Confirmed with Link: Hartford AC Gord Murphy will take Lindy Ruff's place on bench for playoffs

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
or imagine a coach that encourages them to smash anything that moves in the defensive zone. That is what I want to see.

Sounds like you put a great amount of thought into coming up with a soundproof defensive strategy.

I’m convinced.

hockey_hulk.jpg

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Not really surprised by this. You couldn't expect Ruff to be singularly focused knowing he's got a new assignment on the horizon. Best to just let him leave now.

I don't expect any dramatic changes to how we play, not with a short play-in series and then heading right into the playoffs. Murphy may try to change some minor things, but I'd be surprised if they did anything drastic.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Good decision. I wonder what they decide in the off-season. I still hope they add a veteran coach to this young coaching staff, expecting Gord Murphy to go back to Hartford.

But seeing fans rejoice thinking our defense will be stellar now that Ruff is gone, is hilarious. We still have Marc Staal and Brendan Smith on defense :laugh:
literally nobody said our defense will be stellar with Ruff gone

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Plus its rejoiceful to see the Devils yet again screw up with making Ruff their HC. The only years he was solid was bc of the best goalie ever in Hasek.

Wasn't he the head coach with that team that had drury and briere?

Miller was the goalie then I think?

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I am curious how effective he will be on the bench with the players considering he missed the entire regular season and has no realpreal on the locker room, hasn't been involved with implementing the system, etc. Strange situation.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I am curious how effective he will be on the bench with the players considering he missed the entire regular season and has no realpreal on the locker room, hasn't been involved with implementing the system, etc. Strange situation.

if hartford and the rangers don't implement the same system we have bigger issues...the same way that makes the transition easier for the players it should work for the coach too. and its not like he's going to be teaching anyone anything new during the 3-5 games we play

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
if hartford and the rangers don't implement the same system we have bigger issues...the same way that makes the transition easier for the players it should work for the coach too. and its not like he's going to be teaching anyone anything new during the 3-5 games we play
Of course they have similar or identical systems, but he hasn't been involved with preaching it to the big leaguers. I question how seriously some of these guys are going to take him

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Wasn't he the head coach with that team that had drury and briere?

Miller was the goalie then I think?

Miller was a rookie in 2002-2003 season. He didn't become the true #1 until 2005-2006 seaon

Hasak was with buffalo from 1992-93 season until 2000-2001 season.

The Stanley cup finals that buffalo made was in 1998-1999 season. That was Peca and Satan era.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Good decision. I wonder what they decide in the off-season. I still hope they add a veteran coach to this young coaching staff, expecting Gord Murphy to go back to Hartford.

But seeing fans rejoice thinking our defense will be stellar now that Ruff is gone, is hilarious. We still have Marc Staal and Brendan Smith on defense :laugh:

I’d add that the simple fact that the team can so nonchalantly release and replace their “Defense coach” says it all.

For better or for worse, Ruff’s influence on the defense’s performance is ultimately negligible.

He’s a veteran hockey guy who helps Quinn run the team, run the bench, run practices, probably deliver news to players.

If people are keen to judge Lindy Ruff’s coaching acumen, his stint or era in NJ will tell the tale.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Was hoping they'd give Brown ahold of the reins full time because...well...he's a PK/Defense coach...

Maybe this is just for playoffs and Brown will lead while Murphy splits bench/eye in the sky

compare them side by side:

Brown 100 NHL games played, in NHL coached only under Quinn, outside NHL only under Jerry York

Murphy 915 NHL games played, coached only in NHL and AHL under the following coaches: Doug MacLean, Gallant, Agnew(5 games), Hitchcock, Noel, DeBoer, Dineen, Berube, Hakstol, Gordon, and Knoblauch. This is a very impressive resume.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->