Hart History Being Made?

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by Hawkey Town 18, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Hawkey Town 18

Hawkey Town 18 Registered User

After a quick scan of the Award Voting Thread, I could not find a single season where all 3 Hart finalists were wingers. That would make this year the first time it has EVER happened with Corey Perry, Marty St. Louis, and Daniel Sedin being named finalists earlier today.

Can anyone confirm this?

2. seventieslord

seventieslord Student Of The Game

I can't confirm this. But, I will point out something that is probably even more of an amomaly:

in 1999-2000, the top three scorers in the league were RWs, and then Kariya was 4th, and then three more RWs rounding out the top-7.

four of those 6 made the top-7 in hart voting: Jagr was 2nd, Bure 3rd, Nolan 5th, and Recchi 7th. Selanne and Amonte were shut out.

3. Loto68

Loto68 Registered User

Just a little scary, of course, after those top 7 scorers, the next three, Modano, Sakic, and Yzerman were all centers. Before I looked at the numbers I actually said to myself, what if not a single center put up a point per game, but all three did. In fact Sakic scored at a 1.35 points per game pace, easily number two to Jagr, though the gap between Jagr and Sakic was even bigger than the game between Sakic and Bure in terms of point per game pace.

4. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

The wingers thing is so uncommon because there almost always is a center who is among the top 3 if not the winner. This includes recent names like Lemieux, Gretzky, Crosby, Malkin, Sakic, Forsberg, etc. topping the charts with the exception of Malkin winning it at least once

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  5. vadim sharifijanov

vadim sharifijanov ugh

Home Page:
    nope, this has never happened before. there were a few years of howe and bathgate in the top three, and a whole bunch of years of howe and hull in the top three, but never three wingers at the top.