Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Maine Mariners Thread: Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
3rd coach is a Rangers Skills Coach Brock Board? Brodzinski called up with Geertson coming back. Not sure why Brodzinski called up. Not likely just a paper transaction. Lines are Khodoenko -- Barron -- Newell, Richards, -- Gettinger -- Ronning, Sanchez -- Cuylle -- Reuschhoff and bottom line O'leary -- Thompson -- Greco.

Like it that the kids are getting chances.

Reactions: egelband

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
1-0 Bruins after 1. Shots are 9-8 for Pack. Just as I was thinking that this had been one of the best Pack periods with very few turnovers, Darren Raddysh makes an ill advised pass at the point to Patrick Seiloff with Paul Carey picking off the pass and scoring on a semi breakaway. Will Cuylle very active down low. He and Reuschhoff were very effective when the puck was below the goal line. Sanchez had one good backhander of the work by Cuylle and Reuschhoff. Justin Richards having his most effective game with several good plays. Ty Ronning continues to be active and effective. Despite Raddysh mistake few turnovers.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Down 1-0 after 1. Providence scored with a little over a minute left in the period.

I think someone else mentioned this a few pages back, but HFD centers are terrible. Khodorenko is the #1 center right now. He cannot win a board battle. He only uses his stick. He literally can't do anything out there unless he has tons of space. Any momentum that line creates with Barron and Newell is shut down the minute Khodorenko has to make a play. And he's supposedly their #1 C? I would move him down to 4C. But the truth is, the other C's aren't good either.

Their wings aren't bad though. And even with terrible centers Barron still manages to get a chance or two a period. He's not necessarily like a huge driver of the play. But he's effective and for a wing, he does well to drive play when the puck gets to him. The big thing with Barron is -- he has one of the best shots in the whole organization. Certainly in NA. Just a deadly shot, pretty accurate and just has a ton of zip with a challenging release. He makes the most of his chances because of that shot. And can turn a nothing burger into a something burger if he gets his shot off.

Re; HFD's play drivers, it's Newell, Ronning, Barron -- And then everyone else has their moments.

It's really hard to watch this team because of their total lack of good center depth.

I will say, this kid Sanchez didn't look terrible. Curious to see him some more.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
HFD was buzzing, but then Cuylle with a turnover at the offensive blueline, turns into a 2-2 and Cuylle fails to pick up his man who beats him for a tap in. 2-0.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
3-0. They showed more life after going down by 3. Very similar story to the big club. Carrying play for a decent amount of time. Not generating enough high danger scoring attempts. And then every defensive breakdown goes in the back of their net. It's not a lot of fun to watch these games unless you're rooting for the other team. And then, it's not that great either.

HFD team is just weirdly constructed this year. It almost doesn't matter what system they're playing -- the players just feel a bit mismatched and not quite skilled enough to be very good.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Pack down 3-0 after 2. Shots 19-18 Pack. Again another relatively even period except for two mistakes that lead to goals. As Gravey9 said Cuylle had good shift but lost the puck at the offensive blue line leading to a 2-1 with the Bruins scoring. Then later in the period on a 4-4 it looks like Newell loses the defenseman at the point who comes in creating a 3-2 and the Bruins scoring.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Agree that Khodorenko has been disappointing. Barron needs to be quicker. Ronning is pretty effective. Don't understand why he wasn't playing at the beginning of the year. Other than Cuylle's turnover he has been active and Reuschhoff has had 3-4 good chances. His shooting % is low so perhaps his luck will change. Of the three NCAA free agents he had the least buzz but has been the most effective. Sanchez centering Cuylle and Reuschhoff and that line has generated lots of chaos when they get the puck down low.

Down 1-0 after 1. Providence scored with a little over a minute left in the period.

I think someone else mentioned this a few pages back, but HFD centers are terrible. Khodorenko is the #1 center right now. He cannot win a board battle. He only uses his stick. He literally can't do anything out there unless he has tons of space. Any momentum that line creates with Barron and Newell is shut down the minute Khodorenko has to make a play. And he's supposedly their #1 C? I would move him down to 4C. But the truth is, the other C's aren't good either.

