Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL)/Maine Mariners (ECHL) Thread: Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
As has been stated before, for anyone to be eligible for the Calder Playoffs, they have to be on the roster on a certain date that falls after the NHL trade deadline. The Rangers can make paper transactions to accomplish this, but the Rangers are also limited to four non-emergency call ups. So if we send down four current roster players and end up needing to bring someone up, it has to be one of those guys; if one of those guys (say Lindgren) were to get hurt, we'd have to bring up someone else like Raddysh or Ebert or whatever.

I think it's more likely we end up acquiring some AHL depth in a few trades and then sending down Gauthier. I don't think they send down Chytil or Lindgren or anything like that. Fox and Kakko, no way. Those guys will get rest or be used for a playoff run if we're still somehow in it.

Shesterkin is the only interesting one. He's obviously too good for the AHL, but it would be a way to get him additional starts and give him his first true heavy workload. I don't think it's likely but it if happened, I would understand why.

The four call-ups don't count bringing up a player to replace an injured one. What is does prevent (if the Rangers "send down" 4 players with the intent of having them in Hartford during the playoffs) is re-calling a player to evaluate their play in the NHL.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The four call-ups don't count bringing up a player to replace an injured one. What is does prevent (if the Rangers "send down" 4 players with the intent of having them in Hartford during the playoffs) is re-calling a player to evaluate their play in the NHL.
I know. That's what I'm saying. If we made paper transactions to send four guys down, what we have down the stretch is the option of those four guys as call-ups or someone else as an injury call-up. It just limits flexibility. If we did that and then wanted to look at Rykov or Kravtsov if we fell out of the race we'd only be able to bring them up in the event someone was injured.

That's why I think they make one or two paper transactions and then leave the other two for flexibility.

Reactions: Brooklyn Ranger

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Huska is beyond miserable in stopping penalty shots / shootout attempts.
Who was it, Biron? That always played stand-up in those situations and you knew it was going five hole?

Huska has struggled big time, basically since Shesterkin left it feels like.

Reactions: Osminator

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Thanks JB
Yes the Pack arent the same team who dominated the season's first 6 weeks, and of course Shesty was a huge part of that.
But other key early season guys were also absent last night.

If Friday's lineup had featured Chytil, PdG, Nieves, Lindgren and Keane, along w Igor, you might seen a more competitive Pack.

Right now they're a shallow team. Gauthier likely joins soon.
Maybe TDL brings some help.
(?Howden finally?)
And come March they begin adding UDFAs, and drafted ATOs like Robertson,
Maybe Tarmo swings back

But for near term,
they need to be better w who they have,
they need more clutch saves,
they need more from Hajek and Rykov,
much much more from all the young Fs - Krav, Getts/Gropp/Ronning, Jones/Elmer/Newell

The early success gives them a nice cushion, but now they need to win w this lineup down the stretch

Agreed. Newell has a couple of nice chances in the 3rd, but didn’t really do much anywhere else. Ronning has the speed to grind, but he gets bumped off the puck a lot and has that junior styled offense still.

They definitely need a boost, but I think they just need to shoot the puck on net more. Most of their opportunities missed the net, even with screens in front. They have to connect.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Thanks for the analysis JB!

I’m at the game tonight and I can’t say that anyone is standing out for me, either. Hajek is disappointing, he should have been clearing the crease on their second goal. Wish he looked more dominant at this level. Kravtsov’s line with Fogarty has had some good pressure, but Kravtsov has had some dangerous turnovers as well.

Yeah Hajek was okay Friday night. Wasn’t good wasn’t bad. Would’ve wanted him to do more, TBH.

You could see Kravtsov’s potential when watching him. He’s got great athleticism, but he’s a kid playing against men, mostly prepared for an AHL game (if that makes sense). I think he needs to get stronger and faster skating wise and then you’ll start to see the production. Kid is only 20 so he’s got time. Think also playing consistently on North American ice will help, too.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
LoVerde (I think?) trips in OT and the Penguins get a breakaway going the other way. Lettieri trips up the Penguins player on the breakaway and it’s a penalty shot. Huska can’t stop it and the Pack lose 4-3 in OT.

Something is not right with LoVerde. NYR needs to give him a rest.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I said early in the season that they should have tried to pull a guy away from Europe, a 4A guy, to supplement the team. This is why. The Hartford roster was really balanced, but also filled with guys that you knew would eventually be called up (or injured, or Andersson, etc.).

EDIT: Zolnierczyk would have been helpful if he didn't retire or whatever.

Reactions: Joey Bones

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
note about a recent HWP player -
Ottawa has been running out of d-men -
just saw a note that Hubert LaBrie had been put on waivers
before today the guy had never had an NHL contract,
so it seems Ottawa is signing him to an NHL deal to play;
I may not have this CBA detail precisely right, but adding a veteran (any pro career) after season starts, who hadn't been signed and in your org already, requires waivers before he can be added
(some may recall that, when Zucc returned from KHL, this was NOT needed, because he had been tendered a QO)

also TML put Tymashov on waivers, i guess to demote him,
wasn't he included in various Georgiev, etc trade proposals by TML and NYR posters...?

Reactions: egelband

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I believe trading for Berube probably puts to bed that Shesterkin goes down at any point, including playoffs.

Hartford losing Nieves has hurt them a lot. He's an important player for them and sets up their down the middle depth well. Wouldn't be surprised that they start playing well when he gets back in.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
Pack are up 2-1 so far today. As @Don Chytil mentioned, Kravtsov with an assist on a Lettieri goal. 8 points in his last 11 games.

Kravtsov has settled in really well after a rocky start. The 8 points in his last 11 games would place him 14th among U21 forwards behind Norris, Kotkaniemi, Chytil, Hayton, Farabee, Glass, Formenton, Tippett, Comtois, Elvenes, Studnicka, Vilardi, and Zadina. Basically those are all guys who have either broken into the NHL or are knocking on the door. The guys right behind (Frost, Robertson, and Rasmussen) are pretty good too. 11 games is obviously a small sample, but the eye test has also looked pretty good to me and it makes sense it would take Kravtsov a couple games to adjust to a NA style of play and get used to playing with new teammates. On top of the impressive production, he's been playing a complete / two-way game. I'm not sure he's physically ready to step into the NHL right this minute, but the evidence seems to be building that he's on track to become a pretty good NHL player.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Hartford losing Nieves has hurt them a lot. He's an important player for them and sets up their down the middle depth well. Wouldn't be surprised that they start playing well when he gets back in.

Getting Rykov back will help, too. Should take Geertsen out of the lineup, who is just spectacularly bad at playing hockey.

Reactions: Mandar and JimmyG89

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I will say that Ho-Sang’s offensive talent has been fun to watch in this game. Especially on their power play. But yeah, terrible defending on that one.

Gettinger draws a penalty now as well. He’s been very impressive today.

Gettinger is overlooked often, but he's still young and his game has gotten better at the AHL level this season. His size is interesting for the bottom 6 moving forward, and maybe he could be a net front of PP2 if he puts it together.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Kravtsov was playing really well for a while and the pts weren’t coming. Now they are. He’s back. He lost a few months but this is the guy we expected.

I think he’s called up after this deadline shakes out

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Kravtsov was playing really well for a while and the pts weren’t coming. Now they are. He’s back. He lost a few months but this is the guy we expected.

I think he’s called up after this deadline shakes out

What is completely essential to remember regarding Kravtsov is that (1) he has big challenges in certain areas, and that he is really good in other areas that he just does not get to utilize much in the AHL. The top guys in the NHL, be it Marchand and Pasternak or Ziba and Panarin, plays the game a certain way that is all about never giving the puck away until you have a good scoring chance, and to utilize very high caliber individual plays to keep it within the team. For this type of style to pay off -- everyone must be on the same page. Like everyone can figure out that its pretty meaningless to have a forward that can pull of a fantastic move in the corner to come out with the puck against three guys, if another forward that is passed the puck after that play just dumps it on net ASAP on a low percentage play.

Kravtsov has potential to play that style of game. And with all due respect to his teammates in the AHL, they are playing "4th line hockey" all the time.

So I definitely think Kravy can develop in the AHL, i.e. in the areas that he faces challenges in, at least for a while. Probably not more than a year, but that should be enough. But his production in the AHL doesn't at all have to reflect his potential.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad