Harry Kane's NFL dream

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Tottenham Hotspur and England Strike Harry Kane says he wouldn't mind giving another kind of football a try down the road.

"The desire to play in The NFL is real," Kane told ESPN. "It's something that I want in 10 or 12 years, I definitely want to try. "

Not sure how serious he is.

But if he is, 10 -1 2 years will be around the time his leg strength starts to go.

Gary Anderson - who I played soccer against at Syracuse, was still young when he started kicking an American football. Steve Christie, who I played soccer with, after his NFL career, told me his leg strength was diminishing when he hit his mid 30's. So Kane's plan is very flawed.

He might be able to learn place kicking fairly quickly, and be quite proficient now. Not 10 - 12 years later.

Personally I roll my eyes when I hear soccer players talk about place kicking like it's a simple adjustment. I too could kick a ball off a tee and hit from 50 yards out - when I was younger. Kicking a ball so it's elevated well over seven feet in the air within 7 yards is a hella lot harder than looks.

But hey, it makes a cool story, and I wish him luck.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I find it hard to believe that leg strength will stop Kane.

I remember some years ago the Norwegian that was kicking balls around making YouTube-videos - he made it to the NFL (made it as in played a game or two). If Kane reaches that level he'll play just for the marketing of things.

Not saying becoming a NFL-kicker is easy, but it is probably one of the roles you can a bit "randomly" be good at.

I got no idea if Kane would be good at it though. However, I'm guessing he has tested it a bit so that he knows he isn't completely useless.

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
Don't these kicker guys have low pay (in the pro sports context), little job security and very stressful jobs? I seriously doubt he's going to be interested in becoming an NFL kicker at the age of 35+ after a lucrative and successful career as a football superstar.

I read the ESPN article and I think that was just a way for the writer/interviewer to make Kane and the piece more appealing to US readers.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
He obviously isn't going to do it for the money. The experience is probably still more interesting than endless beach holidays. Football players got to do something after their career - might as well play (or watch games) in the NFL for a couple of years.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Don't these kicker guys have low pay (in the pro sports context), little job security and very stressful jobs? I seriously doubt he's going to be interested in becoming an NFL kicker at the age of 35+ after a lucrative and successful career as a football superstar.

I read the ESPN article and I think that was just a way for the writer/interviewer to make Kane and the piece more appealing to US readers.

"If you play in the Premier League and the World Cup and you then play in the NFL, would you then be considered one of the greatest sportsmen ever?"

NFL: Harry Kane wants to play as kicker 'in 10 or 12 years'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad