Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Maine Mariners Thread: Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I don't see how an AHL signing is awful ever....

His contract has nothing to do with the Rangers and he will strictly be a veteran for what seems to be a new crop of players coming next season (Khodorenko, Rueschhoff, Richards, Miller, possibly Lundkvist and/or Gross). I see no problem bringing him back on this term.

FWIW, he was used as a forward and defenseman this year which shows the versatility in the lineup. He has a lot of grit something that Hartford team was missing. Every time I watched them against Springfield they got pummeled aggressively and physically. He'll also be the one to drop gloves when it's all said and done and actually clear the crease. Sure, he has practically zero offensive ability, but he isn't a bad skater and can do the job on a bottom pair, defensive role.

So hes basically Dale Purinton. Rather give that defense spot even as a 5th 6th 7th to someone with actually potential and not a goon that has no nhl future. Its not like he is the Colton Orr or Ryan Reaves of the AHL.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
So hes basically Dale Purinton. Rather give that defense spot even as a 5th 6th 7th to someone with actually potential and not a goon that has no nhl future. Its not like he is the Colton Orr or Ryan Reaves of the AHL.

Well, frankly, it won't matter either way if someone plays better than he does. He won't be in the lineup if that's the case. Its an AHL deal so really no harm at all.

Reactions: nyr2k2

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I don't know if it's an awful AHL signing. If he holds a regular spot in the lineup all season then yeah, it sucks. If he spends the majority of the year in Maine or as a healthy scratch, no problem. The AHL has tried to curb fighting in recent years but it's still more prevalent than in the NHL. So it's not a bad idea to have a guy like him to handle the staged fighting, rather than one of our prospects who is looking to make a name for himself stepping up and getting hurt.

It's all about how he is used, IMO.
An awful AHL signing is an oxymoron.

C’mon man!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It takes all kinds of elements to make a good team and Geertsen is tough. You also need a veteran presence on any AHL team and both he and Loverde will help provide that on the D. Loverde is a steady guy. The AHL is a very tough league and practically every team has a serious goon or two and you can't allow them to intimidate your kids.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Geertsen is okay as a bottom pair shut down role. He doesn't turn the puck over as much as LoVerde, though. Seen my fair share of that this year, lolol....
And there’s always room for toughness. I wouldn’t go overboard, like the Islanders have done lately, for example. But were I building a team I’d definitely compose my with a good deal of that element. Not for the fighting, in and of itself. But having tough guys makes the skill guys stand a little taller. And having guys who are skilled *and* tough is the best of both worlds.
Just for example, I consider Panarin pretty tough btw. Kreider too. Guys that don’t get intimidated.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Can Reunanen come back and play in the nhl / AHL now ? I assume that his leagues done but the nhl may return

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Can Reunanen come back and play in the nhl / AHL now ? I assume that his leagues done but the nhl may return
Yeah he could come back.

IDK about how the whole European Assignment Clause thing would factor into his AHL playoff eligibility, and am too lazy to look into it. :laugh:

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
This defenseman has just finished a great season of Canadian University Hockey playing at UPEI[PEI] on a very poor club 10-20 record . He scored at a great clip ...13 goals and 19 assists . His goals scored were double that of any defender in the Canadian league for college/University . He has had a camp try out in Boston a couple of years ago ...looks like he got 2 assists in a prospects/rookie game . He might be worth a look by our scouts...could be a late bloomer . 22 years old . Played some US college already . Owen Headrick Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This defenseman has just finished a great season of Canadian University Hockey playing at UPEI[PEI] on a very poor club 10-20 record . He scored at a great clip ...13 goals and 19 assists . His goals scored were double that of any defender in the Canadian league for college/University . He has had a camp try out in Boston a couple of years ago ...looks like he got 2 assists in a prospects/rookie game . He might be worth a look by our scouts...could be a late bloomer . 22 years old . Played some US college already . Owen Headrick Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
Possibly. He was on the radar years ago as a late round pick. Played with Taylor Raddysh on the Memorial Cup Otters team. Played well before that in college. I don't know what the knocks on him are but no one has ever been that interested.

So few USports guys ever make the NHL. Darche and Joel Ward. Probably a few others from the past couple decades. Not many, though. USports is filled with CHL guys who aged out and didn't get a contract to play anywhere, since they can get their tuition covered. So the level of play isn't that great. About a third of the guys in USports aren't even on athletic scholarships at the big programs, and more at the lesser programs.

I'm never opposed to giving anyone a look, bit for someone like this guy it would be an invite to AHL camp and nothing more.

Reactions: leetch99

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Geertsen’s mullet alone earns him an AHL deal, don’t even care if he can skate....

Yeah I think he is underrated for sure. Come on, he isn’t “that” bad. He is really good in front if his own net and also a good PKer. You need that type. Or “need”, it’s good to have at times at least... ;)

Reactions: egelband

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
will Geertsen even get much time at LD next season with Miller and Tarmo joining Rykov and Hajek, maybe Gross too...

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Should have gotten an ECHL contract in my opinion.
It makes no difference. If he signs and ECHL deal and Hartford decides they want to then they'd sign him anyway.

And the reality is Geertsen has spent the last three seasons exclusively in the AHL. If Hartford/the Rangers wanted him, it probably required an AHL deal.

It's a totally inconsequential move.

Reactions: Joey Bones

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
busy week for old friends
upload_2020-5-6_13-39-19.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad