The Athletic - Boston Harry Sinden and Bruce Cassidy form a tight bond

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Coaching five decades apart, Harry Sinden and Bruce Cassidy...

Cassidy, for his part, has been eager to lean on Sinden for advice.

“We talk hockey and I respect his opinion,” Cassidy said. “He never oversteps his bounds and always answers the phone when I call. It’s been good. Because he’s coached I like talking to him. You talk about coaching a coach, there’s a guy in a roundabout way who has helped me since I’ve been here.”

Cassidy knows how indebted he is to Sinden, who helped create the Bruins culture five decades ago that persists to this day. The team is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the 1969-70 Sinden-led Stanley Cup team this week with a series of virtual events since the NHL is on hiatus due to COVID-19.

Sinden helmed that rough-and-tumble Stanley Cup squad and was later general manager of the other big, bad Bruins teams of the 1970s. The attitudes pioneered on those groups remained a part of the team culture even after the initial players had moved on, through the presence of players such as Terry O’Reilly, on to Cam Neely, and eventually down to today thanks to the efforts of Zdeno Chara & Co. Sinden sees it as one long continuum, the story of a strong organization that understands and continues to live its history.

“Every year I can remember of the 50 years we’re talking about was an absolute thrill to me,” Sinden said. “If you don’t win 50 Stanley Cups, and only win 49, you’re disappointed, so we didn’t win enough Cups, but we were a tremendous contending team with the players we had through the years.”

Sinden was the coach of the Bruins from 1966 to 1970, and again for two brief stints in 1979-80 and 1984-85, but he may be most remembered for his 28 years as general manager and his 18 as team president. He understands the intense scrutiny that comes with working in Boston. In order to function in that environment, a team needs a strong work ethic and a badass attitude.

That’s Sinden’s philosophy for a winning team.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Coaching five decades apart, Harry Sinden and Bruce Cassidy...

Cassidy, for his part, has been eager to lean on Sinden for advice.

“We talk hockey and I respect his opinion,” Cassidy said. “He never oversteps his bounds and always answers the phone when I call. It’s been good. Because he’s coached I like talking to him. You talk about coaching a coach, there’s a guy in a roundabout way who has helped me since I’ve been here.”

Cassidy knows how indebted he is to Sinden, who helped create the Bruins culture five decades ago that persists to this day. The team is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the 1969-70 Sinden-led Stanley Cup team this week with a series of virtual events since the NHL is on hiatus due to COVID-19.

Sinden helmed that rough-and-tumble Stanley Cup squad and was later general manager of the other big, bad Bruins teams of the 1970s. The attitudes pioneered on those groups remained a part of the team culture even after the initial players had moved on, through the presence of players such as Terry O’Reilly, on to Cam Neely, and eventually down to today thanks to the efforts of Zdeno Chara & Co. Sinden sees it as one long continuum, the story of a strong organization that understands and continues to live its history.

“Every year I can remember of the 50 years we’re talking about was an absolute thrill to me,” Sinden said. “If you don’t win 50 Stanley Cups, and only win 49, you’re disappointed, so we didn’t win enough Cups, but we were a tremendous contending team with the players we had through the years.”

Sinden was the coach of the Bruins from 1966 to 1970, and again for two brief stints in 1979-80 and 1984-85, but he may be most remembered for his 28 years as general manager and his 18 as team president. He understands the intense scrutiny that comes with working in Boston. In order to function in that environment, a team needs a strong work ethic and a badass attitude.

That’s Sinden’s philosophy for a winning team.

If Cassidy can learn from Sinden -- as coach -- fine.

If Cassidy looks to Sinden as an exemplar of what it means to be a GM, no.

I hate Harry.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
What a puff piece for Sinden. The guy would frequently badmouth players to the press and do so disrespectfully. He blamed the players for wanting league comparable deals. He didn't understand that the business had changed and players deserved a bigger piece of the pie.

He seemed to take it personally and lashed out because of it.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
What a puff piece for Sinden. The guy would frequently badmouth players to the press and do so disrespectfully. He blamed the players for wanting league comparable deals. He didn't understand that the business had changed and players deserved a bigger piece of the pie.

He seemed to take it personally and lashed out because of it.

What got my goat among other things was this asshat quit the team because the Bruins wouldn't pay him what he wanted to be paid. Talk about gall- when it came time to negotiate with players who deserved a raise he would try and frequently succeed in stiffing them. For f***'s sake he took Ray Bourque to arbitration....

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
What got my goat among other things was this asshat quit the team because the Bruins wouldn't pay him what he wanted to be paid. Talk about gall- when it came time to negotiate with players who deserved a raise he would try and frequently succeed in stiffing them. For f***'s sake he took Ray Bourque to arbitration....

Yep.

If Mr. Burns is cheap, Sinden was somehow cheaper, and stingier of spirit (if that is possible).

I'm sure the guy was a great coach, and at one time, a wily GM. I'm equally certain he was, and remains, a prick.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

It seemed like he just couldn't accept players making millions. The old timers worked the farms in the summer... that type of thing.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Ugh...

I thought he had been put out to pasture. The Bruins didn’t seriously contend after the 1970s until Sinden and his kind were swept out like dust from the garage.

His defense first, win 0-0, grit trumps skill 10 times out of 9, loser mentality had to go. I don’t want him anywhere near the Bruins. Thanks for the 1970 Stanley Cup and the Summit Series, but it’s time to move on, Harry.

Reactions: Number8 and BMC

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Ugh...

I thought he had been put out to pasture. The Bruins didn’t seriously contend after the 1970s until Sinden and his kind were swept out like dust from the garage.

His defense first, win 0-0, grit trumps skill 10 times out of 9, loser mentality had to go. I don’t want him anywhere near the Bruins. Thanks for the 1970 Stanley Cup and the Summit Series, but it’s time to move on, Harry.

Wow, this is so wrong.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Ok.

If I’m wrong, please put me on the right path.

Sinden's teams were actually offense first. Forecheck the hell out of the opponent, keep the puck deep, don't let them get out of the zone. When Bourque came in and quickly reached his prime, the Bruins had excellent defensive teams because Bourque was playing over half the game, not because it was defense first. Not until Pat Burns was hired did the B's become a defense first team. And that was because the previous season the Bruins were the worst defensive team in the league. I don't think Sinden was very happy with the Burns teams.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Harry was one frugal GM and his drafting / trades he made will always be questioned.
Some of the bad ones include:
Drafting Kluzak #1 overall, we should have taken Bellows or Stevens would have been nice!!
Trading Juneau for Iafrate, when Big Al was damaged goods.
Trading O'Connell for Secord, I hated this trade so much and Secord goes on to play on the first line with Savard and score 50 goals ( 40 goals 2x)

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Sinden's teams were actually offense first. Forecheck the hell out of the opponent, keep the puck deep, don't let them get out of the zone. When Bourque came in and quickly reached his prime, the Bruins had excellent defensive teams because Bourque was playing over half the game, not because it was defense first. Not until Pat Burns was hired did the B's become a defense first team. And that was because the previous season the Bruins were the worst defensive team in the league. I don't think Sinden was very happy with the Burns teams.

Which was classic Sinden given Burns got as much, and likely more, than anyone could have from the talent his GM and President gave him.

Reactions: BMC

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Harry was one frugal GM and his drafting / trades he made will always be questioned.
Some of the bad ones include:
Drafting Kluzak #1 overall, we should have taken Bellows or Stevens would have been nice!!
Trading Juneau for Iafrate, when Big Al was damaged goods.
Trading O'Connell for Secord, I hated this trade so much and Secord goes on to play on the first line with Savard and score 50 goals ( 40 goals 2x)

GM for over 28 years. Bound to make some bad moves.

Anyway, Kluzak would have been a great pick if he didn't get injured.

When Secord was traded he hadn't done much yet. Playing with Savard helped him produce. But Mike O'Connell was very good for the Bruins for the next 5 seasons.

Last edited:

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
GM for over 28 years. Bound to make some bad moves.

Anyway, Kluzak would have been a great pick if he didn't get injured.

When Secord was traded he hadn't done much yet. Playing with Savard helped him produce. But Mike O'Connell was very good for the Bruins for the next 5 seasons.

secord was only 21 and was only getting better when he was traded. He was tough as nails, would have been a great Bruins for a long time.

Harry loved the local guys for some reason, but usually not the right ones...

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
After reading that article I looked up
Some of the players who held out/walked away from.

dafoe, Allison, kristich, Never really did much after they left so he wasn’t wrong there. Probably would have been a good gm in the cap era.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
secord was only 21 and was only getting better when he was traded. He was tough as nails, would have been a great Bruins for a long time.

Harry loved the local guys for some reason, but usually not the right ones...

Secord was 22 when he was traded.

He had 3 assists in 18 games to that point in the season for the Bruins.

He retired at the age of 31, the same year O'Connell did.

O'Connell wasn't a local guy. He was from Chicago.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If Cassidy can learn from Sinden -- as coach -- fine.

If Cassidy looks to Sinden as an exemplar of what it means to be a GM, no.

I hate Harry.
Bruins fan since 1970. I agree 100% with you. People will always remember a couple of deals that were fantastic -- and credit where credit is due, they were fantastic outcomes. But I remember the overwhelming day to day grinding down of players, the arbitration hearings for superstar players who gave more than they ever got, the denigration, the whole atmosphere of "it's a privilege to play for Boston, if you don't want to sign deals I say you will then go f*** yourself". I despised the Sinden/Papa Jacobs combination. Toxic.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Secord was 22 when he was traded.

He had 3 assists in 18 games to that point in the season for the Bruins.

He retired at the age of 31, the same year O'Connell did.

O'Connell wasn't a local guy. He was from Chicago.

He grew up in Cohasett MA and went to High SChool at Archies in Braintree.

He may have been born in Chicago, but he grew up I’m Massachusetts.

21 or 22 - he was a young tough guy who was getting better and had improved from year one. Not sure assists would be the way to judge his game.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He grew up in Cohasett MA and went to High SChool at Archies in Braintree.

He may have been born in Chicago, but he grew up I’m Massachusetts.

21 or 22 - he was a young tough guy who was getting better and had improved from year one. Not sure assists would be the way to judge his game.

I stand corrected. Played juniors for Kingston in OHL so I saw no connection to Mass. Very lazy of me, my apologies.

Secord had zero goals and 3 assists in 18 games the year he was traded. In his 3rd season, that doesn't translate to getting better. He had 23 goals the year before.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I stand corrected. Played juniors for Kingston in OHL so I saw no connection to Mass. Very lazy of me, my apologies.

Secord had zero goals and 3 assists in 18 games the year he was traded. In his 3rd season, that doesn't translate to getting better. He had 23 goals the year before.

I hated the trade when it happened, I hated it when they were playing and I hate it now.

trading a guy because of a slow start in his third season is so Harry.

He got a good player in return, but Secord was better...

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I hated the trade when it happened, I hated it when they were playing and I hate it now.

trading a guy because of a slow start in his third season is so Harry.

He got a good player in return, but Secord was better...

I don't think he traded Secord because he was off to a bad start. I think he wanted O'Connell.

Secord was a 4th liner behind Cashman, Marcotte and Jonathan that season. Leveille and Dufour were LWs drafted the year before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad