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Maine Mariners Thread: Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Several questions asked about Ronning. I agree with GagLine that he is not going to get called up this year. Particularly given the glut of forwards on the Rangers.

I think the question about him is whether the Rangers were going to qualify him at the end of his contract this year. At the beginning of the year the answer was clearly no. But now I think he has passed the other 3 RFA forwards, Fontaine, who always is injured, Gettinger, whose only attribute is that he is big but then doesn't use his size, and Newell who is OK but not much more and already is 25. It's not just Ronning's points. He is very visible in every game in a positive way.

My opinion on Reunanen has dropped a little over the season but I would ignore the +/- rating. In most of the games the Wolfpack lost, the team pulled the goalie and then gave up an empty net goal. Reunanen is always on in this situation. It's possible the Pack have given up 4-5 empty net goals that would make a big change in his +/- rating. And Wall had a rough first couple of games letting in some goals I think he would want back that added to the - for players on the ice. But Reunanen doesn't play any PK that may suggest the coaches don't trust him and he has made some defensive mistakes. If he makes the Rangers it is not going to be that he is a dominant defensive player.

Huska has won 3 straight. The team has played much better the last three games leading to fewer quality opportunities and Huska has not let in any easy goals. So I would expect Huska again on Wednesday. After that the Pack have 3 games in a week so Wall might get another chance.

There has been no information on Cuylle. It would be a mistake if he has been a healthy scratch.

Reunanen is interesting because he seems like a less explosive version of Tony DeAngelo. He's pretty good in the offensive zone, decent vision, solid passer, def makes the best outlets of anyone else on that roster, he's able to get his shot through from the point and he can beat goalies from the blue line. His skating is above average, but not explosive.

The issue with Reunanen is he's not particular big. He seems slightly taller than TDA. And in his own zone, he's often not that physically assertive. Like I can't seem to remember him clearing an opponent from the crease. I've seen him appear tentative in his own zone a few times when he's not covering the man with the puck. If he can focus on his play away from the puck in his own zone, I think he could be a bottom pairing D that plays a regular shift.

But I think there's legit work ahead for him to do that. The talent is there though.

My best guess for Reunanen -- he either ends up with a team like BUF who might force him into the lineup and develop him in the NHL. Or he'll be one of those guys that doesn't make it to the NHL until he's like 25-6 years old. And I don't know if he'd stay in the North American minor league system long enough. I am rooting for him as he's one of a few players that makes the HFD games watchable.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Several questions asked about Ronning. I agree with GagLine that he is not going to get called up this year. Particularly given the glut of forwards on the Rangers.

I think the question about him is whether the Rangers were going to qualify him at the end of his contract this year. At the beginning of the year the answer was clearly no. But now I think he has passed the other 3 RFA forwards, Fontaine, who always is injured, Gettinger, whose only attribute is that he is big but then doesn't use his size, and Newell who is OK but not much more and already is 25. It's not just Ronning's points. He is very visible in every game in a positive way.

My opinion on Reunanen has dropped a little over the season but I would ignore the +/- rating. In most of the games the Wolfpack lost, the team pulled the goalie and then gave up an empty net goal. Reunanen is always on in this situation. It's possible the Pack have given up 4-5 empty net goals that would make a big change in his +/- rating. And Wall had a rough first couple of games letting in some goals I think he would want back that added to the - for players on the ice. But Reunanen doesn't play any PK that may suggest the coaches don't trust him and he has made some defensive mistakes. If he makes the Rangers it is not going to be that he is a dominant defensive player.

Huska has won 3 straight. The team has played much better the last three games leading to fewer quality opportunities and Huska has not let in any easy goals. So I would expect Huska again on Wednesday. After that the Pack have 3 games in a week so Wall might get another chance.

There has been no information on Cuylle. It would be a mistake if he has been a healthy scratch.

As for Ronning. I'm with Ranger Ric on this one. I'm really happy to see Ronning figure it out at the AHL. He's definitely been one of the most effective forwards on the roster. The sample size of this new effectiveness is super limited. But given how mediocre the pack roster is this year, I would def try to retain him this off-season. I give Ronning a TON of credit. He's legit developing in pro leagues. He's shown a ton of character the last year and a half.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Want to second @Brooklyn Rangers Fan sentiment - you guys rock with the updates you provide and the thread has a very distinct calm tone to it which is a great plus too!

Well I was very surprised to read “defensively responsible “ description re. Ronning. Maybe something clicked because he wasn’t that in juniors nor prior to this season in the AHL.

Re. Reunanen - we’ve seen on a number of occasions and recently too, that a defenseman might look not particularly good in Hartford and then join the varsity to look very impressive.

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Good report ranger ric. Glad to hear about Barron Ronning and huska. I think skinner will shine there as well. Benoit Allare always raves about huska. I’m glad he’s getting his game together because he could potentially be a very good back up in the mold of Ben bishop. Bigger goalies seem to take more time to refine their game such as dubnyk, bishop, valley, etc. Hope it works out for huska

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
gravel, I think your phrase "less explosive version of Tony D," is exactly correct and says more effectively what I was trying to say about his offense. You've outlined the offensive skills. I had been focused on the "less explosive" concept. He's not carrying the puck into the zone as Tony would do. He's either passing to someone else or dumping it in. I don't remember his shot every getting blocked but he only has 16 shots on goal in 13 games. Tony D. would be shooting more. In the regional semi final U Mass played Zac Jones did a spin aroma at the point to get by his man and skate towards the net setting up an opportunity. I've never seen that with Reunanen. So I think your statement about his offense hits the mark.

I also would like your thought about his skating. He always seems very measured but I am not sure he can up the tempo in his skating down the ice when needed. Two games ago Bridgeport was coming in 2-2 and the player coming down the other side dumped the puck into the corner on Reunanen's side. The Bridgeport player on his not only beat Reunanen to the puck but beat him so badly that he was able to walk in alone and score. It's only one play. Perhaps he stumbled or thought he had more help. But I was surprised with the trouble he had getting back. I'll be watching to see if he shows any explosiveness in his skating.

Finally, I also concur with your bottom pair projection. But when I look at the Rangers who currently are playing three young left handed defensemen and have Robertson and Jones coming it's hare to see what his future is with the Rangers. This is not to criticize him as much as to say I see too many others ahead of him. So I think you are right that he makes the NHL by being traded to another team. I don't see him wanting to spend another year in Hartford.

Reunanen is interesting because he seems like a less explosive version of Tony DeAngelo. He's pretty good in the offensive zone, decent vision, solid passer, def makes the best outlets of anyone else on that roster, he's able to get his shot through from the point and he can beat goalies from the blue line. His skating is above average, but not explosive.

The issue with Reunanen is he's not particular big. He seems slightly taller than TDA. And in his own zone, he's often not that physically assertive. Like I can't seem to remember him clearing an opponent from the crease. I've seen him appear tentative in his own zone a few times when he's not covering the man with the puck. If he can focus on his play away from the puck in his own zone, I think he could be a bottom pairing D that plays a regular shift.

But I think there's legit work ahead for him to do that. The talent is there though.

My best guess for Reunanen -- he either ends up with a team like BUF who might force him into the lineup and develop him in the NHL. Or he'll be one of those guys that doesn't make it to the NHL until he's like 25-6 years old. And I don't know if he'd stay in the North American minor league system long enough. I am rooting for him as he's one of a few players that makes the HFD games watchable.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I get less enthusiastic about Reunanen each game. I don't see the high-end offense I wanted to see. The defense is nothing to write home about. I mean I think he can play in the NHL but he doesn't look like a difference-maker.

Yet another reason why I'm down on Liiga in general.

Reactions: Number 9

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Remember when it seemed the 1st shots on Henrik would always seem to find the back of the net his last couple of years with the NYRs?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Let’s recall that when DeAngelo was down there his offensive game didn’t explode either. The coaches try to work with players on their deficiencies to make them better NHL players. It’s possible they’re doing the same with Reunanen

Reactions: haveandare

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I just don't see any space for barron on the Rangers anytime soon.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I get less enthusiastic about Reunanen each game. I don't see the high-end offense I wanted to see. The defense is nothing to write home about. I mean I think he can play in the NHL but he doesn't look like a difference-maker.

Yet another reason why I'm down on Liiga in general.

Normally I'd say bully for a 4th round pick, but with so many other good defensive prospects that might make him a target for a B level D for Forward swap.

If NYR saw the writing on the wall for Joey Keane I could see the same kind of decision.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Normally I'd say bully for a 4th round pick, but with so many other good defensive prospects that might make him a target for a B level D for Forward swap.

If NYR saw the writing on the wall for Joey Keane I could see the same kind of decision.
Yeah I think that would be a good move. Good asset management. Even if you were to take out Hajek who isn't very good, and out on Reunanen, that's a very short term solution and as soon as next season Reunanen will have significantly better prospects nipping at his heels.

Reactions: Fitzy

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I just don't see any space for barron on the Rangers anytime soon.

His play is going to force his way on to the team. I believe this is why he was playing center the other day. If he can handle that role at a pro level, he's going to be on the roster sooner rather than later. It adds pressure to Chytil to produce and be a good player. It could allow some flexibility when it comes to dealing with Strome when his contract is up. Howden is obviously not a long term piece and Rooney is playing his role well, but he's a guy you don't mind being a 13th forward.

Also, his style of play can be useful in a 4th line role. We're not talking about a player that is only an offensive player. He's physical and uses his size. If Colin Blackwell was not producing and playing well, Barron very well could have been on the roster right now. There is PK potential in his game. I believe he will find a role on the team and expand on it once he gets up. He's the type of player Quinn thinks Howden is, but actually good.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
answers for curious guys like me
may mean that Fontaine NYR tenure is over, hasn't much earned another QO

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
No score after 1. Shots 7-1 Pack even with Bridgeport having two power plays. Cuylle gets into a fight and gets an extra 2 but the camera missed most of the action so I couldn't tell what happened. Pack had two good shorthanded chances on the first power play. Reunanen gets delay of game. He was close to the blue line and refs ruled he hadn't crossed it. Bridgeport has generated nothing except hitting the post on a giveaway during 5-5. Skinner looks calm but not sticking out. He hasn't yet shown the offensive ability he had in the ECHL. Pack second power play unit of Raddysh, Thompson, Ronning, Sanchez and Reuschhoff much more effective than the first unit. Cuylle playing on the fourth line with Thompson and O'Leary.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Game 14, Bridgeport at Hartford. Tyler Wall in goal. Same six on D with Hunter Skinner playing. Will Cuylle back in with Whelan coming out.
full scratches:
scratched: [F] Kohodorenko, Dmowski, Brodzinzki, Whelan, Fontaine, (...Elmer, McBride,...)
[D] Taylor, Crawley, Berzolla, [G] Brassard

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
No score after 1. Shots 7-1 Pack even with Bridgeport having two power plays. Cuylle gets into a fight and gets an extra 2 but the camera missed most of the action so I couldn't tell what happened. Pack had two good shorthanded chances on the first power play. Reunanen gets delay of game. He was close to the blue line and refs ruled he hadn't crossed it. Bridgeport has generated nothing except hitting the post on a giveaway during 5-5. Skinner looks calm but not sticking out. He hasn't yet shown the offensive ability he had in the ECHL. Pack second power play unit of Raddysh, Thompson, Ronning, Sanchez and Reuschhoff much more effective than the first unit. Cuylle playing on the fourth line with Thompson and O'Leary.
Happy with Sanchez so far.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
1-1 after 2. Pack outshooting Bridgeport 21-12. Bridgeport scores first on a shot from the right wing that Wall got a piece of but trickled in. Looks like he should have had it. Pack score on a 5-3 when Newell shot stopped and Gettinger puts in the rebound. Pack have had several good opportunities. Cuylle a nice give and go with O'Leary, Sanchez and Reuschhoff generated a couple of good chances. Reuschhoff has a really quick wrist shot similar to Barron. Pack outplaying Bridgeport but Bridgeport goalie has been good. Pack start 3rd period on the PK with Justin Richards taking a tripping penalty near the end of the period. I would rather have Cuylle play up with Sanchez and Reuschhoff and let Geertsen be on the 4th line. Newell and Greco don't do much for me as Barron's wingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad