Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Cincinnati Cyclones Thread: Part XV

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Looking at Barron's numbers, I wondered if he was feasting on a bad Bridgeport team, but he only has 2 multi-point games on the season, with 1 coming against Bridgeport. He has only had 3 games out of 14 where he didn't score a point. You gotta love consistency like that. Hopefully he can keep it up, and gets a call up to the Rangers at some point.

Edit: He has also only be a negative +/- in one game this year.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
as of just a few games ago, Brodzinski was leading scorer
good to see the scoring spiking, and spread around

and what a streaky season
(admittedly with odd schedule of only opponents a very strong Prov team and a weakish Bridgeport team)
2 -0-0 Keith in goal
then 1-7, with the W in OT, and a loss in OT
now 4 straight reg W's,
- since Huska returned from NYR Taxi, once Shesty got healthy
- coincides with Sanchez joining and Ronning reinserted

Reactions: egelband

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Looking at Barron's numbers, I wondered if he was feasting on a bad Bridgeport team, but he only has 2 multi-point games on the season, with 1 coming against Bridgeport. He has only had 3 games out of 14 where he didn't score a point. You gotta love consistency like that. Hopefully he can keep it up, and gets a call up to the Rangers at some point.

Edit: He has also only be a negative +/- in one game this year.

The only problem is that most of his production has been on the man advantage. He isn't gonna be a PP staple on this NY Rangers team.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The only problem is that most of his production has been on the man advantage. He isn't gonna be a PP staple on this NY Rangers team.

True, but I'm not expecting him to score at a PPG rate in the NHL either. If he can be a 20-30 points bottom 6 guy who is hard to play against, I'm happy.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Ronning's turn around has been stunning. He has played very well in each of his eight games. He currently is 12th in points per game in the AHL. But many of those above him have only played 2-3 games. If you screen out players with less than his eight games he is tied for 3rd in the AHL in PPG trailing only Tanner Jeannot of Chicago and our old friend Vinny Lettieri of San Diego.
Man Ronning coming back from the brink of being written off to 11 points in 8 games...

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Streaky indeed. After first two games Kinkaid called up and Schneider sent back to WHL. Then Jonny Brodzinski called up to Rangers for a few games. Team slumped with weaker goaltending and missing Schneider and Brodzinski. Knoblauch also started out relying on non producing veterans (except Barron) and not giving the kids much of a chance. Over the last several games he moved Thompson down to the 4th line, inserted Ronning who not only is playing well but positively affected Gettinger, got Richards back from injury essentially replacing Khodorenko, moved Reuschhoff up to 3rd line and 2nd PP, added Sanchez who is working well with Reuschhoff and inserted Huska who steadied the goal tending. The team has looked much better in the last four games but 3 have been against Bridgeport, which, as you noted, is not a good team. The remaining four games against Providence will be an important test for the team. The Pack is 3-4-1 against Providence this year including some ugly losses.

as of just a few games ago, Brodzinski was leading scorer
good to see the scoring spiking, and spread around

and what a streaky season
(admittedly with odd schedule of only opponents a very strong Prov team and a weakish Bridgeport team)
2 -0-0 Keith in goal
then 1-7, with the W in OT, and a loss in OT
now 4 straight reg W's,
- since Huska returned from NYR Taxi, once Shesty got healthy
- coincides with Sanchez joining and Ronning reinserted

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Hartford hosts Providence at 1. Pack have the same lineup except Khodorenko in for Whelan. Adam Huska in goal. Seven Bruins players called up to Boston. Both goalies, Vladar and Swayman, defenseman Jack Ahcan and forwards Greg McKegg, Zach Senyshyn, Anton Blidh and Karson Kuhlman.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Hartford hosts Providence at 1. Pack have the same lineup except Khodorenko in for Whelan. Adam Huska in goal. Seven Bruins players called up to Boston. Both goalies, Vladar and Swayman, defenseman Jack Ahcan and forwards Greg McKegg, Zach Senyshyn, Anton Blidh and Karson Kuhlman.
Boston is also playing in Philadelphia at 2 pm; Swayman will start but was given the option of opting out after the unfortunate sudden passing of Maine hockey coach Dennis "Red" Gendron, which was announced at 3 pm Friday.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Pack 1-0 after 1. Greco coming down the left wing from below the dot throws a shot on goal that somehow the goalie missed. As Bob Crawford said, he will want that one back. Pack had two power plays with little to show for it. The second PP unit has been better than the first the last few games. Patrick Khodorenko had an excellent first period making several good plays. The best he has played in a while. It looks like the Tim Gettinger experience only lasted one game as he reverted to his usual play. Raddysh let Tommy Cross of all people get around him and followed up with a couple of turnovers. Pack outshooting Bruins 9-5. Not many good chances on either side.

Reactions: Osminator

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I picked up Swayman on my fantasy team so I hope he goes.
Boston is also playing in Philadelphia at 2 pm; Swayman will start but was given the option of opting out after the unfortunate sudden passing of Maine hockey coach Dennis "Red" Gendron, which was announced at 3 pm Friday.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
After 1. 1-0 Hartford. Greco from Newell and Barron. An okay period overall. It felt a bit sluggish to start (which is no fun watching on a Saturday!)

Barron got an assist, but only for tying up his man along the boards in his own zone before Newell sprung Greco. The goal itself was a fine shot by Greco but a weak goal to give up. Providence going with an ECHL goalie.

Barron's first was ok. He was a little too passive earlier in the period. Now playing C it would be nice to see him cover more ice and be more aggressive and try to carry the play. He didn't really do that. That said, he used his body really well along the boards, he made a few hits and they were very effective. And his defensive game has been decent. I just want to see more from him in the next two periods regardless of the points.

I feel like Ronning was the most effective forward. He's generally able to create space for himself this year. I'm just becoming a big fan.

I will say that after a strong start, Cuylle has been less visible. It's gotta be a weird year for a kid that young. Comes to live in HFD and play once or twice a week. Hardly any games. And it's Hartford.

Hard to get a read on Skinner, he manages to play a fairy invisible game. I don't think that's a bad thing as more than 70% of the time you notice a D in the AHL it's for the wrong reasons. So, he doesn't seem like a liability to me. And he's bigger than I thought he'd be. But you can sorta tell his frame is still maturing.

Huska looked pretty good.

Onto the 2nd.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
After 1. 1-0 Hartford. Greco from Newell and Barron. An okay period overall. It felt a bit sluggish to start (which is no fun watching on a Saturday!)

Barron got an assist, but only for tying up his man along the boards in his own zone before Newell sprung Greco. The goal itself was a fine shot by Greco but a weak goal to give up. Providence going with an ECHL goalie.

Barron's first was ok. He was a little too passive earlier in the period. Now playing C it would be nice to see him cover more ice and be more aggressive and try to carry the play. He didn't really do that. That said, he used his body really well along the boards, he made a few hits and they were very effective. And his defensive game has been decent. I just want to see more from him in the next two periods regardless of the points.

I feel like Ronning was the most effective forward. He's generally able to create space for himself this year. I'm just becoming a big fan.

I will say that after a strong start, Cuylle has been less visible. It's gotta be a weird year for a kid that young. Comes to live in HFD and play once or twice a week. Hardly any games. And it's Hartford.

Hard to get a read on Skinner, he manages to play a fairy invisible game. I don't think that's a bad thing as more than 70% of the time you notice a D in the AHL it's for the wrong reasons. So, he doesn't seem like a liability to me. And he's bigger than I thought he'd be. But you can sorta tell his frame is still maturing.

Huska looked pretty good.

Onto the 2nd.

This is important. He's only 24 and not even two years removed from NCAA at this point. If he can keep improving he can eventually turn into a solid backup and the one piece of the Talbot return (ironically in a similar way to Talbot).

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Pack lead 3-0 after 2. Great work down low by Cuylle and Khodorenko wins the puck back to Guittari whose shot goes in with Thompson screening the goalie. Then the 2nd PP scores with Ty Ronning taking a pass from Raddysh and attacking the net and scoring with Reuschhoff screening. Huska looks very confident in goal. He's given a couple of rebounds but the Pack have cleared them away. A second Ronning goal was taken away. Ronning breaks in hard down the right side the goes to the net. He is stopped and hits the goalie with Richards putting in the rebound but goal disallowed because of goaltender interference. Barron penalty towards the end of the period. Ronning out on the PK, the first time I remember him getting PK time. Shots 24-16 in favor of Pack.

I generally agree with Gravey9's post. Barron just looks OK. Before you get excited about him getting an assist he did little on the play and goal was pretty bad. Skinner's game has been quiet but making no mistakes and perfectly fine for his first few games. And it continues to be shocking to me but Ty Ronning has just been excellent. Continually driving play and creating opportunities.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Possible. Has played well but not outstanding. We'll have to see what the Rangers contract situation looks like. He'll definitely get a Hartford contract if not an ELC.
James Sanchez doing some nice stuff.

What are the odds he gets an ELC this summer?

Would hate to lose him like JAM.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
3-0 HFD after two. Much better period for the pack. They dominated that period. Showed some real offensive flair as well. Here's the specifics:

1. Ronning. He's looking like the AHL version of Martin St. Louis. He scored on the PP. A great shot. His offensive instincts and spacing are great on the PP. He plays the Ryan Strome position on the PP. And has a better shot, Scored the 3rd goal with a laser on the PP. Separately, his hustle and wheels are really noticeable. In addition, he practically had another point that period, on a rush he beat a defenseman, took the puck to the net, his original backhander was stopped, the rebound was put in by Richards but it was called back because Ronning bumped the goalie after the initial shot. They called goalie interference. But this was another impressive moment for Ronning where he basically created something out of nothing with his speed, quick hands and aggressiveness. Finally, Knoblauch is noticing because late in the period he put Ronning on the PK. That is a huge acknowledgement of how much he's come on. He's small, but I mean if he keeps this up he really does have a chance at NHL career.

2. Cuylle. After i thought he looked a little pedestrian in the first. His line had a heck of a shift cycling in the offensive zone. Cuylle won a 50/50 battle in the corner and passed back to the point. Guittari point shot goes in with a good screen in front. It was an impressive shift for the whole line, but was also a good example of Cuylle at his best. Using his frame to win battles and then he made a nice play with the puck. I feel like if he could one more gear to his skating in the next 2 years, he'll have an NHL future in the bottom 6. He's not slow by any stretch, but if he found another gear he could become a more dangerous player with his size and decent hands.

3. Barron -- had a better period. His line had some real offensive flashes in that period. Again, the think that stands out is his heavy game. You don't want to run into him out there. You will go down. I don't know if he's a C or W at the next level, but the thing I like most about his potential of what he could bring to a bottom 6 role in the playoffs. He could be one of those guys that can wear down defensemen in the playoffs -- kinda like the Kings at the height of their success. But I do wish he could find a bit more speed to his game. He's got average speed really. By his third or fourth stride he can really pick up steam, but it's the first few steps that feel a bit lumbering.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Cuylle goal. Terrible turnover right to Reunanen at the top of the circle, he walks it down and around a defender to the end line then whips it back into the slot for Cuylle to bang home. Nice play by Reunanen but like I said, it was in slow-mo, total AHL play right there LOL.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Possible. Has played well but not outstanding. We'll have to see what the Rangers contract situation looks like. He'll definitely get a Hartford contract if not an ELC.

I hope he gets a contract. I feel like he's arrival steadied the Pack at the C position -- which, as with the whole organization, lacks depth. I like him. He's not spectacular but I like him. Decent size, decent hands. He seems worth keeping around

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad