Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL)/Maine Mariners (ECHL) Thread: Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I could see Gorton doing Beleskey a solid and bringing him up as a 4th liner for 10-15 games. The guy has played hard down in the AHL. Probably Fogarty as well

I thought that post-deadline teams were limited in their roster moves. Assuming that the Rangers miss the playoffs and Hartford, wouldn't they want to give Kakko, Shesterkin etc playoff experience.

I doubt they'd waste those moves bringing up tweeners.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Rykov is out again tonight. Would be nice to know what is going on. Could be sick, could be hurt. Don't know. Hopefully it's not healthy scratches.

Fogarty is with O'Regan and Kravtsov to begin the night, so another top line assignment for Kravtsov. Looks like Lettieri is in at center with Beleskey and Newell. Jones is with Dmowski and Gettinger. 4th line is Ronning with McBride and Gropp

Keane is playing tonight after being in Columbus last night. D pairings look the same, except Ebert is back in for Crawley.

Missing Nieves is forcing Lettieri into the middle. Not sure how effective he will be in that role.

McCollum is in nets after Huska was in last night.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Phantoms up 1-0 early. McCollum was slow reacting to a puck that was shot wide and rebounded out the other side. Shot wasn't from that close, maybe 25 feet out.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Pack tie the game at 1. Ronning with a wrister that was hard for Lyons to handle, popped up high and I think McBride cleaned it up in front of the net.

4th line chipping in with a goal after the Wolfpack were caved in for the 1st period. Shots were 14-4 after 1.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Pack tie it at 2. Nick Jones with some nice hand-eye on this one. Keane with an assist on the play

Jones has been one of the more visible players tonight. Beginning to think he might get an ELC at the end of the season.

Reactions: Ola and egelband

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
NYR are gonna botch the Nick Jones situation aren’t they? Not like it would be some tragedy, but he seems like he would be much more useful than 2/3 of our current 4th line.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
NYR are gonna botch the Nick Jones situation aren’t they? Not like it would be some tragedy, but he seems like he would be much more useful than 2/3 of our current 4th line.

Upside looks like a solid 4th line player. He is 23, turning 24 this summer. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'm not sure there is much more than that.

That being said, an ELC this summer or qualifying guys like Gropp. Plus Hartford will be losing guys like Beleskey and maybe Nieves and some others.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Pretty eventful OT, but no goals. Shootout time. Hope to see Kravtsov go

EDIT: He went and he fanned on the shot......

Reactions: RGY

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hard to know what's going on with Jones. He might be one of those guys that wants to go elsewhere like JAM. Or wanted to sign an AHL deal to build up for a better, shorter ELC knowing he'd be in the AHL this year anyway. No one has really written anything on him or covered him, so who knows. I'd be really surprised if the Rangers didn't want to sign him as since TCT he was clearly the best of the Elmer, Newell, McBride, LZG, etc. group.

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hard to know what's going on with Jones. He might be one of those guys that wants to go elsewhere like JAM. Or wanted to sign an AHL deal to build up for a better, shorter ELC knowing he'd be in the AHL this year anyway. No one has really written anything on him or covered him, so who knows. I'd be really surprised if the Rangers didn't want to sign him as since TCT he was clearly the best of the Elmer, Newell, McBride, LZG, etc. group.

Marchessault came out of the CHL and was either 20 or 21 as a rookie in Hartford and he was a scorer. He put up a lot of points for Hartford the year he was there. Jones is 23 and if he were to make it it would be as a bottom 6 checker. Teams need guys like Jones for sure but we were sitting on DiGiuseppe most of the season and he kind of can fit into that checking role too. There are all kinds and sometimes a player just needs an opportunity and that can come from an injury or it might not come at all. I wouldn't mind the Rangers signing Jones but it's not a huge deal to me because there are always guys like that to be found. It's a lot harder to find the Marchessault's who go undrafted and then turn into big time players.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Marchessault came out of the CHL and was either 20 or 21 as a rookie in Hartford and he was a scorer. He put up a lot of points for Hartford the year he was there. Jones is 23 and if he were to make it it would be as a bottom 6 checker. Teams need guys like Jones for sure but we were sitting on DiGiuseppe most of the season and he kind of can fit into that checking role too. There are all kinds and sometimes a player just needs an opportunity and that can come from an injury or it might not come at all. I wouldn't mind the Rangers signing Jones but it's not a huge deal to me because there are always guys like that to be found. It's a lot harder to find the Marchessault's who go undrafted and then turn into big time players.
Yeah I didn't mean to necessarily compare Jones to Marchessault as players, just that you don't know what a guy was looking for. Marchessault was a scorer in the Q but he wasn't thought of as a priority UDFA signing or anything. Jones was one of the better college UDFAs but similarly not a big time guy. I don't actually think Jones would have turned down an ELC like Marchessault, but it's just the whole "who knows what this guy is really looking for" type of thing. Marchessault also took a number of years to actually catch on whereas Jones looks like he's close to being ready to step into a fourth line role (which given his age, you'd hope).

Not signing him wouldn't be a huge deal, but we've struggled a bit developing our own fourth line guys. Given that the commitment to Jones would be minimal, you'd hope we'd try, since he already looks better than a Newell or Elmer.

Reactions: eco's bones and Ola

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah I didn't mean to necessarily compare Jones to Marchessault as players, just that you don't know what a guy was looking for. Marchessault was a scorer in the Q but he wasn't thought of as a priority UDFA signing or anything. Jones was one of the better college UDFAs but similarly not a big time guy. I don't actually think Jones would have turned down an ELC like Marchessault, but it's just the whole "who knows what this guy is really looking for" type of thing. Marchessault also took a number of years to actually catch on whereas Jones looks like he's close to being ready to step into a fourth line role (which given his age, you'd hope).

Not signing him wouldn't be a huge deal, but we've struggled a bit developing our own fourth line guys. Given that the commitment to Jones would be minimal, you'd hope we'd try, since he already looks better than a Newell or Elmer.

It might have had something to do with how many contracts we had and the Rangers seem to like to have a couple spots open. We'd signed Elmer but Elmer was a younger guy. It seems to me a guy like JAM--more often that kind of player doesn't work out but when it does--Martin St. Louis was kind of like that guy many years ago. And the Rangers brought in a slew of college free agents with Jones---Zerter-Gossage, Dmowski, McBride have all spent significant time in Hartford this year. Jones has spent the whole year and worked out best of the bunch for sure. The Rangers have had their successes going this route. People hated on Pionk for a couple years but really that was a great signing.

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
And with their 3-1 win against Newfoundland (ordinarily their Kryptonite), the Mariners till remain in 4th place. Tied with 3rd-place Brampton and 2 points behind 2nd-place Reading, but these teams have games in hand. Maine has a nine point lead on the team trailing them for a playoff spot with 20 games left.

Reactions: Osminator

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
With the win last night, the Pack are back in 1st in the Division. Tied in points with Hershey, but with a game in hand.

Hope the Pack make the playoffs so we have something Rangers related to watch in April, would be awesome if MSG paid just for the rights to broadcast the AHL feed on MSG, I know they won't though haha.

Reactions: bl02

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It might have been reported, but Rykov is a scratched with an upper-body injury according to Howlins.

"Yegor Rykov – (Upper-Body) For the fourth time in the last five games is just about ready to return to action."

(no title)

Reactions: JimmyG89

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Kravtsov’s play has markedly improved and Knoblauch thinks brighter days are ahead for the Russian rookie.
“He is in a really good spot right now. He is cheerful and working hard getting used to the North American rink. He’s realizing there is not as much room out there. It’s tighter space. The rinks are smaller and he will get hit more often. When you make the turn there isn’t that extra space, it just the boards. He understands it better now (systems and playing style) and is starting to make a positive impact on our lineup. He’s played both the left and the right side. With Fogarty back, he has shifted to the right side.”

Vitali Kravtsov

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

Remember JAM?

Should get a two way deal and call up in a week

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
JAM was almost a PPG in the year he was on Hartford

Jones has like 16 in 50 games

Don’t think they’re comparable at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events