Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Maine Mariners Thread: Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Game 11 against Providence. Husks in goal. Brodzinski, cuylle and O’Leary out. Whelan in. Berrill’s not dressed. Gettingrr - Richards - Ronning - loverde - Reunanen start.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

cwede

Sep 1, 2010

Newell-Barron-Greco Gettinger-Richards-Ronning
Whelan-Khodorenko-Thompson Geertsen-Sanchez-Rueschhoff
Reunanen-Loverde Crawley-Raddysh
Sieloff-Giuttari Huska

scratches include (adding to RR's post above, thank you)
Brodzinski, Cuylle, O'Leary, Dmowski, , Fontaine,
Taylor, Berzolla, and 2 Goalies - maybe Brassard and Lackey?

Reactions: Ranger Ric

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Glad Huska is back in. I cautioned to all those who had him buried in Maine behind Wall (before Maine opted out) that Wall may not be ready. Not to say Huska is going to be a lot better, but I doubt he'll be much worse.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Probably best Packperiod this year. 3-0 after 1. Pack outshooting Bruins 16-5. Some of the shooting is because of power plays but Pack also good 5-5.

Pack get an early PP. Reuschhoff gets puck behind the net and defensive player can't get it so he trips Reuschhoff. Pack do not score on 5-3 but on 5-4 Pack put excellent pressure down low and off a Thompson shot Sanchez finds the puck and puts it in for his first pro goal. Then another power play with Reunanen making great play, faking a snapshot with the defensive player going down and taking himself out of play. Reunanen makes behind the back pass to an open Greco who takes a hard shot that is stopped but lays on the goal line with Barron tapping it in. Later on 5-5, Getting is tripped as he is breaking in 1-2 drawing a penalty but Ronning picks up the puck and sends a backhander into the net. Fourth goal in five games for Ronning. He has scored on a slap shot, high slot tip, rebound and backhander. The penalties certainly tipped the ice in the Packs' favor but they played well 5-5 letting few chances. Huska may have had one tough stop. Everyone looked good. But there's 2 more periods so we'll see.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
NGL I was disappointed that Reunanen didn't get PP time in his one game0 especially since KAM is nowhere near the hockey IQ needed to play PP minutes yet.

Tarmo def gets a real shot next camp though.

Reactions: NYR Viper

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Barron with 2 goals today. It's getting close to that time where he needs to be on the big club. Howden on the COVID list, Lemieux is not on any special teams unit. Journeymen players like Blackwell and Rooney in the lineup. Those two have been good for the team, but Barron is part of this team's future. He's going to take someone's time. Also, if he is someone they are going to look to package in a trade, having him come up the 2nd half a play well at the NHL level would be ideal.

Reactions: bl02

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
4-1 Pack after 2. Pack outshooting Bruins 22-13. A relatively quiet period. Morgan Barron picks up puck at center ice. Stick handles into the zone and whips a 40 footer past the goalie. Bruins score later on the power play with a Bruin tapping in a rebound.

Although Barron does take some face offs this is his first game of the year at center. Khodorenko dropped to 4th line between Whelan and Thompson and has had some good moments. Really everybody has looked good. The Packs best game in a long time if not all year.

Trying to decipher how a player is doing from a score sheet can be so misleading. Reunanen makes a great play on the second goal and winds up with a secondary assist. He makes a routine pass to Barron who makes a terrific play and winds up with the primary assist.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Barron having his best game of the season today although I could say that about lots of Pack players. I'm a big Barron fan having watched many of his games at Cornell. He started the year very slowly and has gotten better although not at the level I think he can play. Today is the first game he is playing at a very high level. He needs to put together more games like today. I believe there are cap reasons why he can't be brought up but I think it is fine that he is improving and hopefully he he continues to have strong games. The goal for the Rangers is not this year and Morgan Barron will be part of the future. I would rather have him play big minutes including PP and PK in Hartford than 4th line minutes in NY.

Barron with 2 goals today. It's getting close to that time where he needs to be on the big club. Howden on the COVID list, Lemieux is not on any special teams unit. Journeymen players like Blackwell and Rooney in the lineup. Those two have been good for the team, but Barron is part of this team's future. He's going to take someone's time. Also, if he is someone they are going to look to package in a trade, having him come up the 2nd half a play well at the NHL level would be ideal.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Barron having his best game of the season today although I could say that about lots of Pack players. I'm a big Barron fan having watched many of his games at Cornell. He started the year very slowly and has gotten better although not at the level I think he can play. Today is the first game he is playing at a very high level. He needs to put together more games like today. I believe there are cap reasons why he can't be brought up but I think it is fine that he is improving and hopefully he he continues to have strong games. The goal for the Rangers is not this year and Morgan Barron will be part of the future. I would rather have him play big minutes including PP and PK in Hartford than 4th line minutes in NY.
I'm glad to hear this. I think you and I have been on the same page about him playing well but not quite at the level where you think he's forcing his way up. Sounds like he may be taking that step.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Ir's a 4-2 final. Shots 31-25. Bruins score with 2:00 minutes left but another strong defensive period for the Pack.

Three stars: 3. Sanchez, 2. Reunanen, 1. Barron

Just an overall excellent performance.

Third period has several fights with Geertsen just destroying a Bruin and Reuschhoff beating up on another Bruin. Pack had two excellent chances on the PK with Richards being stopped on a breakaway and Newell taking a slap shot from coming down the last side.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Barron has 7 goals in what 10 games?

that release is top notch. I for one thought he’d be nhl ready I’ve watched the games I’ve liked him most nights think he’d better than at minimum Lemieux Howden DiGiuseppe Blackwell but I understand the cap and I understand getting him mins so we’ll see how he continues here. Doubt he’s going to get nhl games with this many guys here

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Just seeing the highlights but he played center today as someone mentioned. That’s 10 points in 11 ahl games (not easy) including 7 goals?

that is hard to ignore much longer

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Only have watched Hartford twice this year so not gonna I’ve seen Barron a lot but it’s nice to know that we have a kid that is pretty mature already and if needed down the road can compete for a bottom 6 role and not look out of place in terms of physical maturity. Big fan of having these college kids and even other prospects just marinate and not be rushed.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Only have watched Hartford twice this year so not gonna I’ve seen Barron a lot but it’s nice to know that we have a kid that is pretty mature already and if needed down the road can compete for a bottom 6 role and not look out of place in terms of physical maturity. Big fan of having these college kids and even other prospects just marinate and not be rushed.

howden is really the one to me we screwed this up with. He should have been in the ahl. For a year minimum. Had no business playing up and it hurt him. He’s a guy that I think would have developed properly if we were patient with him.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008

I may have said this before, but I have a really hard time judging the progression of wingers in HFD. Specifically because if the centers aren't very good and the D is mediocre at making a first pass, a winger's ability to impact the game or drive play becomes more limited. Whereas, if you're a center like Chytil, it's a lot easier to be noticable and drive the play from that position because unlike the wingers, your job is to go get the puck and help bring it up the ice. Whereas the wingers are usually waiting along the walls or in the NZ hoping someone can pass it to them. So they have less opportunity for play driving. Thus, when we judge wings like Barron and also Kravtsov last year they tend to look more effective on some shifts than others. And a lot of that has to do with how often their possessing the puck in space. And so, its harder to judge when wingers are "dominating" at this level. And going by points isn't necessarily always a great barometer either. In the games I've seen this year Barron has become just about as effective in HFD as Kravtsov was at the end of last year. Which is to say, noticeable, shows flashes, but unable to drive play every shift -- and I just feel like some of that is the nature of being a winger in the AHL - a league that is just littered with players who chip and tip and chase and play a very very very simple game.

Finally, when we look at Barron's point totals - we tend to think he's starting to dominate. But in reality, he's just pretty consistent and on top of that has just a fantastic shot that allows him to maximize his chances. The thing I wish he was just a little better at was playing faster. Possibly having him at C could give him more opportunity to do that. Ultimately, I feel like I want him to play faster so if and when he gets to the NHL he's able to find the space to get his shot through. If he can do that, with his size and decent enough hands, he could become the kind of kid you could put on any line and not look out of place. If he's not able to play as quick, he'll become more of a Brian Boyle type.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Barron has 7 goals in what 10 games?

that release is top notch. I for one thought he’d be nhl ready I’ve watched the games I’ve liked him most nights think he’d better than at minimum Lemieux Howden DiGiuseppe Blackwell but I understand the cap and I understand getting him mins so we’ll see how he continues here. Doubt he’s going to get nhl games with this many guys here
the 4th line definitely needs some love.

Lemmy-Rooney-Howden are at roughly 3 xGA/60. Worst on the team. Our 4th line can't be that type of detriment. If he could center the 4th line that'd be a nice start. PDG and Blackwell as flanks.

PDG - Barron - Blackwell would be my simple, grind it out 4th line.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Lemieux and Howden are terrible. They really are. And the fourth line is getting scored on. More lately than ever. There’s gotta be an upgrade there. DiGiuseppe will give you smart mins I like Rooney too but Howden and Lemieux and even Blackwell shouldn’t be playing nhl hockey on a regular basis

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Just seeing the highlights but he played center today as someone mentioned. That’s 10 points in 11 ahl games (not easy) including 7 goals?

that is hard to ignore much longer
Yea Bern must be striking it hard this evening. If they are going to make him a center he’s gotta start taking face offs. Last thing the rangers need is keeping howden around on 4th line to take the face off and play wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad