Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Maine Mariners Thread: Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Really great stuff! Thanks as always and looking forward!

Can you just start sending all of this to the New York Post and take brooksies job?

Hahaha. I never want to do this as a job. It's a hobby.

I don't want to work with deadlines etc. Just enjoy it while it lasts. Got 3 coming up with 2020 draft picks.

Reactions: egelband

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
So it looks like Nick Jones is not coming back. That's too bad. While I thought his chance of making the NHL was very small he certainly looked like he could be a decent AHL player. It seems hard to believe that Chris Drury decided to keep McBride, who they sent to the EHL for a good part of the year, over Jones. So perhaps the Rangers offered Jones an AHL contract and he said no.

Thanks for summary. Very helpful.

So hard to project. Here is your pool of players, with others likely to be added (AHL means they're on an AHL deal):

Defensemen:
Bitetto
Crawley
Geertsen (AHL)
Giuttari (AHL)
Hajek
LoVerde (AHL)
Miller
Reunanen

Forwards:
Barron
Blackwell
Brodzinski
Elmer
Fontaine
Gettinger
Greco
Khodorenko
McBride (AHL)
Newell
O'Leary (AHL)
Thompson (AHL)
Richards
Ronning
Rooney
Rueschhoff
Whelan (AHL)

Goalies:
Huska
Kinkaid
Wall

From Bitetto, Hajek, Miller, and Reunanen, at least one and probably two are on the NHL team in some capacity.

From the forwards, I think Rooney might stick in the NHL and Barron could make it right out of camp.

So purely hypothetically, you could have something like...

Greco-Brodzinski-Thompson
Gettinger-Blackwell-Khodorenko
Newell-Richards-McBride
Fontaine-Rueschhoff-Elmer

Ex: O'Leary, Ronning, Whelan

Miller-LoVerde
Reunanen-Geertsen
Crawley-Guittari

Kinkaid
Wall

That defense is terrifying with two promising rookies and a bunch of trash. LoVerde is okay, but Geertsen is pretty bad, Crawley is a tweener (AHL/ECHL), and who knows what Giuttari is. This is with Hajek in the NHL and also Bitetto hanging on as a spare. They clearly will have to add some more depth in this area.

The forwards are literally impossible to project. I mean you have Brodzinski, Blackwell, Khodorenko, Richards, Fontaine, and Rueschhoff who can all play center. And in the AHL they always move guys all around anyway. I assume if the waive Kinkaid and send him to Hartford, Huska will then go to Maine to get the majority of the starts.

So, while my lineup is probably way off, I think it gives and idea of what they could have. They could/should be strong up front, particularly if Khodorenko and Richards are ready to contribute. And of course you just don't know with guys like Barron, Rooney, even Gauthier, or possibly even Kravtsov. The defense would be a lot better if only one of the guys I listed was in the NHL--like if Bitetto was in the AHL that's a huge help.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The ECHL announced critical dates for the season (report dates, camp dates, etc.). They're really pushing forward with this two-tiered restart that will have at least some teams opening before the NHL, which will be weird as a lot of high-end ECHL players are guys on NHL ELCs that are AHL/ECHL tweeners.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
The ECHL announced critical dates for the season (report dates, camp dates, etc.). They're really pushing forward with this two-tiered restart that will have at least some teams opening before the NHL, which will be weird as a lot of high-end ECHL players are guys on NHL ELCs that are AHL/ECHL tweeners.

f*** it, try as best as possible to get back to the normal schedule of things (obviously, as long as it is safe enough to play).

Reactions: nyr2k2 and egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

That's not surprising, the ECHL team are even more reliant than the AHL teams on gates. If no one is in the stands, those teams will be losing money hand over first. Would be cheaper for them to not play, though some may end up folding.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
NYR/HWP/Drury-wise, maybe especially bad news for guys like O'Leary, Whelan, Giuttari - 1st year pros signed to AHL deals, and McBride (2d year pro,) who might have gotten much of their ice-time in Maine

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
NYR/HWP/Drury-wise, maybe especially bad news for guys like O'Leary, Whelan, Giuttari - 1st year pros signed to AHL deals, and McBride (2d year pro,) who might have gotten much of their ice-time in Maine
Yep. Fortunately with no real salary cap or roster limit, they can hang around with Hartford and get into games from time to time. Obviously far from ideal for them.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A bit surprising, can they already rule out that some kind of shortened season in like March-May could make sense?

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I wonder if this is more player-driven than anything else. With so many players staying in Europe, could they even field enough teams?

Also, how do the loans between the different affiliates work? If an ECHL team has a player on loan from the NHL, does the NHL team pay the salary? Or is it on the ECHL team to pay?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I wonder if this is more player-driven than anything else. With so many players staying in Europe, could they even field enough teams?

Also, how do the loans between the different affiliates work? If an ECHL team has a player on loan from the NHL, does the NHL team pay the salary? Or is it on the ECHL team to pay?
If a player is signed to an NHL team and is in the ECHL (which, outside of an ELC situation, is rare), then the player's contract is an NHL contract and he is therefore paid by his NHL team. He's not loaned in the traditional sense so much as assigned to play there by his NHL club, and his working conditions are governed by the NHL and NHLPA CBA.

If a guy is on an AHL deal, the AHL team pays his salary and he's subject to the AHL and PHPA CBA. An ECHL team is only paying the salary of a player on an ECHL contract. That said, a majority of ECHL players are there on ECHL deals. The ECHL teams will usually get a couple guys on NHL ELCs assigned to them, usually for only portions of the season, and generally will have a couple guys on AHL deals loaned down to them (worth noting the AHL has one- and two-way contracts just like the NHL does).

Unfortunately for the ECHL, they are almost entirely reliant on gate revenue. Most teams will be operating at a huge loss (percentage-wise) if they can't have fans in the buildings. I don't know if any ECHL teams have TV deals (I think most would pay a network for their games to be aired), but the other sponsorship deals are just not enough to cover the costs of salaries for players, staff, travel, equipment, operating the arena, etc.

Sucks for the ECHL but not surprising. The AHL is largely propped up by the NHL, which owns 2/3 of the AHL teams, so it's less dire at that level.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I caught a bit of this on the local news this AM and I am pretty sure they said that the players on the teams in the North division of the league will all become free agents . That must suck for some of the loyal fans....I don't follow that league but I suspect that the NFLD club did well at the gate . Edit...Attendance not great for some clubs to begin with including Maine and NFLD ...that surprises me .

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So Rangers are gonna carry the min 20 and just have a taxi squad I assume ? The whole league should have that model

echl guys can play some AHL

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
for those who follow Maine with interest

Maine goalie finds a team in Slovak league for this season

Connor LaCouvee at eliteprospects.com
interesting note that he was at BU w Quinn
after playing 3 seasons he graduated in summer, and enrolled at Mankato for graduate/4th season
Graduate transfer to help fill Minnesota State hockey team's gap in goal

he's not under contract with the Rangers, it is unlikely LaCouvee will be returning to Portland even had the pandemic not struck and the opt-out of the Mariners franchise this season..... Montreal likely is leaving the secondary affiliation when Trois Rivieres gets off the ground in 2022-23 (same ownership as Newfoundland)

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
If a player is signed to an NHL team and is in the ECHL (which, outside of an ELC situation, is rare), then the player's contract is an NHL contract and he is therefore paid by his NHL team. He's not loaned in the traditional sense so much as assigned to play there by his NHL club, and his working conditions are governed by the NHL and NHLPA CBA.

If a guy is on an AHL deal, the AHL team pays his salary and he's subject to the AHL and PHPA CBA. An ECHL team is only paying the salary of a player on an ECHL contract. That said, a majority of ECHL players are there on ECHL deals. The ECHL teams will usually get a couple guys on NHL ELCs assigned to them, usually for only portions of the season, and generally will have a couple guys on AHL deals loaned down to them (worth noting the AHL has one- and two-way contracts just like the NHL does).

Unfortunately for the ECHL, they are almost entirely reliant on gate revenue. Most teams will be operating at a huge loss (percentage-wise) if they can't have fans in the buildings. I don't know if any ECHL teams have TV deals (I think most would pay a network for their games to be aired), but the other sponsorship deals are just not enough to cover the costs of salaries for players, staff, travel, equipment, operating the arena, etc.

Sucks for the ECHL but not surprising. The AHL is largely propped up by the NHL, which owns 2/3 of the AHL teams, so it's less dire at that level.
This is not exactly right. NHL players on assignment to the AHL are typically paid in full by the NHL team. AHL teams pay their own contracted players and also pay all travel and many other costs. Team typically have a working agreement (unless they are fully owned by the NHL team) that spells out who pays what. Players assigned to the ECHL are paid by the NHL or AHL team they are under contract to however the ECHL team typically pays a fixed amount for each player. This is a flat portion of their contract. ECHL teams have a different nut but they rely on live gates, AHL teams rely on big brother to pay a lot of the bills.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So what’s the AHL depth w echl guys if say PDG, Blackwell , Rooney , Hajek, Reuananen , Kinkaid are all on the taxi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->