Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL)/Maine Mariners (ECHL) Thread: Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Huska was the first star despite Fogarty having 2+2.

Fogarty, by the way, after his ice cold start, has 17 points in his last 13 games.

Actually it was Fogarty-1st, Andersson-2nd, Huska-3rd. It's weird but they always slot the third guy in first--he drops to second as soon as they slot in the second star in the first slot and then the first is named and the other two drop again. It's the website.

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Huska was the first star despite Fogarty having 2+2.

Fogarty, by the way, after his ice cold start, has 17 points in his last 13 games.

Wonder if the 4th line can't figure it out if he'll get a shot at some point. He is the captain, but if he's producing like this, might be worth having him on the 4th line at some point

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Wonder if the 4th line can't figure it out if he'll get a shot at some point. He is the captain, but if he's producing like this, might be worth having him on the 4th line at some point
Yeah I'd give him another look. They liked him enough to give him a QO instead of just trying to sign him to an AHL deal, so I would think he's still somewhere on the radar. I mean you gotta think Nieves is about out of chances to stick.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Actually it was Fogarty-1st, Andersson-2nd, Huska-3rd. It's weird but they always slot the third guy in first--he drops to second as soon as they slot in the second star in the first slot and then the first is named and the other two drop again. It's the website.
Weird. Thanks for the correction though. I only caught a little and Huska was good, but I didn't see anything to make me think he'd be the first star.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Weird. Thanks for the correction though. I only caught a little and Huska was good, but I didn't see anything to make me think he'd be the first star.

They always do that. It goes:

1. Huska

Then:

1. Andersson
2. Huska

And finally:

1. Fogarty
2. Andersson
3. Huska

Reactions: nyr2k2

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Said it would take the Pack coach 10 games to unscrew Quinn's atrocious coaching of Lias. It's been 7 so far. Wish the Pack actually had some young, offensive talent there at forward to go with Andersson.

Reactions: Ola

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Fun fact. Hartford has the 3rd least amount of goals allowed so far this season. They also are in the bottom third for goals scored (goal differential of +4).

Not to sustainable long term.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Sick game by Lias. 4 goals in 7 games isn’t bad.

Fogarty deserves a call-up.

I think it would be best to keep Andersson down in the AHL the remainder of the season, unless there are injuries/trades that force the Rangers hand. Let him keep building his confidence, hopefully get a nice playoff run in him and have a full head of steam coming into next season.

I would like to see Fogarty get a cup of coffee on the 4th line.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think it would be best to keep Andersson down in the AHL the remainder of the season, unless there are injuries/trades that force the Rangers hand. Let him keep building his confidence, hopefully get a nice playoff run in him and have a full head of steam coming into next season.

i agree with this. Only exception being after the deadline if there are too-9 spots available

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Yeah for sure. Honestly, I think the kid in a sense has been rushed since he played for HV71. Remember that he played 22 games in the SHL as a D-2 player. The kid is mentally mature but the motor hasn’t been there for the levels he has played in. He has more or less played over his head since 2015.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I watched a good chunk of last two games. A few thoughts.

1 - Tried to watch Rykov as much as possible. He's still working off the rust and getting into game shape. But what has surprised me is that he's got decent skill. Good passer. He's a big kid who has a hunched over skating style. Seems pretty agile and pretty nifty along the blue line but his straight ahead speed is ok. He's not particularly physical so far which surprised me given his size. He often sneaks down and gets involved offensively. And just impressed with his overall vision. He did make some risky passes in his own zone in his first game, but i think that seems to be a function of his vision, not so much throwing a pass blindly. He's a big upgrade for the Wolf Pack. It's hard to tell what would hold him back from making it to the NHL - curious to see how his game translates to NHL speed. And curious to see how he fares at the next level as compared to Hajek. They're similar. Hajek is a faster skater. But Rykov is a more creative player.

2 - Lias. Lias is starting to get to the right areas a little better. But the big thing with him is skating and pressure. DQ wants players who pressure the other team, force turnovers, take the puck north and push the pace. Lias plays a more passive game. He seems to prefer to be the high man in the offensive zone. I don't think that's going to work for DQ. If he stays with NYR, he's going to have to figure out a skaters game. Not a read and react game. Also, and I'm not sure what happened, but Lias seems to be a little weak(er) along the boards. He's losing too many of these battles that I thought he was winning in pre-season and at the beginning of the year. I don't know if it's will or if he's trying to stickhandle his way around AHLers. But it's not working that well. Finally, one of the big things Lias needs to fix in the A is not treating the puck like a hot potato. He needs to help the team retain possession. He needs to find a happy medium between when to chip the puck, when to make a 5-ft pass and when to just skate with it. Right now, at the NHL level, a big thing holding Lias back is, he often doesn't feel like he has the option of skating the puck past an opposing forward. If you look at all the other centers on the big club, they do that with more regularity than Lias. Which limits his options to getting rid of the puck -- either a pass to a teammate or to dump it. And makes him easier to defend. But until he legit has that option he cease to have a consistent job in the NHL. It all comes to down to skating and growing his abilities and confidence in those abilities. Because, his stick-handling, his vision and even his shot are not holding him back. He needs to stay in the A for a while.

3 - Keane continues to impress. Continues to improve defensively and is a threat offensively. And his game isn't filled with cheating and risk. He's on the cusp.

4 - Shesty is ready. Just makes one or two saves a game that make you go wow. stopped a 2 on 0 on Friday. And Huska has been quietly strong. Not as flashy but steady.

5 - Fogarty -- does he need to clear waivers to come up for a cup of coffee? He deserves a ton of credit. And has a bit more intelligence to his game than some of the other vets.

Finally, to go to back to Lias for a moment. I do find it interesting that the timing of his demotion to the A was around the same timing as the news of the Pool Party trade falling through. I believe the Rangers were keeping up Lias longer than they might have otherwise because they thought it was better for his value to be in the NHL. If that trade wasn't brewing perhaps Lias could have been down a month earlier. It certainly would have been better for his confidence.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Nieves today plays his 4th game in 4 nights. He played against Columbus on the 5th--Springfield on the 6th--Binghamton last night on the 7th and today he's in the lineup against Providence on the 8th and he's assisted on the first goal of the game by Patrick Newell.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Fogarty does good work where he is helping the AHL team succeed IMO. That 5-7 minutes a game on the 4th should be McKegg terrirory.

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
In Maine's win tonight Elmer with two goals and Gropp and Ronning with one apiece.

Elmer's scored 10 goals so far. Ronning has 7 points in 5 games for Maine. Gropp has 7 points in 9 games for Maine. Leedahl is still injured. Crawley is back from injury and scored an assist. Leedahl is still out.

Attendance in Portland was 2749 for Saturday night game. I don't know how the Mariners will survive past this season if they can't get their average attendance over at least 3000.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad