Harry Howell

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
With his passing I got to thinking of him and looked up his career. Of course numbers for a defenceman during that era is certainly not much to go on. Hoping some of the posters older then me can offer some insight to his career, playing style etc.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
When he won the Norris in 1967 he had an amazing prediction that actually rung true. He said: "I'm glad I won this one because Bobby Orr is going to win the next 10." He won the next 8. Good call Harry.

I think they may have given Howell the Norris that year in sort of a "lifetime achievement" sense? Pilote and Orr both had more points than him that season but perhaps there was no overwhelmingly obvious choice?

Reactions: Tarantula

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think they may have given Howell the Norris that year in sort of a "lifetime achievement" sense? Pilote and Orr both had more points than him that season but perhaps there was no overwhelmingly obvious choice?

1967 wasn't a strong year for the Norris by any means, so perhaps this helps Howell. Pilote might have also had a bit of "voter fatigue" going against him. I think he earned it though. Not the most overwhelming career for a HHOFer by any means but I think I'd have given it to him that year as well factoring everything else in. As said above, helping the Rangers get in to the playoffs was a huge deal.

Reactions: Tarantula

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad