Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Maine Mariners Thread: Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
You can’t rebuild organizational depth in one year.
This, I’m pleased with the HFD new direction overall. Hey the AHL is where rubber meets the road in terms of finding out if guys have an NHL future, some live up to their pedigree others not. It looks like we’ve improved depth on D and are working on F now. The depth will help because for every 2 Chytils it’s nice to have a no name guy or less than blue chipper progress to the NHL. Gotta keep the ELCs rolling....

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well I think we'll really see what the staff can do as they brought in guys like Rueschhoff, Richards, and Khodorenko. Those are all guys with varying degrees of NHL upside. Can the staff help them take it to the next level? Even if the next level is just dependable NHL fourth liner? Hopefully they can, as we've been lacking that from our pipeline for a long time. If those guys come in and bomb at the AHL level, sure, I'll be concerned. But I need to see it play out first.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Бывший защитник «Слована» Эберт может вернуться в КХЛ

Nick Ebert has multiple offers from the KHL/SHL. He will most likely return to Europe.

Hartford is opening up a spot for Marc Staal :sarcasm: JK JK no big loss here. maybe a college kid can take his spot like Miller and or if they choose to sign an young AHL player with little potential as a late bloomer in his early 20s

Ebert is RHD, 'right' now on that side Raddysh is (will be) RFA, LoVerde on AHL deal, Lundkvist is unsigned

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
adding this regarding Zach Giuttari -
Zach Giuttari Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

the only formal announcement (which i can find) has been of the ATO w Pack, after his season at Brown ended
(he dressed for 1 HWP game pre-pause ...

But when Vince interviewed Drury re Hartford and prospects, he reported that Drury indicated ZG was signed to a HWP deal for '20-21

this news article from where he played Junior, posted during the 'pause', seconds that
Chilliwack Chief grad Zach Giuttari making jump to pro hockey - Chilliwack Progress

he is RHD, w Keane gone, Lundkvist unsigned, Raddysh RFA-to-be, he is depth behind LoVerde who re-signed w Pack

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Nick Ebert went back to Orebro.
Qbert is better.
upload_2020-6-25_21-32-57.jpeg

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Am not aware of AHL "qualify" provision. Do you have an example of where it was used in the past?

that may not be the proper terminology and perhaps I am conflating AHL and ECHL policies?
I have hazy but definite recollections of reports, in past off-seasons, of minor league affiliates protecting their league-specific rights to players they'd had under contract ...

FOUND THIS - PHPA site with some details of CBAs w both AHL and ECHL
PHPA
AHL PHPA CBA - ECHL PHPA CBA
so it does seem that ECHL has a 'Reserve System' but AHL seems to not have that ...

missed this until today
FWIW, no one here who has had any impact w HWP but some key guys for Maine
https://marinersofmaine.com/news/mariners-announce-2020-protected-list/

PORTLAND, ME – June 2, 2020 – The Maine Mariners released their 2020 Protected List on Tuesday, containing 20 names of players of whom the Mariners retain ECHL rights. The Protected List is the first phase in a three step process of protecting players’ rights, followed by submitting a season ending roster and finally, issuing qualifying offers. The Protected List is as follows:
FORWARDS (11): Conner Bleackley, Ryan Ferrill, Dillan Fox, Brian Hart, Ted Hart, Corey Kalk, Alex Kile, Nick Master, Michael McNicholas, Mikael Robidoux, Terrence Wallin
DEFENSEMEN (8): Josh Couturier, Marc-Olivier Crevier-Morin, Nathaniel Kallen, Austin McEneny, Matt Nuttle, Jonathan Racine, Dallas Rossiter, Gabriel Sylvestre
GOALTENDERS (1): Francois Brassard

Teams are allowed to protect as many players as they wish provided the players protected meet the guidelines as defined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement ...

EDIT - adding this more recent followup release too
https://marinersofmaine.com/news/mariners-announce-season-ending-roster-2/
PORTLAND, ME – June 16, 2020 – The Maine Mariners released their season-ending roster for 2019-20 on Tuesday, protecting the rights of 17 players between now and July 1st. The season-ending roster is the second phase in the three step process of protecting players’ rights, the first being the initial protected list, and the final being qualifying offers.
Here is the Mariners 2019-20 season-ending roster:
FORWARDS (9): Conner Bleackley, Ryan Ferrill, Dillan Fox, Brian Hart, Ted Hart, Alex Kile, Nick Master, Michael McNicholas, Mikael Robidoux
DEFENSEMEN (7): Josh Couturier, Marc-Olivier Crevier-Morin, Nathaniel Kallen, Austin McEneny, Jonathan Racine, Dallas Rossiter, Gabriel Sylvestre
GOALTENDERS (1): Francois Brassard

Each team is entitled to reserve rights to a maximum of eight players from the list of 20 by extending a qualifying offer no later than June 30. Of the eight qualified players, no more than four can be veterans (260 regular season professional hockey games played as of the start of the 2020-21 Season). Players on open qualifying offers cannot be traded. Teams are not required to extend a qualifying offer to players who sign a contract prior to June 30.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
That is such an awful time. So the players in the AHL will find out in October-November if they will have a team to play for or not? Some can find new teams, but it won’t be good for anyone.

A lot of loans to Europe like rykov, Reunanen etc .... they kinda have too

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A lot of loans to Europe like rykov, Reunanen etc .... they kinda have too

At the same time, thinking about it, I think we would be surprised of what elite coaches and an elite training organization could do with these guys really hard 24/7 and maybe playing some friendlies.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
At the same time, thinking about it, I think we would be surprised of what elite coaches and an elite training organization could do with these guys really hard 24/7 and maybe playing some friendlies.
Would be interesting, but IDK how it would work. The guys on AHL deals likely wouldn't be paid, so you'd be fielding teams of guys only on NHL contracts, which obviously wouldn't be much of a team, and would make scrimmages hard. AHL teams are reliant on gate revenues to a huge degree, since there really aren't any lucrative sponsorship or TV deals.

You'd also have to contend with a) whatever the NHL decided would be appropriate for NHL-contracted players not on the NHL roster, and b) whatever is even allowed in the various cities, which no one knows as things get worse daily in a lot of US cities.

I think it could be really beneficial for the players, I'm just not sure there's a way to make it work with all the logistical challenges involved.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If the AHL doesn't have a season I'm curious what will be done for the players. There's only so many spots to play overseas. Maybe the European players go back to europe, but American kids like Miller who's only 20 years old isn't going to go play in Switzerland

Weird times

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If the AHL doesn't have a season I'm curious what will be done for the players. There's only so many spots to play overseas. Maybe the European players go back to europe, but American kids like Miller who's only 20 years old isn't going to go play in Switzerland

Weird times
Yeah, probably nothing for many of them. For the minor league baseball players, some of them are receiving checks from the ML teams, but no idea how much longer that will last. They're all going to have to compete for spots overseas (assuming they can get there) and spots with independent league teams (there aren't that many) and winter ball teams (again, if they can get there). A lot of MiLB players just won't play, and I imagine the same will happen with minor league hockey players.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Yeah, probably nothing for many of them. For the minor league baseball players, some of them are receiving checks from the ML teams, but no idea how much longer that will last. They're all going to have to compete for spots overseas (assuming they can get there) and spots with independent league teams (there aren't that many) and winter ball teams (again, if they can get there). A lot of MiLB players just won't play, and I imagine the same will happen with minor league hockey players.

The higher end prospects will find somewhere to play, even if it has to be in Europe. The NHL teams and their agents are going to allow them to sit out that long. Loan agreements are going to be made and guys will suit up in the Swiss league, SHL, LIIGA, DEL, etc.

Might go the same way for the higher end CHL players as well. Canada is in much better shape than the US, but if they cannot get testing in a good spot for these kids and staff, it's going to be tough for them to get going. I wonder if you'll see some of the 19-20 year old players that are on the fringe of making an NHL roster, but are high end CHL players look to make this move, if they can. Anyone know how this works?

I have to think this is a big reason why Nils and Lias Andersson stayed in Europe. Those seasons are likely to at least begin. If there is another wave, they'll probably have testing in place. If the AHL is not going to happen or is delayed, I'd expect Kravtsov back in the KHL again, Rykov too. Reunanen will stay in LIIGA.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I would think they would do something similar to what they're doing now in the NHL. A few hub cities, players regularly getting tested and whatnot.

Do you guys think, though, that the NHL will have league play overseas for the AHL? Might be a lot needed to figure out in that regard, but it's definitely better than not having your players play. Injury call-ups and emergency backup goalies will be rough to sketch out, too.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I would think they would do something similar to what they're doing now in the NHL. A few hub cities, players regularly getting tested and whatnot.

Do you guys think, though, that the NHL will have league play overseas for the AHL? Might be a lot needed to figure out in that regard, but it's definitely better than not having your players play. Injury call-ups and emergency backup goalies will be rough to sketch out, too.
Again though the AHL is dependent on gates (fans in the seats, concessions, merchandise sales) to make money. There is no big TV contract and no lucrative sponsorship deals. For the AHL teams to make any money they really need fans in arenas. Otherwise it's probably best from a financial perspective for them to just not play.

Reactions: Joey Bones
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad