Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
ACC1224 said:
yep two of the best in the business
Of course youd say that, they only know Leaf games so their comments are basied around that.

Instead of "Handzus steals the puck off McCabe", its always "and McCabe turns the puck over to the Flyers"

They have to say that because theyre senile and dont even know opposition names but you dont care because the commentary is gear towards the Leafs (or Canada when they play).

I get dozens of different feeds and they are the worst commentary team and they are on a par with Strachan, Mcguire etc for being annoying.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Steve L said:
Of course youd say that, they only know Leaf games so their comments are basied around that.

Instead of "Handzus steals the puck off McCabe", its always "and McCabe turns the puck over to the Flyers"

They have to say that because theyre senile and dont even know opposition names but you dont care because the commentary is gear towards the Leafs (or Canada when they play).

I get dozens of different feeds and they are the worst commentary team and they are on a par with Strachan, Mcguire etc for being annoying.

I guess you just don't understand the game enough and need the commentators to help you along. For myself it's just familiar background noise.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
ACC1224 said:
if you worry that much about your tax dollars there are many more ways they are wasted then on a living legend like Harry.

why were you so upset thinking Ryan Smyth was leaving the ice when I'm sure most watching knew it was a Russian? Maybe if you paid a little more attention to the game you would get so hissy, just a thought.

You can speak for yourself when you call harry a "living legend"

And if you think that this is the only case where I got a little irked by Harry, you're sadly mistaken.

He confuses me because I look at the TV, and I'm thinking to myself, that was a russian that left the ice, how can it be smyth. Then I ask my buddies around me if I am mistaken. Multiply that by 100 and it gets to be irrititating to second guess yourself. There's just too much confusion.

I dont know if he is losing his sight or what but it needs to end.

I haven't listened to neale recently because CBC only shows leaf games nowadays for the 1st game of the twin bills. If I paid more attention to leaf games, I would have brought this up a long time ago. I only watch the leafs when they are playing the habs. I dont really pay attention to the commentators when the habs are playing because I'm so focused in my little "zone"

I understand some people find comfort in voices they have known and come to trust. But there will new ones who will bring that feeling back eventually and ones who wont confuse you. All I ask for is something close to being competent. I'm not asking for a whole lot.

So instead of referring to this as a "hissy" as you put it, I think its more apt to call it constructive criticism.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
The worst part of that was that he ruined the whole game, the fact that he got the name wrong determined the outcome of the game! :cry:

Jesus, you guys will complain about anything. :shakehead

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
Haha yeah I cant stand these two. Although I must mention, I SWEAR I heard one of the announcers on TSN call Daniel Sedin...DANIEL SUNDIN. Ooh triplets :shakehead :sarcasm:

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
BeLeafer87 said:
Haha yeah I cant stand these two. Although I must mention, I SWEAR I heard one of the announcers on TSN call Daniel Sedin...DANIEL SUNDIN. Ooh triplets :shakehead :sarcasm:

That was Jim Hughson. You can really complain about that though. Sedin Sedin, Sundin... Every guy makes mistakes and Hughson is generally very good at his craft. Its just a small thing

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Hackett said:
You can speak for yourself when you call harry a "living legend"

And if you think that this is the only case where I got a little irked by Harry, you're sadly mistaken.

He confuses me because I look at the TV, and I'm thinking to myself, that was a russian that left the ice, how can it be smyth. Then I ask my buddies around me if I am mistaken. Multiply that by 100 and it gets to be irrititating to second guess yourself. There's just too much confusion.
I dont know if he is losing his sight or what but it needs to end.

I haven't listened to neale recently because CBC only shows leaf games nowadays for the 1st game of the twin bills. If I paid more attention to leaf games, I would have brought this up a long time ago. I only watch the leafs when they are playing the habs. I dont really pay attention to the commentators when the habs are playing because I'm so focused in my little "zone"

I understand some people find comfort in voices they have known and come to trust. But there will new ones who will bring that feeling back eventually and ones who wont confuse you. All I ask for is something close to being competent. I'm not asking for a whole lot.

So instead of referring to this as a "hissy" as you put it, I think its more apt to call it constructive criticism.

With age you become a little more confident in what you're seeing yourself and won't get so confused. Probably the best advice would be to sit back and enjoy the game and not rely so much on announcers to tell you what's going on.

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
Hackett said:
That was Jim Hughson. You can really complain about that though. Sedin Sedin, Sundin... Every guy makes mistakes and Hughson is generally very good at his craft. Its just a small thing

Nope can't complain, just thought it was funny. I prefer listening to their voices than Cole and Neale, way past their prime!

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
ACC1224 said:
With age you become a little more confident in what you're seeing yourself and won't get so confused. Probably the best advice would be to sit back and enjoy the game and not rely so much on announcers to tell you what's going on.

Is it to be my expectation now that the colour guy knows less about what's going on in the game than I do?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Hackett said:
Is it to be my expectation now that the colour guy knows less about what's going on in the game than I do?

Nope which isn't the case.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
ACC1224 said:
Nope which isn't the case.

You need to elaborate on that one.

All you are saying is that you have no problem with a low standard of broadcasting. You're essentially saying that its okay for the broadcasters to be making continuous mistakes because they are "legends"

Well, should mark messier still be playing hockey?

These arguments are weak.

If you perform below satisfactory levels in the real world whether you're a long time employee or not, you get cut.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Hackett said:
You need to elaborate on that one.

All you are saying is that you have no problem with a low standard of broadcasting. You're essentially saying that its okay for the broadcasters to be making continuous mistakes because they are "legends"

Well, should mark messier still be playing hockey?

These arguments are weak.

If you perform below satisfactory levels in the real world whether you're a long time employee or not, you get cut.

I'm not really arguing anything. To me it's silly to get upset about an annoucer getting something wrong. If you know it's wrong then you don't need the annoucer to help you. I guess I'm on more of the who cares side.

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
I concur. I'm currently watching the Finland - Russia game, Neale made a mistake and said Nabakov plays for Finland... Although he did correct himself right after, I find Bob Cole to be way more senile. Bob Cole, when commenting on Ruutu's hit on Jgar, said Jgar never played another shift for the Czechs after. What??????? He was in the Canada - Czech game. The same game he called! He was playing in the Slovakia game and then the Sweeden game this morning. Not once did Cole correct himself (cause I think he really believes Jgar didn't play another shift after the Ruutu hit) and of course Neale was talking about Jgar in this morning's Sweden game all along while Cole was talking about Jgar not playing another shift after the hit.

Hmm... Does CBC have no clue? Did they not have one when Cole called the 2002 Team Canada, "The Leafs"? This is 4 years later and with age, he's gotten worse. I understand that at one point in his life, he was great. But now, it's 2006 and he's at least 10 years overdue for retirement.

I can't stand people who were hired for a purpose and can't fufill that purpose anymore and are still being employed.

My two cents.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
someguy44 said:
I concur. I'm currently watching the Finland - Russia game, Neale made a mistake and said Nabakov plays for Finland... Although he did correct himself right after, I find Bob Cole to be way more senile. Bob Cole, when commenting on Ruutu's hit on Jgar, said Jgar never played another shift for the Czechs after. What??????? He was in the Canada - Czech game. The same game he called! He was playing in the Slovakia game and then the Sweeden game this morning. Not once did Cole correct himself (cause I think he really believes Jgar didn't play another shift after the Ruutu hit) and of course Neale was talking about Jgar in this morning's Sweden game all along while Cole was talking about Jgar not playing another shift after the hit.

Hmm... Doe CBC have no clue? Did they not have one when Cole called the 2002 Team Canada, "The Leafs"? This is 4 years later and with age, he's gotten worse. I understand that at one point in his life, he was great. But now, it's 2006 and he's at least 10 years overdue for retirement.

I can't stand people who were hired for a purpose and can't fufill that purpose anymore still being employed.

My two cents.

I think he was referring to Jagr not playing another shift in that game.

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
ACC1224 said:
I'm not really arguing anything. To me it's silly to get upset about an annoucer getting something wrong. If you know it's wrong then you don't need the annoucer to help you. I guess I'm on more of the who cares side.

Would it be silly if I told you you suck at your job (let's just assume you really do - no offense) and I say this because I'm a patron of the organization that hired you?

That's what CBC is. We are the patrons. Without us, they would not exist. Hire compotent broadcasters or we tune you out to a competitor! Why do you think CBC isn't getting the rights to the next Winter Olympics? Obviously, someone didn't think it's silly.

Anyway, it's obviously not silly because the viewers can't follow everything and that's why there are announcers. Cole and Neale obviously don't have a clue and they're not helping us at all.

Last edited:

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
ACC1224 said:
I think he was referring to Jagr not playing another shift in that game.

That's what you want to believe, but he said nothing of the sort. You're just putting words in his mouth now.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
someguy44 said:
That's what you want to believe, but he said nothing of the sort. You're just putting words in his mouth now.

not really, I didn't hear him say anything just guessing.....did you hear him say he never played another shift in the tournament or are you putting words in his mouth?

Hockey_Nut99

God these guys are PATHETIC. Finland just hit the post and they are so behind the play, they didn't even mention it.

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
ACC1224 said:
not really, I didn't hear him say anything just guessing.....did you hear him say he never played another shift in the tournament or are you putting words in his mouth?

His words were "Jgar never played another shift since." So what words am I putting in his mouth? You're the only one defending him and I don't know why cause he's obviously past his prime and if it's acceptable to you, then fine. However, it's unacceptable to the majority of viewers.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I love it when these idiots are so confused they have to wait for a replay to try to explain what just happened. And then when we all see the replay, they still describe something totally different than we just saw.

"That may have ticked off Nabokov's shoulder, we'll have to wait and see the replay..."

*Replay clearly show it didn't touch him.*

"Yep he got a piece of it alright. Right off the shoulder."

And the thing that gets me is Harry telling us the distance (in feet) every goal was scored from. I ****ing hate that.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
someguy44 said:
His words were "Jgar never played another shift since." So what words am I putting in his mouth? You're the only one defending him and I don't know why cause he's obviously past his prime and if it's acceptable to you, then fine. However, it's unacceptable to the majority of viewers.

that to me could be taken either way but whatever seems you're getting a little upset by this so we'll just leave it alone.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
ccliquer said:
Well, Neale just called the Finnish team 'the Swedish team'. :shakehead

:biglaugh: Almost as good as calling Team Canada the Maple Leafs.

Man do those two ever suck. Absolutely useless on PBP and colour. Even while watching replays they still don't know what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->