Their wings aren't bad though. And even with terrible centers Barron still manages to get a chance or two a period. He's not necessarily like a huge driver of the play. But he's effective and for a wing, he does well to drive play when the puck gets to him. The big thing with Barron is -- he has one of the best shots in the whole organization. Certainly in NA. Just a deadly shot, pretty accurate and just has a ton of zip with a challenging release. He makes the most of his chances because of that shot. And can turn a nothing burger into a something burger if he gets his shot off.

Re; HFD's play drivers, it's Newell, Ronning, Barron -- And then everyone else has their moments.

It's really hard to watch this team because of their total lack of good center depth.

I will say, this kid Sanchez didn't look terrible. Curious to see him some more.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Pack down 3-0 after 2. Shots 19-18 Pack. Again another relatively even period except for two mistakes that lead to goals. As Gravey9 said Cuylle had good shift but lost the puck at the offensive blue line leading to a 2-1 with the Bruins scoring. Then later in the period on a 4-4 it looks like Newell loses the defenseman at the point who comes in creating a 3-2 and the Bruins scoring.

The Cuylle, Reuschoff and Sanchez line has been the line that seems most suited to play with each other. Decent size, okay speed and the two wingers like to get in on the forecheck and pressure. They've had some decent cycling shifts -- including that one before it ultimately led to a goal against.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Agree that Khodorenko has been disappointing. Barron needs to be quicker. Ronning is pretty effective. Don't understand why he wasn't playing at the beginning of the year. Other than Cuylle's turnover he has been active and Reuschhoff has had 3-4 good chances. His shooting % is low so perhaps his luck will change. Of the three NCAA free agents he had the least buzz but has been the most effective. Sanchez centering Cuylle and Reuschhoff and that line has generated lots of chaos when they get the puck down low.

Agreed. And Agreed on Ronning. he's considerably more effective than many of the other forwards.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Pack lose 6-1. The score is not indicative of the game. As Gravey6 said every mistake the Pack made seem to wind up in the back of the net while the Pack had several good chances but could not score.

Darren Dreger has a tweet that Jack Johnson had sports hernia surgery and is out for the year. I expect Bitetto to be called up to be 7th defenseman. No sense bringing up Reunanen is he is going to sit.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Wall lets in a weak backhander. I'm not sure the other goals were his fault. He's played better than the first two games but not what you would like to see. Hopefully this is just growing pains.
4-0. Wall has been disappointing.

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
Wall getting killed on this year's watered down AHL... ouch.

Time to do a paper transaction (Wall -> Taxi Squad) and get Kinkaid and Huska back in.

Wall really should have been with ECHL Maine this year getting reps.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Not sure why that's a PTO instead of an ATO. I know he is graduating and has no college eligiblity left, but I still don't recall seeing a guy who has not ever played professionally receive a PTO rather than and ATO (it probably does happen I just can't recall any examples).

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not sure why that's a PTO instead of an ATO. I know he is graduating and has no college eligiblity left, but I still don't recall seeing a guy who has not ever played professionally receive a PTO rather than and ATO (it probably does happen I just can't recall any examples).

I think it's an ATO. Ricky probably just mixed them up.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think it's an ATO. Ricky probably just mixed them up.
That was my initial thought but the AHL site listed it the same way:

Zach Berzolla (D) Hartford ADD Signed to PTO

Maybe typo on their end? Or some new thing for this weird season that I'm unaware of? Who knows. Irrelevant in the end but I still like to understand. :laugh:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That was my initial thought but the AHL site listed it the same way:

Zach Berzolla (D) Hartford ADD Signed to PTO

Maybe typo on their end? Or some new thing for this weird season that I'm unaware of? Who knows. Irrelevant in the end but I still like to understand. :laugh:

Oh, I don't rule anything out in 2021, man.

Reactions: nyr2k2

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League
2021-03-23 Adam Huska (G) Hartford ADD Returned on loan from N.Y. Rangers (Taxi)

Huska back to Hartford,
been up on Taxi (or NYR on paper, when Keith on Taxi on paper) since Mar 6th
So Shesty maybe back, and Huska maybe gets a start Thurs or Sat

Reactions: Leetch3

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
What's up with Gettinger changing his name . I read on Wikipedia he changed it to Matthew Fishman . Is that a joke ?

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Reactions: leetch99 and nyr2k2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad